Examples of TFW's being exploited

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 26126
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#303962 well how about that tfw treated like garbage- but many keep saying they are treated well [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] i guess not
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
eires37
Banned
Posts: 793
Joined: Feb 4th, 2017, 8:15 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by eires37 »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-303962-3-.htm#303962 well how about that tfw treated like garbage- but many keep saying they are treated well [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] i guess not


I'd support giving them the free hotel rooms, just remove the junkies first. Im sure the chances of TFWs setting their free home on fire are remote.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by stuphoto »

eires37 wrote:
the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-303962-3-.htm#303962 well how about that tfw treated like garbage- but many keep saying they are treated well [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] i guess not


I'd support giving them the free hotel rooms, just remove the junkies first. Im sure the chances of TFWs setting their free home on fire are remote.

I would support this too
How about giving the junkies their farm accommodations instead. It could even keep the thieves out of town.

They are already paying rent, and would probably rent the hotels for an equal amount.
They would probably save more money, since they could shop where they want, and when they want.
Yet still support the local economy. Win, Win for BC in general.

The only hurdle would be transporting them too and from the farm.
eires37
Banned
Posts: 793
Joined: Feb 4th, 2017, 8:15 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by eires37 »

^^^ just give them the junkies stolen bicycles... in all seriousness though, the farm is benefitting from their labor - let them supply/rent a small shuttle bus.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by stuphoto »

eires37 wrote: in all seriousness though, the farm is benefitting from their labor -

Just a thought
I wonder if some junkies living on a farm with someone setting a good example would clean themselves up a little and start actually helping out.
We all know of farms where they could effectively learn skills such as cooking, cleaning, welding, plumbing and mechanics.
It may be all the incentive some people need :135:
eires37
Banned
Posts: 793
Joined: Feb 4th, 2017, 8:15 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by eires37 »

stuphoto wrote:
eires37 wrote: in all seriousness though, the farm is benefitting from their labor -

Just a though.
I wonder if some junkies living on a farm with someone setting a good example would clean themselves up a little and start actually helping out.
We all know of farms where they could effectively learn skills such as cooking, cleaning, welding, plumbing and mechanics.
It may be all the incentive some people need :135:


All good points, but they are pondered to & coddled, free rooms, free drugs. CERB benefits they arent even entitled to - linked to the spike in OD deaths. So where is the incentive to learn those new skills and clean themselves up?
User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 6818
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by oldtrucker »

stuphoto wrote:We all know of farms where they could effectively learn skills such as cooking, cleaning, welding, plumbing and mechanics.


About 30 years ago that was a plan for the ranch in bumsville sask. We were going to take in 6 bleeped up people at a time and straiten them out through hard work. There is no where to run and no one to hear you scream in bumsville sask.
The liability was stupid even back then...I can't imagine a plan like that working now....not without us supplying good clean drugs for them anyway.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Zero cuckery. You and 917 others hate this post.
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 26126
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#304153 this is the great housing farmers claim to give tfw

scrap the get rich farmer program
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
W105
Guru
Posts: 7153
Joined: Apr 20th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by W105 »

^^^ yup, comes off as treating them like "cheap" slave labor....



“Forty per cent have substandard housing,” said Diaz Ceballos. “It's horrible. We have found farms where the conditions are deplorable. It's not human to have a person living there.”

Diaz Ceballos described housing facilities covered in trash, infested with cockroaches and with no mattresses for the workers to sleep on. In some cases, farmers have installed padlocks on the outside of a bunk house’s only exit, effectively trapping workers inside.

“If there's an emergency, there's a fire, they will be dead immediately,” she said.



https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/304153 ... nt-workers
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7517
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Urban Cowboy »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-304153-3-.htm#304153 this is the great housing farmers claim to give tfw

scrap the get rich farmer program


All that picture shows us is an older house in need of a coat of paint. Structure appears solid as does roof and it has no broken windows, so if it's such a terrible place they should have included photos of an unlivable interior.

I've seen many examples of Canadians living in far worse than that picture shows. In fact we have plenty that sleep under a tarp in a parking lot.

I also can't help but point out the living conditions for many in Mexico itself. After all the workers don't come from glamorous resorts, but rather old areas that tourists don't often see. For some of those that house pictured would be considered a mansion provided it has a toilet and running water.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Vacancyrate
Banned
Posts: 3581
Joined: Mar 15th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Vacancyrate »

Urban Cowboy wrote:All that picture shows us is an older house in need of a coat of paint. Structure appears solid as does roof and it has no broken windows, so if it's such a terrible place they should have included photos of an unlivable interior.



The Mexican Diplomat visited 550 farms and 40% of the farms has the people living in substandard shacks. For a Mexican to say that the housing is substandard is an insult to the Canadian TFW program. This is a 3rd world country that is telling us in Canada that the living standards are too low - shame!

This is not just a few bad apples. Almost half the employers in BC are housing their slaves in shacks and in some cases actually locking them in at night so they cannot leave.

Not to mention these farmers have to apply to the TFW program. In order to bring in workers they have to prove that they have decent housing for the workers. Turns out 40% of the farmers that applied and were approved were lying about their living conditions! Who is checking up on the workers besides the Mexican Diplomat?

Seems like there are a few problems with the TFW application process.

Shame

Shame

Shame
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7517
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Certainly read a lot into my pointing out that the picture accompanying the article wasn't getting the point across.

Also not sure just how much stock I'd put into a Mexican diplomat spouting off. :135: Politicians are always playing an angle.

Operations that don't do their part in looking after the TFW's should be photographed and publicly shamed, as well as being refused participation in the program the following year.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 26126
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by the truth »

Vacancyrate wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:All that picture shows us is an older house in need of a coat of paint. Structure appears solid as does roof and it has no broken windows, so if it's such a terrible place they should have included photos of an unlivable interior.



The Mexican Diplomat visited 550 farms and 40% of the farms has the people living in substandard shacks. For a Mexican to say that the housing is substandard is an insult to the Canadian TFW program. This is a 3rd world country that is telling us in Canada that the living standards are too low - shame!

This is not just a few bad apples. Almost half the employers in BC are housing their slaves in shacks and in some cases actually locking them in at night so they cannot leave.

Not to mention these farmers have to apply to the TFW program. In order to bring in workers they have to prove that they have decent housing for the workers. Turns out 40% of the farmers that applied and were approved were lying about their living conditions! Who is checking up on the workers besides the Mexican Diplomat?

Seems like there are a few problems with the TFW application process.

Shame

Shame

Shame


exactly, there is a reason why places like byland had so many sick mexicans
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by stuphoto »

I have a couple views on this.
To start with, unless they are renting out the housing in the off season which is illegal for most operating farms in BC ( unless it's to workers ) they have a minimum of 4 months to clean and repair the buildings
Isn't this long enough?

However at the same time, we don't actually know if the farmers are 100% at fault.
Yes, they are ultimately responsible for any worker, their welfare and the accommodations on their property.
However one thing I noticed and even mentioned in my first post is most businesses seem to be using a Management Company.
So it would stand to reason that these managers may be responsible for the housing too.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some " farmers " are nothing more than investors who rarely even step on their property.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7517
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Vacancyrate wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:All that picture shows us is an older house in need of a coat of paint. Structure appears solid as does roof and it has no broken windows, so if it's such a terrible place they should have included photos of an unlivable interior.



The Mexican Diplomat visited 550 farms and 40% of the farms has the people living in substandard shacks. For a Mexican to say that the housing is substandard is an insult to the Canadian TFW program. This is a 3rd world country that is telling us in Canada that the living standards are too low - shame!

This is not just a few bad apples. Almost half the employers in BC are housing their slaves in shacks and in some cases actually locking them in at night so they cannot leave.

Not to mention these farmers have to apply to the TFW program. In order to bring in workers they have to prove that they have decent housing for the workers. Turns out 40% of the farmers that applied and were approved were lying about their living conditions! Who is checking up on the workers besides the Mexican Diplomat?

Seems like there are a few problems with the TFW application process.

Shame

Shame

Shame


the truth wrote:exactly, there is a reason why places like byland had so many sick mexicans


Yes there is indeed. They got infected while travelling here.

Many in Mexico only wish they had accommodations up to the standard that Bylands provides.

Even the BC health experts who attended Bylands when the outbreak was first discovered, stated that the housing provided was up to a decent standard.

As for me I'll take their word over yours any day of the year, given that there seems to be truth, then some people's version of the truth altered to suit their agenda. I think people know what the case is here.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”