Examples of TFW's being exploited

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Vacancyrate
Banned
Posts: 3581
Joined: Mar 15th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Vacancyrate »

stuphoto wrote:However one thing I noticed and even mentioned in my first post is most businesses seem to be using a Management Company.


"It's not me it's the contractor that I hired specifically to house these people in shacks at a ultra low cost!"
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 26192
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by the truth »

[qute="Urban Cowboy"]
Vacancyrate wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:All that picture shows us is an older house in need of a coat of paint. Structure appears solid as does roof and it has no broken windows, so if it's such a terrible place they should have included photos of an unlivable interior.



The Mexican Diplomat visited 550 farms and 40% of the farms has the people living in substandard shacks. For a Mexican to say that the housing is substandard is an insult to the Canadian TFW program. This is a 3rd world country that is telling us in Canada that the living standards are too low - shame!

This is not just a few bad apples. Almost half the employers in BC are housing their slaves in shacks and in some cases actually locking them in at night so they cannot leave.

Not to mention these farmers have to apply to the TFW program. In order to bring in workers they have to prove that they have decent housing for the workers. Turns out 40% of the farmers that applied and were approved were lying about their living conditions! Who is checking up on the workers besides the Mexican Diplomat?

Seems like there are a few problems with the TFW application process.

Shame

Shame

Shame


the truth wrote:exactly, there is a reason why places like byland had so many sick mexicans


Yes there is indeed. They got infected while travelling here.

Many in Mexico only wish they had accommodations up to the standard that Bylands provides.

Even the BC health experts who attended Bylands when the outbreak was first discovered, stated that the housing provided was up to a decent standard.

As for me I'll take their word over yours any day of the year, given that there seems to be truth, then some people's version of the truth altered to suit their agenda. I think people know what the case is here.[/quote]

decent standard you say- [icon_lol2.gif] i can just imagine ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7526
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Might want to spend some of that screen time learning how to quote properly, as it seems to be a recurring issue. :-X

There's a "preview" button in place for a reason.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
W105
Guru
Posts: 7223
Joined: Apr 20th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by W105 »

well 40% (almost half) of BC Farmers apparently don't give a merde about how they treat their employees...if they have no concern about housing them like animals, it's pretty easy to assume that they work them like animals...cheap, slave labor...

if any Canadian is ok with that then you're :cuss:
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7526
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Urban Cowboy »

W105 wrote:well 40% (almost half) of BC Farmers apparently don't give a merde about how they treat their employees...if they have no concern about housing them like animals, it's pretty easy to assume that they work them like animals...cheap, slave labor...

if any Canadian is ok with that then you're :cuss: ..


You know what they say about assuming I hope.

Also based on your remark if you're making accusations, without having visited any of these bad housing situations, you may as well look in the mirror to see a :cuss: . :-X
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10685
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Catsumi »

Keep this impersonal please.
:topic:
“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” - Mark Twain

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Edward Abbey
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7526
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Urban Cowboy »

One more observation I need to mention is, considering how many farms I've had occasion to do work at over the last couple of decades, I find it very suspicious that all the places I saw were decent living conditions, in fact often new structures, or modular buildings.

If 40% are slum like conditions one would think I'd have come across at least one or two. :135:

Something certainly doesn't add up.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by stuphoto »

Just pointing out that some farmers hire locals, and aren't at all linked to these statistics.
W105
Guru
Posts: 7223
Joined: Apr 20th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by W105 »

well this is a hard decision to make...who to believe ?? Mexico’s top diplomat in British Columbia , who visited 350 farms and spoke to 5000 workers in the last four yrs and said the conditions for housing are horrific and not fit for an animal to live in...OR...a stranger on the internet who said that he's done some work at farms in the last 20 yrs who thinks that this person is lying because what he saw doesn't match up ??

you don't have to believe what this top diplomat from Mexico said Urban Cowboy but just because you don't doesn't make it untrue....if you have such solid proof that it's all a lie, then please take it to the media and prove the accusation wrong..

btw, who knew that the word "dick" is a censored word on here...pity anybody who has the name Dick on the board...lol
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 26192
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by the truth »

W105 wrote:well this is a hard decision to make...who to believe ?? Mexico’s top diplomat in British Columbia , who visited 350 farms and spoke to 5000 workers in the last four yrs and said the conditions for housing are horrific and not fit for an animal to live in...OR...a stranger on the internet who said that he's done some work at farms in the last 20 yrs who thinks that this person is lying because what he saw doesn't match up ??

you don't have to believe what this top diplomat from Mexico said Urban Cowboy but just because you don't doesn't make it untrue....if you have such solid proof that it's all a lie, then please take it to the media and prove the accusation wrong..

btw, who knew that the word "dick" is a censored word on here...pity anybody who has the name Dick on the board...lol

agree 100%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11576
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by LANDM »

Good to see the "woke" people here.
Of the roughly 550 B.C. farms with Mexican migrant workers, Diaz Ceballos said she has visited more than 350 of them and has spoken to over 5,000 workers over the last four years.

“Forty per cent have substandard housing,” said Diaz Ceballos. “It's horrible. We have found farms where the conditions are deplorable. It's not human to have a person living there.”

Diaz Ceballos described housing facilities covered in trash, infested with cockroaches and with no mattresses for the workers to sleep on. In some cases, farmers have installed padlocks on the outside of a bunk house’s only exit, effectively trapping workers inside.

“If there's an emergency, there's a fire, they will be dead immediately,” she said.

She doesn’t say where these farms are located, but I have seen zero reference to our area. It also doesn’t say when she visited them, as visiting in the off season, when nobody is occupying them, has little to do with the state when occupied.
Of the 140 farms she claims were substandard, it will be useful to hear a response from the farm community. If those were 140 farms in the off season in the lower mainland, I would be far less surprised than if she found 140 farms during the usage season in the Okanagan.
Also, she did not say what the substandard issues are. Only that there were circumstances where it was deplorable, not that all of them were. If she visited off season, having exterior locks would be appropriate for security as long as they are removed during the season for compliance.

It requires more information but, I’m sure the woke new labor activists here will be out today protesting local farmers with FWLM signs. :biggrin:

Perhaps living in West Van for many years has made her perception of farmworker housing a bit jaded. And, since I am certain that some of the new anti-farm labor experts here are also disbelievers in climate change, you will have to change your mind since she has strong opinions on that too and she must be right.......right?

But, the reality is, I would like more information before assuming anything, but others are welcome to get out the pitchforks and torches and march on the farms tonight.
And, for the record and so the newly minted SJW's don’t pile on me, I believe that any substandard housing that is present during the season or immediately prior to use should result in that farmer losing their ability to participate in the SAWP. I do not, and would not, condone that in any way.
You and 71 others Like this post
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11576
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by LANDM »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/307371/Orchards-plead-for-workers-as-they-are-forced-to-abandon-crops

Looks like the people arguing against TFWs because they aren’t needed are spectacularly wrong. Not that if was a surprise.

Where are all those hardworking Canadians? :-X
You and 71 others Like this post
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by stuphoto »

Doesn't mean a thing.

Are those farmers actually going to treat their Canadian workers decently?
Will they offer the Canadian workers traveling safe clean accommodations like they are supposed to with TFW's?
How about fair pay?

Besides correct me if I am wrong, but the farmers can still bring in workers.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/30 ... ction-deal

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/302807 ... rm-workers

This is the most likely cause for their issues.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/303962 ... nt-workers
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 26192
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by the truth »

exactly....................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru
Posts: 5761
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Even Steven »

We have record unemployment.

And record shortage of farm workers.

Put these together to understand how much Canadian workers would like to do actual labour.

If this isn't an argument for TFWs I don't know what is.

Return to “Social Concerns”