OKIB member selling cannabis off reserve

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Should our government put their foot down and stop the off reserve sale of cannabis?

Poll ended at Jun 18th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Yes
68%
No
32%
Unsure
No votes

Total votes: 25

crankster
Banned

Re: OKIB member selling cannabis off reserve

Post by crankster »

Bsuds wrote:
crankster wrote: Can thank Blackface the space cadet for that.

It's been going on a lot longer that he's been around. Find a new song as that one is getting pretty old!

Oh thats right. there are excuses for Black face. There are excuses for treason and being a traitor. Make excuses for attacking my land and infrastructure. Make excuses for that useless piece of *bleep* while he divides Canada right down the line!!
You want the biggest racist? You want a global colonialist?? GO AFTER TRUDEAU AND THE UN AND STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE LITTLE *bleep*!
Go ahead and attack my railroads again. See what happens.
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I voted yes, not because I don’t think that the sale of cannabis should be disallowed and not because of the arguments I see put forward by others. His retail outlets on band land should be left alone and, I believe, that has been the case. However, if the argument is then to start granting or assuming the same rights on what is viewed as unceded traditional lands, that would open a Pandora’s box for every property around.
Leave him alone on reserve lands but treat him the same (no differently) than other unlicensed retailers. I noticed an unlicensed pot shop in Vancouver was getting a very recent visit from the PoPo as I walked by, after snubbing their noses and selling illegally since licensing began. It’s a risk for them and they shouldn’t be surprised when others have had to go through the overly rigourous licensing process.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

crankster wrote:
Bsuds wrote:It's been going on a lot longer that he's been around. Find a new song as that one is getting pretty old!

Oh thats right. there are excuses for Black face. There are excuses for treason and being a traitor. Make excuses for attacking my land and infrastructure. Make excuses for that useless piece of *bleep* while he divides Canada right down the line!!
You want the biggest racist? You want a global colonialist?? GO AFTER TRUDEAU AND THE UN AND STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE LITTLE *bleep*!
Go ahead and attack my railroads again. See what happens.

Not making excuses for anyone just tired of some people blaming everything on 1 person! I don't care who it is.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Podonk wrote:Am I the only person who is getting fed up with the double standard surrounding indigenous peoples, reserves, and our provincial and federal governments? Seems to me anytime our society and laws can help indigenous people they not only take full advantage, they argue its their right and demand it be provided. But when our social norms and laws are an inconvenience to indigenous people they argue that it violates their rights and demand to be let do what they see fit. I for one am sick to death of seeing it be allowed both ways, looking for input to see if I am just rude and bias, or if others see it the same way.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/30 ... ff-reserve

I don't love the current situation we find ourselves in. First Nations peoples have all sorts of rights that I'm ignorant to though. As such, I wouldn't complain about my own ignorance to their rights.

Keep in mind that our social norms have evolved in time, whereas First Nations rights were created long ago. We can socially and culturally evolve away from what First Nations were promised, but that doesn't mean they don't still have those rights.

Again though, I find myself quite ignorant to their treaty rights. I leave that as a fight between First Nations and government.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Brass Monkey wrote:
bb49 wrote:I'm pretty certain that most Canadians are fed up with the double standard shown towards the natives. Two sets of laws, one for a group based on their DNA and another for the rest if us. (If that isn't racist...)

But our laws never be equalized until we elect politicians with balls.

Yes, two sets of laws, that's why Indigenous people are incarcerated at the highest rate in the country, because they get away with everything.

They get incarcerated because they've broken criminal laws.

As for this guy, his business should be raided and if charges apply, then he should be charged.
His DNA should not come into play.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Brass Monkey wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:Especially for an idiot taking advantage like this guy is.

He is clearly benefiting from our culture and if allowed to operate with no licence, then so can I, I'll sell pot out front of his store every day.... because you know my heritage laws from Europe, um, say I can?

Yea, he looks real oppressed and starving and needs all the leniency he can get.. lol

What makes it your culture? The buying and selling of materials and services has been a concept since the dawn of humanity.

Don't you think your European heritage would be better applied on European land, and not Indian land?

Pot was not an integral part of pre-contact First Nations lives:
https://www.leafly.ca/news/politics/indigenous-canadians-pre-european-contact

Nothing makes it my culture, same as the First Nations. No, my heritage can be applied in Canada thank you. He's not on reserve land with his latest store, the store in question. If he would like to operate in the city he can apply for a permit like the rest of us.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

bb49 wrote:They get incarcerated because they've broken criminal laws.

As for this guy, his business should be raided and if charges apply, then he should be charged.

They get incarcerated because they don’t get to bypass the justice system as frivolously as some members of this forum think they do.

It’s not about his DNA, it’s about his land. The principle factor in all of this is that he is operating on his own land never ceded.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

Brass Monkey wrote:
bb49 wrote:They get incarcerated because they've broken criminal laws.

They get incarcerated because they don’t get to bypass the justice system as frivolously as some members of this forum think they do.

It’s not about his DNA, it’s about his land. The principle factor in all of this is that he is operating on his own land never ceded.

Not his land. Its all of ours. I disagree with all of it.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

crankster wrote:Not his land. Its all of ours. I disagree with all of it.

It’s Okanagan Territory and nothing else, don’t like it then head back to the homeland.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
AtlantisKelowna
Board Meister

Post by AtlantisKelowna »

Brass Monkey wrote:

It’s Okanagan Territory and nothing else, don’t like it then head back to the homeland.

It's this kind of belief that is hindering society from moving forward and creating a racist free world for future generations. I know many might disagree because this is such a touchy subject for many but does that mean we just avoid the conversation all together?

Change is needed on both sides of this street as the entitlement on both sides of this battle create tension, racism and hatred. I cant speak on the years of oppression that many aboriginal people faced over the years and I definitely do not agree with it either but I can try and do my part to make the world a better place when I leave it.

Do you not want to create a better world for future generations or would you prefer to let this continue for years to come? If we teach our children that every person no matter their race is equal we will be re-writing history and fixing the issues at hand.

I was born in Canada, I contribute to my community and I would put my life on the line to protect our country. For those reasons this country is just as much my land as it is yours.

I'm educated on the history of Canada and am not entirely proud of how things were handled hundreds of years ago (neither are most Canadian's) but I cant change the history of this country, all I can do is fight for a better future.

Hopefully one day we can agree and unite in order to fight for the real freedom of this country!
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

You see, that is the difference. I'm entitled to nothing I didn't work for. I feel no entitlement to anything other than I'm a human and I'm Canadian. The forests, mountains, rivers and trees are no ones! But belong to everyone! It is the constant attitude of the indian to say we were here first its mine. To constantly be whining give me more give me more!!! What entitles them other than they were here first. Such a lame and greedy argument!
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Brass Monkey wrote:

Excuse me? You don't know if crankster was born here, immigrated, or what race his not so distant ancestors are. Becasue of this, what homeland do you refer to? If he indeed is born in Canada, there is no "homeland" to go to.

You live with over 7 billion other people on the planet. I used to believe in people at least adapting to living here by learning the language and our customs and not demanding any special rules (face coverings for drivers licenses, etc.). I've come to learn that the way other people chose to live doesn't affect me. I can live by my own customs and values and they can live with theirs. I've learned to share. I hope you can learn to see all the great opportunities available for First Nations people today. I won't say the reserves are the best places to live, but it is land that was given to be used however the First Nations see fit. I'd love to have access to land like that! I hope you can learn that we share, there is reserve land that this guy can open as many stores as the First Nations council there will let him, and then there is another space for him to open in the city but he must apply for proper licensing. Without laws in place, as you have on the reserves, all order will break down should First Nations be allowed to operate anywhere without permits. What other law-abiding business will stand a chance?
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

crankster wrote:You see, that is the difference. I'm entitled to nothing I didn't work for. I feel no entitlement to anything other than I'm a human and I'm Canadian. The forests, mountains, rivers and trees are no ones! But belong to everyone! It is the constant attitude of the indian to say we were here first its mine. To constantly be whining give me more give me more!!! What entitles them other than they were here first. Such a lame and greedy argument!

The irony in a statement like this when natives saw land loss of 99% because of immigrant settlers. Those damn greedy natives, sweeping over the world and taking other people’s land.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Sparki55 wrote:
Excuse me? You don't know if crankster was born here, immigrated, or what race his not so distant ancestors are. Becasue of this, what homeland do you refer to? If he indeed is born in Canada, there is no "homeland" to go to.

You live with over 7 billion other people on the planet. I used to believe in people at least adapting to living here by learning the language and our customs and not demanding any special rules (face coverings for drivers licenses, etc.). I've come to learn that the way other people chose to live doesn't affect me. I can live by my own customs and values and they can live with theirs. I've learned to share. I hope you can learn to see all the great opportunities available for First Nations people today. I won't say the reserves are the best places to live, but it is land that was given to be used however the First Nations see fit. I'd love to have access to land like that! I hope you can learn that we share, there is reserve land that this guy can open as many stores as the First Nations council there will let him, and then there is another space for him to open in the city but he must apply for proper licensing. Without laws in place, as you have on the reserves, all order will break down should First Nations be allowed to operate anywhere without permits. What other law-abiding business will stand a chance?

I know Crankster is not an Okanagan Indian, I know that Okanagan Territory is not his homeland.

You live in a country settled by people who paid no effort to learn the languages and all they did was demand special rules.

Okanagan Territory was not ceded to any colonial entity to decide who gets what land and where, the guy can open as many stores as he wants on his territory.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Brass Monkey wrote:Okanagan Territory was not ceded to any colonial entity to decide who gets what land and where, the guy can open as many stores as he wants on his territory.

Brass Monkey, do you see the contradictions in your comments? You'd like for him to be able to open a store to be paid in Canadian dollars, selling items that First Nations did not originally cultivate, so that he can make money to buy European luxurious, without applying for a business license that applies to all.

But, if he isn't allowed without a license, we should all go back to our homeland. Well if we did that, he'd have no customers, Canadian money would become worthless here, your society would go back 1000 years in advancement and life expectancy would drop to 35 years old.

Anyway, this won't be allowed, he'll either close up or buy a license. I'm only trying to help ease your hate.

Return to “Social Concerns”