Fine tuning the police debate

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
zoo
Übergod

Re: Fine tuning the police debate

Post by zoo »

occasional thoughts wrote:I'm curious to see what the usual suspects have to say, our friend from Regina and others, who have defended the police down to what they have for breakfast in the morning in other threads around here these days. They have been strangely and conspiculously silent so far. Silence being golden, we may eventually have to assume that we've found a segment of police action that police defenders agree I wrong, should be criticized, and subject to legitimate criminal charges by authorities.

No, probably they realize the absolute craziness now involved amongst some of the usual suspects of world ending conspiracy theorists here.
Too funny, good entertainment though.
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

zoo wrote:
occasional thoughts wrote:I'm curious to see what the usual suspects have to say, our friend from Regina and others, who have defended the police down to what they have for breakfast in the morning in other threads around here these days. They have been strangely and conspiculously silent so far. Silence being golden, we may eventually have to assume that we've found a segment of police action that police defenders agree I wrong, should be criticized, and subject to legitimate criminal charges by authorities.

No, probably they realize the absolute craziness now involved amongst some of the usual suspects of world ending conspiracy theorists here.
Too funny, good entertainment though.

Really now? Have "I defended the police right down to what they have for breakfast in the morning?" Why yes, yes I have, but yet I have also included comments and thoughts on the other side of the coin as well.
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

OKkayak wrote:
occasional thoughts wrote:a Black man (of course)

So much for "fine tuning" the police debate.

Well, lets fine tune it this way. Say from now on we send only black police officers to black communities to deal with black people. So on and so forth for all colors. Let's be proper as well and send only female officers to deal with females. Again like colors deal with like colors. Nez Pas?
No racial garbage then. As to violence. If police are called to quell your *bleep* for a disturbance, a crime, a being a lowlife scum bag drunk drug addled criminal, expect to get your butt whipped. Pull a weapon, pay the consequence. Enough crying victim after a crime or running off at the mouth. Call a cop a derogatory name and expect to eat knuckles or baton. Plain and simple. Equal for EVERYBODY.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I read through pretty well if not every post in Defund The Police until a day or two ago. There are posters therein who would sometime run 3 or 4 posts in a row absolving police of any culpability in the current crop of police shootings, either side of the border. They were cases where the police MAY have overacted or used too much force, but where there wasn't an actual legal sanction on police behaviour. Usually the message was, everyone who got shot or otherwise deserved it because they started by breaking a law. I can't name the posters or the mods will delete: "making it personal". But they're absent here o far. Don't want to stand up and be counted that some police action is illegal and so wrong? That's my guess and what I'd wanted to know.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

When one goes skydiving, one accepts the risk of the parachute not opening.

When one lives in a house connected with drugs and firearms, one accepts the risk of police showing up and using appropriate force.

The only area for debate is how much force is required. In the case of Geroge, too much was used. In the case of the girl who was shot after her boyfriend fired a shot at cops, probably just enough force was used and accidentally hit an innocent person involved with the wrong people.

Fine-tuning the police isn't going to solve the above issues, yet those acts sparked the conversation.

What other portions can we help on? Maybe mental health calls.
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

occasional thoughts wrote:I read through pretty well if not every post in Defund The Police until a day or two ago. There are posters therein who would sometime run 3 or 4 posts in a row absolving police of any culpability in the current crop of police shootings, either side of the border. They were cases where the police MAY have overacted or used too much force, but where there wasn't an actual legal sanction on police behaviour. Usually the message was, everyone who got shot or otherwise deserved it because they started by breaking a law. I can't name the posters or the mods will delete: "making it personal". But they're absent here o far. Don't want to stand up and be counted that some police action is illegal and so wrong? That's my guess and what I'd wanted to know.

Sorry i was waiting for the red pen...I do try to keep up.
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

occasional thoughts wrote:I read through pretty well if not every post in Defund The Police until a day or two ago. There are posters therein who would sometime run 3 or 4 posts in a row absolving police of any culpability in the current crop of police shootings, either side of the border. They were cases where the police MAY have overacted or used too much force, but where there wasn't an actual legal sanction on police behaviour. Usually the message was, everyone who got shot or otherwise deserved it because they started by breaking a law. I can't name the posters or the mods will delete: "making it personal". But they're absent here o far. Don't want to stand up and be counted that some police action is illegal and so wrong? That's my guess and what I'd wanted to know.

I figure in your book, resisting arrest is not an offense? But a defense for a poor marginalized crack head having a bad day? I mean so sorry for that young lady that took one for her boy friend after he fired at the cops etc. Meh, whatever. Laws schmaws...
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

Its to the point now that is does not matter if one agrees that George Floyd died unessacrily. Of course the cop should punished. He broke the law. From the sounds of it, several times. I get it! George Floyd was not a fine upstanding citizen either!

There are other stories now where cops are villianized for to much force, but, each instance involved someone breaking a law are distressed to the point of restraint! The cops never had the chance cause media already has them as the bad guys and all white folk are racist!! If you are a white cop, you are double damned.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Policing is too important to our society to allow inexperienced young people to walk the streets with firearms and a badge, especially those right out of high school.

Young persons are more susceptible to the brainwashing, and more likely to get swept into the existing old boys network and wanting to be a team member, especially if some of the bad eggs within the police culture are still running the show.

For example, who remembers this local incident involving an overzealous young RCMP officer and the initial attempts by the RCMP brass to cover his tracks?

https://winnipegactivism.wordpress.com/ ... -barbaric/

Minimum age for entering police services should be 30 years old. Maybe 25 if you've served in the military or worked in Correctional Services.

At this age you will have been, for the most part anyways, "sorted out", have a body of relevant life experiences and education, and more likely to have a family and the maturity necessary to be a police officer.
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/30 ... ent-arrest

My case in point....laws schmaws. Some people can now attack RCMP without being charged. Is this the fairness you preach about? What more facts can I assemble for you to show the inequality going on here! Do you need further debate on the subject??
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

crankster wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/303648/Charges-dropped-against-First-Nations-chief-in-violent-arrest

My case in point....laws schmaws. Some people can now attack RCMP without being charged. Is this the fairness you preach about? What more facts can I assemble for you to show the inequality going on here! Do you need further debate on the subject??

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/charges-dro ... -1.4997688
Such a farce!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Well now this fine upstanding "Chief" who should be setting a example gets to no doubt carry on in life the same way as always.........wonder if he properly insured his vehicle?...........DOUBT IT!
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

lesliepaul wrote:Well now this fine upstanding "Chief" who should be setting a example gets to no doubt carry on in life the same way as always.........wonder if he properly insured his vehicle?...........DOUBT IT!

Yes well, now we see the double standard and two sets of laws. Three actually. One for the rich, in which they are not responsible for anything they do. One for the FN/Black/Asian etc etc and surprisingly its the same! Then the rest of us. Racists, disgusting white supremacists, responsible for all the ills of every colored race on the globe. Oh well...at least I'm not a hypocrite.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This video is amazing. It really does a good job explaining police brutality.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Yes, a 51:35 outline, explanation and justification of what many of us already suspect and feel about these things. It helps mute some possible criticism that the speaker is White and "Christian" and male, but his academic background will allow some of our fellow posters to dismiss him. For the very reason that "some" humans' behaviour will always necessitate the presence of traditional policing, "some" police officers will be bad apples and mal-motivated and should be identified and tossed or never hired.

Return to “Social Concerns”