Strange letter to the editor

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Strange letter to the editor

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Thebrewhouse wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote: Trump accused those who protested his speech of being "thugs", not realizing I suppose that in America, a president may speak (lies, truth, doesn't matter), but also ordinary citizens may speak and be heard when they don't agree with their president. Those are protestors, not thugs.

Many that are protesting are vandalizing, looting, arson, and violence... even murder. The radical left... groups like Antifa are absolute poison and are a bunch of thugs... the Democrats don’t denounce them. At least Trump and republicans have denounced far right groups that bring hate and violence.

Freedom of speech is being censored and taken away from us right in front of our eyes... especially on social media to the point that if you don’t post something along that doesn’t agree with the left wing narrative or agenda, it is censored or deleted. Fact checking is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Who checks the fact checkers? Lol. I think the best one I saw was a fact check that a trump t shirt that had an eagle on it represented the nazi symbol.... it also resembles the American Eagle... lol.
Here is the article from USA today!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 5414393002

so I think most of us (including most left or right) denounce violence and arson type behavior. There are radicals on the left and on the right, and some of them bring hate and violence. That is different from a blanket condemnation of "protestors' as thugs. so Trump certainly has a right to say what he wants about protestors, it's a mark of the man that he seems to think that those on the left are thugs if they protest his speeches. Because I saw video of a bunch of people protesting who were not committing violence, they were just protesting. That's freedom of expression, but Trump doesn't laud that, unless it's in his favor of course.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Gerry likes to write letters ( to Castanet and the Courier, Lake Country News, Kelowna News, blah blah)
He has fam in the USA according to his letter dated April 20th.. maybe that's why he champions the POTUS
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Thebrewhouse wrote:
kgcayenne wrote:Why is he in Canada, anyway. He should bugger-off to trumplandia and leave us the hell alone. That place is going to hell in a handbasket, and unfortunately, the contagion is beginning to emerge up here. There are two viruses being disruptive: SARS-CoV-2 and Trump-aligned American Propoganda.

Name the states and cities that are going to hell in a hand basket..
They are all democratic run...
Trump has called the senators and mayors of these places offering help to combat the looting, arson, vandalism, murder, protests, Etc... offering help to deal and control the unrest and all have refused.

The only propaganda I see is the far left ideologies and narrative being violently pushed as normal into American society and it is spilling over into Canada. BLM is an absolute joke. A few days after a black man is shot by a white police officer every one cries RACISM! Has anyone ever thought that maybe... just maybe the guy was shot because of his past dealings with the law and His resist and violence against the police? Not defending the policeman’s actions, but there are so many more details coming out now.... this guy had kids in the back of the car... he tried to jump back into the car to ( potentially drive away with 2 young lives, endangering them. ) he also was supposedly reaching for a weapon(knife).

I liked Mr. Rayner’s letter. It was well written and takes a lot of gumption to write something against the radical left... I am however fearful of Mr. Rayners safety now because the radical left are doing terrible things to those who do not go along with their beliefs. There is no such thing as freedom of speech anymore. People are losing their jobs, their property vandalized, even being hurt or killed because they don’t agree with the new cancel culture and the radical left ideologies.

People are being labelled racist for not supporting BLM... look at how all the sport leagues were forced into stoppages..... if you don’t go along with the far left ideologies, they will label you or your organization as racist, putting these leagues in very difficult positions.

Wow, there’s a lot in there to digest. Except it’s easy to digest and and spit out because it’s the same narrative that we hear over and over from people here and in the US so it’s not new.
Of course you like Rayner's letter. Your views align.

Your analysis of why a black man was shot.....because of his past dealings with police...is pretty standard.
Someone has a past record that you may or may not know about, shoot to kill. That’s within the law isn’t it? Which law?
Perhaps when cops start recognizing that the person they killed because they had an assault charge or a parking violation results in them being charged and convicted for *murder*, they may stop and think before they pull the trigger or allow someone to breathe. Probably not though.

As for your last line, people aren’t being labelled racist for not supporting BLM. They are being called racist for their actions and words. And that is valid for people on this forum too.
You and 71 others Like this post
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

Silverstarqueen wrote: so I think most of us (including most left or right) denounce violence and arson type behavior. There are radicals on the left and on the right, and some of them bring hate and violence. That is different from a blanket condemnation of "protestors' as thugs. so Trump certainly has a right to say what he wants about protestors, it's a mark of the man that he seems to think that those on the left are thugs if they protest his speeches. Because I saw video of a bunch of people protesting who were not committing violence, they were just protesting. That's freedom of expression, but Trump doesn't laud that, unless it's in his favor of course.

Trump is not calling all protestors “thugs”.... another quote from the Donald that is characteristically taken out of context.
I ask you this question...”when is the last time there was an actual peaceful demonstration or protest from the left, where no one was violent and nobody got hurt?
Many of these protests become an excuse for a mob mentality to damage, steal, assault, etc...
I have witnessed many protests or rallies from the right that are civil, respectful... I can’t say the same about the vast majority from the left wing... and my political beliefs are centre-leaning left.

Trump will win the election in 2020 easily, unless Biden denounces the radical left and becomes a more Center left wing democrat..

To those following Vegas odds... Trump is a very slight favourite again to win for the first time in 3 months 1.86 to Biden’s 1.95.
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

LANDM wrote:Wow, there’s a lot in there to digest. Except it’s easy to digest and and spit out because it’s the same narrative that we hear over and over from people here and in the US so it’s not new.

Your analysis of why a black man was shot.....because of his past dealings with police...is pretty standard.
Someone has a past record that you may or may not know about, shoot to kill. That’s within the law isn’t it? Which law?
Perhaps when cops start recognizing that the person they killed because they had an assault charge or a parking violation results in them being charged and convicted for *murder*, they may stop and think before they pull the trigger or allow someone to breathe. Probably not though.

As for your last line, people aren’t being labelled racist for not supporting BLM. They are being called racist for their actions and words. And that is valid for people on this forum too.

How do you know it was a shoot to kill? Mr.Blake is alive from what I hear... probably not going to walk again though.
How come the whole story isn’t shared though...why does the media conclude the headline “white cop shoot black guy 7 times”
How exactly do we know race is a factor in this case? The media paints a picture that the cop was thinking “ I am going to kill this black guy!” what if the cop was scared for his life...? Made a terrible error in judgement?

We as a society will never solve or learn from race issues if we paint every black/white scenario as having some racial prejudices included in it..

I disagree with your last statement... BLM and people who support the movement are criticizing those as racist or supporting racist ideologies for their lack of action or not using their platform to speak against it... especially the black athletes, actors, celebrities.

I am all for having a discussion about racism in our world, racisms still exists...
As a society, we need to be real about it, lets have open dialogue without attacks and prejudices being thrown around...
Forcing it... creates violence and unrest that is unnecessary and the message and growth against radical injustices are being lost.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

At one time in history it was considered cowardly thing to do is shoot someone in the back.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

GordonH wrote:At one time in history it was considered cowardly thing to do is shoot someone in the back.

Same with a sucker punch. It wasn't even so long ago.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Thebrewhouse wrote:
LANDM wrote:Wow, there’s a lot in there to digest. Except it’s easy to digest and and spit out because it’s the same narrative that we hear over and over from people here and in the US so it’s not new.

How do you know it was a shoot to kill? Mr.Blake is alive from what I hear... probably not going to walk again though.
How come the whole story isn’t shared though...why does the media conclude the headline “white cop shoot black guy 7 times”
How exactly do we know race is a factor in this case? The media paints a picture that the cop was thinking “ I am going to kill this black guy!” what if the cop was scared for his life...? Made a terrible error in judgement?

We as a society will never solve or learn from race issues if we paint every black/white scenario as having some racial prejudices included in it..

I disagree with your last statement... BLM and people who support the movement are criticizing those as racist or supporting racist ideologies for their lack of action or not using their platform to speak against it... especially the black athletes, actors, celebrities.

I am all for having a discussion about racism in our world, racisms still exists...
As a society, we need to be real about it, lets have open dialogue without attacks and prejudices being thrown around...
Forcing it... creates violence and unrest that is unnecessary and the message and growth against radical injustices are being lost.

How do I know it was shoot to kill? Really?

7 or 8 shots in the back at close range isn’t a "shoot to disable".

Yes, people are using their platform and wanting others to do so, but it has nothing to do with BLM-specific actions. It is to remedy the apparent inequities that have existed throughout the existence of America.
And, for the people that actively resist change and are happy with the status quo, defending the police and 17yr old kid, for example, that are actually charged with murder, their actions speak louder than their lame "I’m not a racist, but...." statements.

The inconsistency of saying, "I am against the violence and murder that mysteriously takes place with BLM", but then actively and enthusiastically support specific people who are literally charged with *murder* is quite incredulous. Talking about getting a Kenosha Triple, or whatever the prize was for shooting and killing/maiming three people is more than a bit bizarre. That was on this forum.
You and 71 others Like this post
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:200: :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Social Concerns”