Legal Canabis beats Illegal

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Nedroj
Board Meister

Legal Canabis beats Illegal

Post by Nedroj »

https://www.castanet.net/news/By-the-ou ... ts-illegal

Just wanted to continue the discussion about whether or not legal weed is cheaper/better quality than illegal.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
oldtrucker
Guru

Re: Legal Canabis beats Illegal

Post by oldtrucker »

As of Oct 2018 the quest for fire ended.
This legal weed has soooo much to choose from in quality, strength, taste....everything about it is orders of magnitude better than anything black market.
BTW....the place in Winfield has ' Pedros Sweet Sativa' in stock.... :up: :smt045
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
Nedroj
Board Meister

Post by Nedroj »

oldtrucker wrote:As of Oct 2018 the quest for fire ended.
This legal weed has soooo much to choose from in quality, strength, taste....everything about it is orders of magnitude better than anything black market.
BTW....the place in Winfield has ' Pedros Sweet Sativa' in stock.... :up: :smt045

I beg to differ. While the selection is definitely better at a store, (if you dont care about what you're smoking) I wouldn't say Quality or Strength is much better. Half of the strains in any given store are under 15%thc. Another 25% of them are below 20%thc. Which leaves roughly 25% of the strains I would be interested in. And all of them are 35-50$+ for an 1/8th plus taxes.
The problem with the legal stores and THC content is it will vary from shipment to shipment and from grower to grower. So while the "Pink Kush" might be good from one grower, it wont be as good from another grower or from the same grower but a different crop.

I did look on the website the one guy mentioned in the comments and found the cheap strain he was mentioning.
The strain is called "Indica"
It has a THC content from 13-18%
and sells for 57$ plus taxes for 14 grams (4$/grm)
or 100$ plus taxes for 28 grams
Sounds good right?
BUT the kicker is and this kills it for me. It was grown in a greenhouse so its basically slightly better than outdoor.

So again I go back to the black market where I can get 8 ounces for 700$ of 20%+thc strains.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

Nedroj wrote:So while the "Pink Kush" might be good from one grower, it wont be as good from another grower or from the same grower but a different crop.

It's a agricultural product so it's not a exact science. One batch- usually the first or second is really good- then subsequent crops suck.
Nedroj wrote: And all of them are 35-50$+ for an 1/8th plus taxes.
IThe price doesn't really bother me that much as I usually only have a puff of a indica before bed anyway and go through maybe one 3.5 gram can per month. When the legal stores first opened it was a novelty so I bought at least 20 different types in 1 gram. Sometimes now I'll buy a gram of a sativa in addition to the 3.5 indica, but that's about it. I know, my green stoner dude avatar would probably make everyone think I go though way more weed than I do.
Oh....I can just hear it.......( "ya....sure oldtrucker")
[icon_lol2.gif]
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

Sometime, last year, somewhere there was a study of illegal marijuana done by Health Canada. Most of the samples done were found to contain large amounts of pesticides, herbicides and mold.
Samples from legitimate grows were found to be clean.

So, which one is "better"?
NO BEIJING 2022

THE TWO MICHAELS. Never forget them.

CHINA. Never forgive them.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

bb49 wrote:Sometime, last year, somewhere there was a study of illegal marijuana done by Health Canada. Most of the samples done were found to contain large amounts of pesticides, herbicides and mold.

And that's the best point so far. The legal weed is pretty much perfect that way. The pre 2018 weed you had to look at the color of the ash. White ash meant it was 'probably' okay. Black or dark ash- probably full of chemicals.
Sparki55
Lord of the Board

Post by Sparki55 »

bb49 wrote:Sometime, last year, somewhere there was a study of illegal marijuana done by Health Canada. Most of the samples done were found to contain large amounts of pesticides, herbicides and mold.

So the country, who is pushing the legal market, puts out a study that the legal is better for your health the illegal?

Where there is monitary/ political motive I smell BS.

Certainly many people have a relationship with their dealer and know what is in it. That relationship isn't transitioned to a store very easily. If people know what they are getting from a trusted source at a better price, why switch?

The study would have used street pot, whatever the local scum was peddling to people without a good source.
Last edited by Sparki55 on Sep 3rd, 2020, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I am subject to random tests at work, so even if I wanted to use it I can't.
Although we are now allowed a very low dosage CBD oil.
We have been warned that some are more potent than listed and could cause a failure.
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

Sparki55 wrote:

Lol, so the country, who is pushing the legal market, puts out a study that the legal is better for your health the illegal?

Where there is monitary/ political motive I smell BS.

Certainly many people have a relationship with their dealer and know what is in it. That relationship isn't transitioned to a store very easily. If people know what they are getting from a trusted source at a better price, why switch?

The study would have used street pot, whatever the local scum was peddling to people without a good source.

A trusted source of illegal pot. [icon_lol2.gif]
You may know your dealer but does he really know his supplier, who just may be part of organized crime.
No thanks.

And if people have more faith in the Hells Angels than they do in Health Canada, they live in a pretty messed up world.
NO BEIJING 2022

Sparki55
Lord of the Board

Post by Sparki55 »

bb49 wrote:A trusted source of illegal pot. [icon_lol2.gif]
You may know your dealer but does he really know his supplier, who just may be part of organized crime.
No thanks.

And if people have more faith in the Hells Angels than they do in Health Canada, they live in a pretty messed up world.

Shows how much you know :biggrin:

By trusted I mean you buy it off the dude growing 50 plants in his basement, not some "dealer" who gets his "stash" from a criminal organization.

If that dude falls thru, you go to a friend and buy a small amount to get you through a dry bit cuz you know they also have a buddy they go to that's a normal dude with a "hobby".
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

Sparki55 wrote:
bb49 wrote:A trusted source of illegal pot. [icon_lol2.gif]
No thanks.

Shows how much you know :biggrin:

By trusted I mean you buy it off the dude growing 50 plants in his basement, not some "dealer" who gets his "stash" from a criminal organization.

If that dude falls thru, you go to a friend and buy a small amount to get you through a dry bit cuz you know they also have a buddy they go to that's a normal dude with a "hobby".

50 plants in his basement? [icon_lol2.gif]
Yeah sure, and we all know the state of his house, from humidity to the outright stench.
NO BEIJING 2022

Sparki55
Lord of the Board

Post by Sparki55 »

bb49 wrote:50 plants in his basement? [icon_lol2.gif]
Yeah sure, and we all know the state of his house, from humidity to the outright stench.

Smell, yes, large property, yes. Venting and fans do wonders for humidity in a dry climate.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

My only question about the governments claim is while they may know exactly how much legal product is sold how do they have any idea of how much illegal product is sold?
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

stuphoto wrote:I am subject to random tests at work, so even if I wanted to use it I can't.
Although we are now allowed a very low dosage CBD oil.
We have been warned that some are more potent than listed and could cause a failure.
And even if you did 'fail' their 'we control you' test, you could still tell them that what you do in your home on your time is no ones business but yours. In other words tell them to...." bleep off". Telling your employees they can't have a puff for a good sleep whilst other Canadians can have a puff is discrimination.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

cv23 wrote:My only question about the governments claim is while they may know exactly how much legal product is sold how do they have any idea of how much illegal product is sold?

The black market vendors reporting it as income of course. [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”