Truth Decay

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
edmskeptic
Board Meister
Posts: 544
Joined: Apr 30th, 2020, 11:35 am

Truth Decay

Post by edmskeptic »

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/spark/truth-de ... -1.5456006

The problem with "Truth Decay" that the entire premise is false.
Truth tends to strengthen with time as observation of reality and experience reinforce true statements and concepts.

Falsehoods, however, do tend to decay.

how fast they decay depends on access to information.
typhoon44
Übergod
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sep 24th, 2017, 11:23 am

Re: Truth Decay

Post by typhoon44 »

Sorry, but the US right has an inexhaustible supply of non-truths. Try telling the truth at least once per day.
BC Landlord
Übergod
Posts: 1864
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Truth Decay

Post by BC Landlord »

The last place I would look for truth is the CBC.
typhoon44
Übergod
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sep 24th, 2017, 11:23 am

Re: Truth Decay

Post by typhoon44 »

BC Landlord wrote:The last place I would look for truth is the CBC.

It doesn't fit your narrative, but CBC news is centrist and fact based.

"In general, CBC’s straight news reporting is consistently low biased, factual and covers both sides of issues. Editorially, the opinion pages tend to be balanced with some stories slightly leaning left"

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbc-news ... adcasting/
lesliepaul
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2663
Joined: Aug 7th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Truth Decay

Post by lesliepaul »

Times like this I rely on "The Onion" for my news.
Sparki55
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3414
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Truth Decay

Post by Sparki55 »

typhoon44 wrote:It doesn't fit your narrative, but CBC news is centrist and fact based.


Two articles from the WE scandal. One is from the Vancouver sun (highly factual right bias) and the other is from CBC (highly factual left bias).

https://vancouversun.com/news/national/despite-shuttering-of-we-charitys-canadian-operations-political-fallout-continues/wcm/af3b1a65-b49b-4ef6-be27-a8a6369f434b/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/we-charity-winding-down-operations-1.5717899

Vancouver Sun's opening paragraphs - slamming the liberals for a poor decision:
OTTAWA — The demise of WE’s Canadian operations won’t take the heat off Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over his government’s decision to hire the charity to run a now-defunct student volunteer program.

NDP MP Charlie Angus says WE’s announcement Wednesday that it is shuttering its Canadian operations only underscores the lack of due diligence done by the government before handing administration of the program over to an organization that was evidently in financial distress.


CBC opening paragraphs - softening the blow:
After months in the political spotlight and pointed questions about its role in a summer student grants contract, WE Charity is winding down its operations in Canada.

The move comes as the charity — like many other non-profits in this country — faces a cash crunch as donations dip due to the pandemic. WE also acknowledges that it found itself in the middle of a political scandal over the student grants contract that it was "ill-equipped" to fight.



Vancouver Sun - closing statement:
Shutting down its Canadian operations “shows just how much trouble WE was in and how badly they needed this bailout from their Liberal friends,” Angus said.

“They’ve have been in economic freefall for months. This was a group that fired its board of directors for asking too many questions about its finances. The question is why didn’t the government see this before handing them over a contract worth millions?”


CBC - closing statement:
"While the announcement today pertaining to WE Charity is an interesting fact, it is not determinative of outcome. Commissioner Dion remains focused on the examinations underway," the spokesperson said.

The federal Conservatives have been calling on WE to release a series of documents the Toronto-based youth organization promised to hand over to a House of Commons committee before Prime Minister Trudeau prorogued Parliament. Today, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole again called on WE to "immediately release the documents."


Care to explain how this is fair fact based news?
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
Posts: 7638
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Truth Decay

Post by Omnitheo »

Truth is subjective. I prefer to rely on fact.

This is why scientists will never tell you "the truth". They will tell you the theory, and the facts which support it.

Typically it is those with an agenda seeking to influence minds IE biased news sources, religious indoctrinators, conspiracy pushers etc who will claim to have (or to be) "The Truth".

Never take anything anyone says to be "the truth" at face value. Always find the facts, and the credibility of those facts.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Sparki55
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3414
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Truth Decay

Post by Sparki55 »

Omnitheo wrote:Truth is subjective. I prefer to rely on fact.

This is why scientists will never tell you "the truth". They will tell you the theory, and the facts which support it.

Typically it is those with an agenda seeking to influence minds IE biased news sources, religious indoctrinators, conspiracy pushers etc who will claim to have (or to be) "The Truth".

Never take anything anyone says to be "the truth" at face value. Always find the facts, and the credibility of those facts.


It is impossible to find any "facts" online about anything besides science that can be proven with math and experiments.

Just try to find facts online from a source you can trust and verify that believes Trudeau should be tried criminally for the WE scandal.

and then...

try to find facts online from a source you can trust and verify that believes Trudeau did nothing wrong and the payments to his family were all legitimate and not reason enough to declare a WE scandal or go to court.

You'll find sites claiming both and then also news sites as I posted above (Sun & CBC) that provide no actual facts just a bunch of opinion reporting.
typhoon44
Übergod
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sep 24th, 2017, 11:23 am

Re: Truth Decay

Post by typhoon44 »

Sparki55 wrote:
typhoon44 wrote:It doesn't fit your narrative, but CBC news is centrist and fact based.


Two articles from the WE scandal. One is from the Vancouver sun (highly factual right bias) and the other is from CBC (highly factual left bias).

https://vancouversun.com/news/national/despite-shuttering-of-we-charitys-canadian-operations-political-fallout-continues/wcm/af3b1a65-b49b-4ef6-be27-a8a6369f434b/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/we-charity-winding-down-operations-1.5717899

Vancouver Sun's opening paragraphs - slamming the liberals for a poor decision:
OTTAWA — The demise of WE’s Canadian operations won’t take the heat off Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over his government’s decision to hire the charity to run a now-defunct student volunteer program.

NDP MP Charlie Angus says WE’s announcement Wednesday that it is shuttering its Canadian operations only underscores the lack of due diligence done by the government before handing administration of the program over to an organization that was evidently in financial distress.


CBC opening paragraphs - softening the blow:
After months in the political spotlight and pointed questions about its role in a summer student grants contract, WE Charity is winding down its operations in Canada.

The move comes as the charity — like many other non-profits in this country — faces a cash crunch as donations dip due to the pandemic. WE also acknowledges that it found itself in the middle of a political scandal over the student grants contract that it was "ill-equipped" to fight.



Vancouver Sun - closing statement:
Shutting down its Canadian operations “shows just how much trouble WE was in and how badly they needed this bailout from their Liberal friends,” Angus said.

“They’ve have been in economic freefall for months. This was a group that fired its board of directors for asking too many questions about its finances. The question is why didn’t the government see this before handing them over a contract worth millions?”


CBC - closing statement:
"While the announcement today pertaining to WE Charity is an interesting fact, it is not determinative of outcome. Commissioner Dion remains focused on the examinations underway," the spokesperson said.

The federal Conservatives have been calling on WE to release a series of documents the Toronto-based youth organization promised to hand over to a House of Commons committee before Prime Minister Trudeau prorogued Parliament. Today, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole again called on WE to "immediately release the documents."


Care to explain how this is fair fact based news?



Sounds almost exactly like facts based reporting. Trudeau hasn't been charged and it would be OPINION for them to speculate.
BC Landlord
Übergod
Posts: 1864
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Truth Decay

Post by BC Landlord »

typhoon44 wrote:It doesn't fit your narrative, but CBC news is centrist and fact based.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbc-news ... adcasting/

Oh please, ... You have a "truth finder" almost 100% on government's payroll, and then another outfit (from your link), God knows its affiliations, "fact-checking" things.
I'm sorry, I know better than that. I'm not buying it. For example, JT government's weeks of filibustering about the WE scandal, and the same "truth finder" nor raising some serious questions is quite telling.
Sparki55
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3414
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Truth Decay

Post by Sparki55 »

typhoon44 wrote:Sounds almost exactly like facts based reporting. Trudeau hasn't been charged and it would be OPINION for them to speculate.


It's how the articles are written.

One article focuses on WE charity and the conservative's response to the scandal and the other calls out the Trudeau government and their misuse of funds.

Both use facts to support their opinion piece and leave out ones that don't. Without all the fact presented it's just as bad as a one-sided court case (i.e. only letting the accusers facts stand but not the defendants)

This is real fact based reporting:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/25/us/seattle-police-budget-cut/index.html
https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-city-council-police-department-budget

Both articles just released the facts - all of the facts.
typhoon44
Übergod
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sep 24th, 2017, 11:23 am

Re: Truth Decay

Post by typhoon44 »

BC Landlord wrote:
typhoon44 wrote:It doesn't fit your narrative, but CBC news is centrist and fact based.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbc-news ... adcasting/

Oh please, ... You have a "truth finder" almost 100% on government's payroll, and then another outfit (from your link), God knows its affiliations, "fact-checking" things.
I'm sorry, I know better than that. I'm not buying it. For example, JT government's weeks of filibustering about the WE scandal, and the same "truth finder" nor raising some serious questions is quite telling.


So by that measure when the Conservatives are in power it is a right leaning lie machine? Don't be ridiculous.
For the record I think WE is a thing and Trudeau should face the music. I just don't believe that CBC lies.
Sparki55
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3414
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Truth Decay

Post by Sparki55 »

typhoon44 wrote:So by that measure when the Conservatives are in power it is a right leaning lie machine? Don't be ridiculous.
For the record I think WE is a thing and Trudeau should face the music. I just don't believe that CBC lies.


The conservatives did not hand the media $600 million and set who did and didn't get the money.

You make up your mind from there as there is zero factual information on what did or did not sway the media.

The media fund has ignited public debate about how it may impact journalists’ objectivity and has drawn the ire of Conservative party members who have accused the Liberals of trying to bribe the media before the election.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/canada-s-600-million-media-bailout-a-guide-to-federal-tax-breaks-for-the-news-industry-1.4586082
edmskeptic
Board Meister
Posts: 544
Joined: Apr 30th, 2020, 11:35 am

Re: Truth Decay

Post by edmskeptic »

the reason why "truth decay" has come into the spotlight recently is that it costs a lot of money to buy "facts".

A 600 million media fund, a few million to a we "charity" that political allies can cash in on. (to continue providing supportive "facts" on the "ground".)

but darned those honest people keep spoiling things! it's costing hundreds if millions to keep the "truth" we just bought from decaying!
BC Landlord
Übergod
Posts: 1864
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Truth Decay

Post by BC Landlord »

typhoon44 wrote:So by that measure when the Conservatives are in power it is a right leaning lie machine? Don't be ridiculous.

The CBC has never been nice to Conservatives. Because they knew that, other than the Left (i.e. Liberals, NDP, unions, ...) no one else would be so generous to them. The CBC actually doesn't care about their viewership, for as long they get pampered from the government's (read taxpayer!) purse. Zero accountability. And their viewership rating is really tanking lately. No wonder why.

Return to “Social Concerns”