Truth Decay

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
typhoon44
Übergod

Re: Truth Decay

Post by typhoon44 »

36Drew wrote:Almost all media is biased, and journalism itself is dead.

Journalism is the publishing of facts, evidence, and gives equal share to both sides of a story, without interpretation. It permits the viewer or reader to arrive at their own decision, devoid of any bias.

Anything else is an opinion piece or a form of activism.
That's a fallacy. There are plenty of facts available through media outlets. You just need to view it with a discerning eye.
Ask yourself "does this sound reasonable?". Test it against other sources.
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

typhoon44 wrote:

Journalism is the publishing of facts, evidence, and gives equal share to both sides of a story, without interpretation. It permits the viewer or reader to arrive at their own decision, devoid of any bias.

That's a fallacy. There are plenty of facts available through media outlets. You just need to view it with a discerning eye.
Respectfully you have no business telling someone else what they said is wrong when the thing you are correcting is not what the other person actually said.

It is quite obvious that the comment you are responding to is not one the poster actually made but an ungenerous misinterpretation of what was said.

A really good way to be less biased is to endeavor to listen to understand rather than misinterpreting what people say in personally convenient ways.

Peoples perspectives can surprise you when you hear them for what they are rather than assuming they are stupid.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

typhoon44 wrote:

Did you mean to quote someone else, or did you completely misread what I've stated?

I presented a dictionary definition of journalism. It's not a fallacy, it's THE definition of journalism.

Based on that, I opined the following:
  • Almost all media is biased
    • and therefore journalism, as a practice, is dead.
  • a rather matter-of-fact statement that, absent journalism, anything else is an opinion piece or a form of activism.
Please offer up a rational and subjective counter to those - but don't bother with your fallacious use of the word "fallacy" as that's hardly an argument at all.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
edmskeptic
Board Meister

Post by edmskeptic »

So it looks like the January 6th Washington Capitol events are another casualty of "Truth decay".
The pleas to make people emotionally invested in the media first reports were all over the news.

Fixing people in the first narrative with emotions prevents them from experiencing "Truth decay" as more information comes out.

Return to “Social Concerns”