Disability and welfare is the downfall of Canada.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Re: Disability and welfare is the downfall of Canada.

Post by mysideofthings »

rustled wrote:
I hope you are aware of the RDSP programs - https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... -rdsp.html https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/fami ... vings-plan.

Best of luck to you, mysideofthings.
Yes. Unfortunately, you have to be approved for the disability tax credit to access that, and that requires a person to be significantly impaired in either one or several areas 90%+ of the time and has a high rate of denial, not to mention the cost to pay to get a provider to help fill it out that you won't get back if denied.

I would never qualify for the DTC based on the current criteria. The other issue is that my symptoms aren't the same day to day, which they don't seem to understand is common with many mental health or physical health conditions, so whoever set the criteria for that clearly has no clue.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

mysideofthings wrote:
rustled wrote:
I hope you are aware of the RDSP programs - https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... -rdsp.html https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/fami ... vings-plan.

Best of luck to you, mysideofthings.
Yes. Unfortunately, you have to be approved for the disability tax credit to access that, and that requires a person to be significantly impaired in either one or several areas 90%+ of the time and has a high rate of denial, not to mention the cost to pay to get a provider to help fill it out that you won't get back if denied.

I would never qualify for the DTC based on the current criteria. The other issue is that my symptoms aren't the same day to day, which they don't seem to understand is common with many mental health or physical health conditions, so whoever set the criteria for that clearly has no clue.
Hopefully some of these problems will be addressed in the next round of improvements.
lesliepaul
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by lesliepaul »

The DTC is one of those benefits "Canada" brags about having...........then turns down 90% of the applicants. It took close to 10 months for me to get approved by the government and then a year later they decided to question me again and had to have another doctor here fill out the form again..........my doctor here NEVER even heard of the DTC program. Typical government bureaucracy to brag to other countries about what programs they provide for people (to look good on the world stage) but do next to nothing in promoting the DTC program to Canadians who qualify.

The tax credit shows up on your income tax at about $7800 which equates to about $1800 savings against income. When you apply you can go back a maximum of 10 years if your disability was evident with your doctor's records. The form itself takes the doctor 10 minutes to fill out.........pretty simple in reality. Once arriving on a government employee's desk, they do everything possible to "deny".

The payoff IF you succeed the roadblocks is worth the effort............I was able to go back the 10 years to have my income tax adjusted for the DTC and one day there was 10 seperate letters with each tax year adjusted and the eleventh envelope had a cheque for over $16,000.00.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Finding all the possible benefits available to those with disabilities is like pulling impacted tooth. Then once found the bs red tape & hoops needed to jump through.
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”