Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 893
Joined: Oct 30th, 2017, 11:53 am

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by AlienSoldier »

36Drew wrote:
Article is from 2012. It's also arguing a rather fine point - asking for an international marriage to be recognized so it could be dissolved. However, the couple was not legally married in either England or Florida, so there was no marriage to be dissolved. There was nothing stopping them from being legally-wed in Canada just to go through divorce proceedings.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/2019/0 ... m-too.html

Political debate is not only encouraged in Canada, but is regarded as a basic fundamental tenet of civil society within Canada. While you or I may not agree with someone discussing the repeal of a piece of legislation, or the replacement thereof - it's a fundamental component of how our political system works. That said - Bill-24 is still alive and well. In addition, Alberta also has their own Human Rights Act (as does BC) that exceeds our federal legislation. I'm still unsure how we, as a Canadian society, are eroding rights?

https://north99.org/2019/07/06/alberta- ... -students/

https://globalnews.ca/news/5463387/albe ... es-debate/

Students are allowed to form GSAs under the bill. NDP says that schools have a duty to inform parents, and parents have a right to know. But...

https://globalnews.ca/news/5406183/albe ... sure-gsas/

"Clayton made it clear a student’s participation in a GSA qualifies as personal information under the Freedom of Information Protection Act (FOIP) and Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA)."

Again, I fail to see how any rights were eroded?
AlienSoldier wrote:You know, you can do some research to ;) lol
You made the claims. The onus is on you to provide examples. That's generally how debate works - state a point, provide some facts, accept feedback. You've also provided no commentary around those articles, so I have absolutely no idea what it is that you take issue with. Perhaps next time, you can up your debate game and be a little more factual and precise?
This is a debate club?!? Jeez, I thought I was an internet warrior. lol [icon_lol2.gif]
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
Posts: 7638
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by Omnitheo »

The funny thing is your original post specifically mentioned republicans. You got asked to provide, which you did, and then the person moved goalposts and demanded Canadian sources...which you provided, and then they shifted the goalposts further because one was from 8 years ago and the other was a provincial matter which apparently doesn’t apply to all of Canada.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33658
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by Glacier »

Gay rights is no longer a political issue that anyone has to worry about. Those who want to ban it are so fringe that they only get laughed at as crazy loons. There are certainly some conservatives who fall into the loon category, but as the Australian referendum over the issue has taught us, the left has its share of loons too. But in either case they are fringe viewpoints in absolutely no danger of becoming mainstream.

The gay community sees this which is why gay men can conservative.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2649
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by 36Drew »

Omnitheo wrote:The funny thing is your original post specifically mentioned republicans. You got asked to provide, which you did, and then the person moved goalposts and demanded Canadian sources...which you provided, and then they shifted the goalposts further because one was from 8 years ago and the other was a provincial matter which apparently doesn’t apply to all of Canada.
There weren't any goalposts to be moved as the OP didn't provide any. They said "Rights being trampled" and "Republicans". When asked to provide evidence, they posted three links without any commentary as to what their concerns are.

Good try at some ad populum and hasty generalization, tho.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11576
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by LANDM »

36Drew wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:The funny thing is your original post specifically mentioned republicans. You got asked to provide, which you did, and then the person moved goalposts and demanded Canadian sources...which you provided, and then they shifted the goalposts further because one was from 8 years ago and the other was a provincial matter which apparently doesn’t apply to all of Canada.
There weren't any goalposts to be moved as the OP didn't provide any. They said "Rights being trampled" and "Republicans". When asked to provide evidence, they posted three links without any commentary as to what their concerns are.

Good try at some ad populum and hasty generalization, tho.
I don’t see any ad populum with their response, but I do see ad hominem in your response.

The OP topic did not restrict to Canada. In fact, the link in the OP was showing leaders from around the world who are both gay and take public homophobic stances. Bringing up non Canadian instanced is very on topic.

I don’t think that the premise of the topic title is accurate but nor have I seen data on political leanings of gay men.
However, I am *never* surprised when ultra right wing male political leaders who take an anti-gay stance are caught with their pants down with another man.
Nor would I be at all surprised to learn that some of the more infamous anti-gay posters in this forum (I am not saying in this thread, to be clear) were extremely closeted gay men. Some past threads have seen posts that were off the charts in the hatred of homosexuals.
You and 71 others Like this post
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49630
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by Bsuds »

So if this were true "Most gay men are conservatives" then is the reverse true as well.

Most conservatives are gay men?

Just asking.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33658
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by Glacier »

Hypocrites are everywhere in all parties and in all topics. It's not about self hate, it's about being human. Almost everyone has beliefs that do not match their actions. For example, I believe I shouldn't be posting on Castanet right now because I have important things to do, but here I am despite my best intentions.

Take Rob Ford as a prime example who was always slamming drug use while he was snorting more coke than oneh2obabe makes posts. We also see conservatives who condemn homosexuality by day while banging dudes at night. On the left we see supposed champions of the environment claiming that sea levels will wipe out those right on the ocean shore within a couple of decades while they live in their high carbon producing mansion on the sea shore.Or the ones who claim to support single payer health care while jumping the queue by paying out of pocket.

It's no reason to not be an environmentalist because Al Gore is a hypocrite just as it's no reason to not be a conservative because some gay dude is denouncing homosexuality.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11576
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by LANDM »

^^^^
As a well known and, of course, highly esteemed poster in this board often succinctly says.......

Exactly.
You and 71 others Like this post
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by stuphoto »

I really don't think there are any more or less gay right wing men per capita than any other political parties.
However there may be more still in the closet, which I feel is the worst thing.
I don't actually balame them for this. If all your friends and family are telling you the feelings are wrong, why would you admit it.
User avatar
cyruslosco66
Banned
Posts: 3343
Joined: Aug 21st, 2020, 4:01 pm

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by cyruslosco66 »

stuphoto wrote:I really don't think there are any more or less gay right wing men per capita than any other political parties.
However there may be more still in the closet, which I feel is the worst thing.
I don't actually balame them for this. If all your friends and family are telling you the feelings are wrong, why would you admit it.

i agree , i think more on the right are in the closet for that exact reason , which is sad because people end up being outed in not so nice ways
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
Nedroj
Board Meister
Posts: 568
Joined: Apr 10th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by Nedroj »

AlienSoldier wrote:
I'm sorry - I didn't realize that we live in the USA and that Trump is our leader. Oh wait, American laws have no bearings on civil liberties in Canada. Please try again with relevant examples as to how we - AS CANADIANS - are working to "errode rights for transgenders, gays and others weather its in the military or overall" and where "there is always a huge uproar when it comes to conversion therapy, or marriage equality, adoption, blood donations, etc."
https://ipolitics.ca/2012/01/12/conserv ... ls-charge/

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/2019/0 ... m-too.html

https://north99.org/2019/07/06/alberta- ... -students/

You know, you can do some research to ;) lol[/quote]

You might want to read the articles you've linked as "evidence"........

Qoute from the first one.
In a test case filed in Toronto, a lesbian couple who wed in 2005 and are seeking a divorce, are being told by a federal justice department lawyer that their marriage was not legal in Canada because they cannot legally marry in their home jurisdictions of Florida and England.

They traveled to Canada to get married because it was legal here and now back in their home country they are being told it wasn't legal because same-sex marriages are not legal there.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
dreamon
Board Meister
Posts: 461
Joined: Oct 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by dreamon »

My experience with gay people, men and women, is that they tend to be well educated and higher than average income earners/net worth.
They tend to be fiscally conservative liberals like many of us, so vote Conservative as voting Liberal is voting for a special strain of Socialism.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33658
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by Glacier »

Why are most conservative men gay?
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
dreamon
Board Meister
Posts: 461
Joined: Oct 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by dreamon »

Glacier wrote:Why are most conservative men gay?
Shh, don't let the cat out of bag, or con out of the closet.
They like to condemn divorce, homosexuals, abortion while screwing around with same and/or opposite sex and telling women what they may or may not do with their bodies.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4023
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: Why Are Most Gay Men Conservatives ?

Post by Drip_Torch »

stuphoto wrote:I really don't think there are any more or less gay right wing men per capita than any other political parties.
However there may be more still in the closet, which I feel is the worst thing.
I don't actually blame them for this. If all your friends and family are telling you the feelings are wrong, why would you admit it.
I agree with much of what you say, but I don't know about the closet aspect of it all? :135:

I'd like to believe it wouldn't cause me to look at them, or treat them any differently. I'd like to believe I could accept that they were born that way and that's just who they are, but honestly I do also believe it is a choice. Through education and thoughtfulness they could be reprogramed and brought back around to a normal way of thinking.

Frankly, if I was to be perfectly honest about my take on things... I'd prefer my gay and bisexual friends, if any of them really are conservatives, stay in the closet and respect my wishes not to be confronted with their perverted political point of view.

[icon_lol2.gif]
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “Social Concerns”