How Do I Deal With A Rude Manager

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: How Do I Deal With A Rude Manager

Post by stuphoto »

If I lived in a Light Industrial zone I would be tempted to open a home based paintball shop.
I may make a mistake placing the practice targets in the wrong place.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

GordonH wrote:Here’s a little tip:
Those store surveys, anything short of a prefect score is considered a fail. Rude manager then gets :swear: from head office.
It is independently owned and operated.....the Manager, from what I understand IS THE OWNER.
As posted throughout the thread, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE OBJECTING to the extreme lighting.
As for moving next to the light industrial area?? I have lived here for 10 years. Others have lived here a LOT longer and had NO issues.
On a nice evening, we WON'T be able to sit on our patios, because we will be blinded by the lights
I know some of you think I am being unreasonable. Well, all of us facing them then are being unreasonable.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Presumably the sun is shining if you're enjoying the patio on a nice evening. Wouldn't you be heading indoors when the sun goes down? Highly doubt the store owner will waste energy by having the lights on when the sun is shining. And yes, he's within his rights to have the lights on when the sun goes down.

Like I said before, easiest way to solve your dilemma is to shut the damn drapes when it gets dark out. Why on earth would you leave your drapes open all night, especially in winter - closing them keeps the heat in. And why have them open in the spring/summer when sunrise can come as early at 5:00 AM unless you like getting up early.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

damama55 wrote: I have gone to the Head Office, actually sent it through their customer service complaints section. Got a call from a head guy, who was VERY sympathetic and apologized. Said the franchise is owned by the new owner and apparently there is no set of guidelines, ...
The struggle is real! These damned LED lights are just too much sometimes - parking lots don't need THAT much light. Tell them to buy light dims... https://www.amazon.ca/LightDims-Dimming ... B06WVKMYJN
Or you could request that they change the bulb to a yellower LED or install some other cover that would diffuse the light, assuming the current cover is clear glass/plastic/nothing at all.
Or you can make a DIY light diffuser by painting thinned-out white paint over the glass/plastic light cover ... providing you can reach the offending light fixture and you're willing to take the risk, Banksy. It's not destruction of property if the paint can be washed off, right? lol

Also, you can go on ltsa.ca, set up a myltsa account and find out who the property owner is (the business owner may not be the property owner) for a cost of ~$13. Send the property owner a letter, along with the petition, and ask for help. There may be a clause in the commercial lease that states the tenant cannot disturb the neighbours. The clause may be set for certain time frames, like 10pm-6am, but the applied solution may wind up being effective 24/7.
If all else fails, by the end of the week, I am contacting the media and will March in front of the business.
Did you ever contact the media? What happened?

I'm surprised this is such an issue for that business. I know of a condo that changed it's parking lot light bulb, and the angle of the fixture must have moved a bit. The neighbouring property complained and it was dealt with by the condo board PDQ. Sorry that this sucks for you and all those who signed the petition.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

While LED lights can be blinding, why does the OP insist on keeping her drapes/blinds open all night when she says the lights reach into her bedroom. One would think you'd close the blinds so the suite/room is dark enough to sleep.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Rejigger wrote:Did you ever contact the media? What happened?
They probably said "Oh wow, this "Local business' lights are too bright!" headline will get so much interest from dozens of readers!" and hang up.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

oneh2obabe wrote:While LED lights can be blinding, why does the OP insist on keeping her drapes/blinds open all night when she says the lights reach into her bedroom. One would think you'd close the blinds so the suite/room is dark enough to sleep.
I don't believe the OP does keep her blinds open all night but seems the light permeates the blinds that were good enough before but not now.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Thanks, Rejigger.
We made suggestions to them, almost exactly as you said. BUT, the Manager is VERY set in keeping the lights.
We are a 3 story building. The ground level is like half the underground parking, so the 2 stories are the apartments. EVERY one of the apartments facing the store signed the petition which Bylaw ignored.
As for closing the blinds, I draw the curtains, I like s little light coming in when I have to get up through the night for Nature's calls. :)
I wish I could post a pic of the lights and how bright they are. But, my phone pics are too big and won't post them.
I called Castanet and a reporter named Rob? took my info, asked if I am willing to have my name to the story. That was the last I heard. I figured, because it was the holidays, that they will get back to me.
As for reflection from the snow or rain, THAT is not the issue. The Bylaw woman said, "I have no control over the weather.". SERIOUSLY!!
As I said before, I will have to go and request a copy of the investigation they did.
I have sent a letter to a Council man from here, AND a letter to the Mayor and Council.
I do get up early most mornings, and the lights are on, usually, until after 9 AM.
Anyway, the story will continue.
Thank you to all who are trying to understand where we are coming from.
All the best.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

Is there a way someone (other than you) can discreetly find out whether or not the business owns the property? If it turns out the building is being rented, use ltsa.ca to locate the owner/landlord. For the effort it takes to reach out to the landlord, it may be worth it. Commercial leases can contain clauses in them regarding a tenants' interactions with neighbours. I know this first-hand (albeit from a strip-mall situation).
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I wish! However, it is owned, that is who I am dealing with, from what I have been told. That's why I said, Manager/Owner.
I will see what the Mayor and Council say when I talk to them. Thank you for all of your GREAT suggestions. As I said, if all else fails, I will get a hold of Global and even parade with a sign.
This is not over yet.
If anyone lives out this way, take a drive by, come to the apartment building and we will be happy to show you what we are dealing with. Come after dark. :-X I promise, we are not crochetty old seniors.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Any business/tenant lease will not have a "light migration/mitigation" clause. The tenant has the right to protect his business from intruders at night.
Farmers (cherry) have the right to protect their crops from environmental conditions (rain/insects) just like a business can protect themselves/business. They are on industrial/commercially zoned property and are not liable to neighbouring properties that are zoned residential.

If it is raining, take an umbrella. If taking a hike, spray on the Deet. If it is sunny, put on lotion. If it is cold, put on a coat. If it is snowy, put on boots. Take bear spray when camping.
These are basic things to do to protect oneself from the environment. They are taught to us by our parents from before we able to speak.

If the light is that much of a bother, put a after-market coating on the window. What are we really talking about here? ONE bedroom window?

As for being "rude".....there is no level of government or law that can/would address such an arbitrary involvement.

If there was, then 99.9% of our government would be incarcerated for life, the other .01% would be considered impotent and inconsequential ........Willkenson is the first name that comes to mind.

I liked Kelowna when I moved her 27 years ago, it has changed and I don't like it any more.
What are my options?
~Grin and bare it.
0r
~Move.

The one option that is not possible/feasible is, change it back to the way it was.
Bring back the LIKE button.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I hope this posts.
Attachments
IMG_20210108_164129.jpg
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ looks to me like the owner saved money by not having lighting around the outer edge shining inwards. Instead on the building shining outwards.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

They have had thefts, which is SOOOO frustrating for them, and I understand that. But, young thieves squeeze through the gates and throw stuff over to an awaiting accomplice.
The owner is trying to cut down on the thefts.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Well, being offered to be reimbursed for some blinds is probably further than I would imagine a business would go if somebody complained about bright lights at night. Doubt you'll get more out of it.

Return to “Social Concerns”