Christmas Hampers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
W105
Guru

Christmas Hampers

Post by W105 »

I wonder why the Salvation Army doesn't check out the people who apply for a Christmas Hamper ?? I know someone who as a couple make $60K per yr ( with no kids) who applied for one AND said that they have 2 children, ( a huge lie) that has worked thru the entire time during this pandemic ( so no financial hardship ) that received it yesterday...they got a couple of very nice boxes with good food and a $30 gift card to superstore and a few presents for their fake kids ( they said they were teenagers so it was a nice shaving kit, bath set, scarf, gloves and some gift cards for something) ..it made me sick that they did something like that...especially when I personally have donated $80 in total to the Salvation Army this yr to those who sit in the stores who are ringing their bells for donations..

now they will be applying tomorrow for that $1000 covid benefit which they will probably receive the full $1000 and are happy as 2 pigs in poop...meanwhile I'm pretty sure there's REAL Families out there that really could have used those Hampers, gifts and gifts cards...

gotta say I will never again donate another dollar to the Salvation Army because of this...and I have no doubt that since it worked for them this yr, that they will do the exact same thing next yr...

hope Karma has them on her list..
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Christmas Hampers

Post by mexi cali »

It is sad indeed. I guarantee you that they aren't the only ones doing it. They have no conscience and the really sad part is that they don't see what they are doing is wrong.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me really angry but there is little you or I can do to stop it from happening.

Lets hope that Karma Chameleon isn't too busy right now.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Thanks for helping the needy out W105,

Unfortunately we will always have people like that,
However there are hundreds, if not thousands of legitimate families who actually need that help.
I hope you don't stop giving because of a few bad apples.

At the same time, I also hope there is always someone there if you or your loved ones need help.

As for people like those mentioned,
I am certain they will pay the pipper sometime.
We may not see it during this lifetime, but then again I take great pride in knowing we won't see them in the afterlife.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

thanks Stu, but I am nothing special for giving back when I can...it's just bizarre that's there 's no process on where these very nice Hampers and Gifts go too and that anybody can ask for one and receive it ??

seems like it's pretty easy to abuse and that isn't cool when people donate thinking it is really going to help someone that truly needs it have a tad merrier christmas especially this yr which hasn't been the best for so many..
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Honesty is on a decline nowadays. What I do for a living is giving me a front seat to watch it. I' am not overly religious, but perhaps a fear of God has its place in a society.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Get a local news crew to show up at their front door. When one of them opens it, they get bombarded with how do you feel about stealing form the needy at Christmas questions. Of course their home address and at least a quick glimpse of their face is all the rest of the world needs.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I gave , to Sally Ann this year only because I know some people are hurting.. then I see W105 post and I steam
I'd tattletale on them.
But there are probably lots of examples of people abusing charity
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

We have done the hamper thing in the past but I didn't like how it was organized. Dropping off a huge basket with GCs and stuff in them going to who knows where.

This year and in years past, we contact our local church and ask the pastor about any of their congregation who might need a little extra help.

ETA; I'm with you Norma, as crappy as it sounds, I'd make it more widely known too.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I'm disappointed to hear the SA is giving out gift cards.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

apparently the $30 gift card with the food hamper is suppose to be in loo of a turkey as they didn't get a turkey when they got their scamming Hamper...the other gift cards for their "fake kids" were to Tim Horton's..

gotta say the word spread fast among the people who know them...I guess today they feel like total *bleep* cause everyone is saying how pathetic it was to ask for a Hamper when you really didn't need it and then to lie about having kids..

( I think someone called the Salvation Army asked why they give out Christmas Hampers to people without some sort of screening process.. :D
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Unless things have changed the people that got hampers had to be signed up at the foodbank. That's how it was when I volunteered at Salvation Army anyway.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

W105 wrote:apparently the $30 gift card with the food hamper is suppose to be in loo of a turkey as they didn't get a turkey when they got their scamming Hamper...the other gift cards for their "fake kids" were to Tim Horton's..
They should have arranged for them to redeem a turkey certificate instead, and Tim Horton's?

A fellow on the CBC's "support the food bank" drive - one of several people receiving help they interviewed to show us who needs help this year - was telling the interviewer he had received a gift card in his hamper.

This was after the person who said it's better if we give cash to the food banks because they have greater buying power and can convert our donations into more food than we could purchase for the same amount.

[Edited to fix quote.]
Last edited by rustled on Dec 18th, 2020, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

ferri wrote:Unless things have changed the people that got hampers had to be signed up at the foodbank. That's how it was when I volunteered at Salvation Army anyway.
I wonder what's to stop people from using the food bank when they don't genuinely need it, though? Do they screen?
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

really Ferri ?? I did not know this ?? but then again I think it's pretty easy to scam the food bank too, so I have no idea ??

does anybody know if the food bank has a screening process cause I remember people abusing it too back in the day...anyways if there is a screening process these people would have never qualified based on their income and they don't have kids..I know that this yr is very different as many people have lost their jobs but their incomes would be based on the yr 2019 and not today in real time..
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I think they do screen as much as they can, but really, unless they can look at someone's bank account they just have to take a person's word.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Social Concerns”