Criminal Records checks/identity theft/credit card fraud

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: What ?? !! Private Criminal Records checks ??

Post by TylerM4 »

BC Landlord wrote: I am sorry to hear about the OP's or anyone else's bad experience with identity theft, but in this case, and according to what was presented here (sketchy, at best), I am still having a hard time believing in the whole story. Apparently, someone stole/misused his/her credit card, and he/she found out about it two years later. I mean, on every credit card, you get monthly statements, have online access nowadays to your account, ... how could any fraudulent activity possibly go unnoticed, and for no less than two years? If reported to them (Visa, Master ...) in timely fashion, they have their own fraud departments, and would investigate any reported issue on their customer's behalf, and reimburse them if a fraudulent transaction was found.
Here's how it worked out for me: My information was leaked. A bunch of my co-workers and I all got defrauded at the same time. I strongly suspect the information was stolen/leaked from my employer at the time but have no proof.

Fraudster has my info. Walks into a bank and says "I'm Tyler and I would like to apply for a credit card". Here's all my info - yes that's not right address but I know the old address so you know it's really me. Yes, the phone number changed but I know the old number so you know it's me. Bank says "OK, I'll run the credit check". Credit check comes back as good and yup that's Tyler he correctly provided the old address and telephone number.

Bank then issues the credit and notifies Transunion/Equifax. They see the new credit registered and go: Oh! Look, he provided a new address he must have moved. We'll update his records to include the new address. Credit card is sent to "new" address, card statements are sent to new address, etc. The real Tyler has no idea because all correspondence about his new credit card (including the card itself) were sent to a brand new address and telephone number.

I was lucky and caught wind of it before the credit card arrived in the mail. The only reason I caught wind of it was because fraudster also applied for another form of credit with a lender I already had. When fraudster realized I already had an account with that institution he switched from "applying for new credit" to "reporting card as stolen but Tyler's address has changed so send it to this new address". Thankfully I tried to use my now cancelled "lost or stolen" card the next day, which led me to calling my bank to ask why my card wasn't working, to them telling me "You called last night and reported your card lost or stolen". To which I said "No, I sure as hell didn't!" That prompted me into running a credit report ASAP, and it was only through that credit report I was able to find that Royal Bank had recently issued a VISA in my name.

Don't even get me started on the process of getting that credit report and dealing with the fraud dept at Equifax and Transunion. Talk about broken systems. You report that you're a victim of fraud, that people are getting credit cards in your name. Guess how they verify that it's really you that is calling? They ask "Where did you most recently apply for credit?". Years ago and still makes my blood boil.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

BC Landlord wrote:I am sorry to hear about the OP's or anyone else's bad experience with identity theft, but in this case, and according to what was presented here (sketchy, at best), I am still having a hard time believing in the whole story. Apparently, someone stole/misused his/her credit card, and he/she found out about it two years later. I mean, on every credit card, you get monthly statements, have online access nowadays to your account, ... how could any fraudulent activity possibly go unnoticed, and for no less than two years? If reported to them (Visa, Master ...) in timely fashion, they have their own fraud departments, and would investigate any reported issue on their customer's behalf, and reimburse them if a fraudulent transaction was found.
"sketchy at best" eh ?

Misuse or fraud, or whatever just doesn't happen to someone who loses a credit card. That would be an easy one to detect.

What I was the victim of is called in the criminal code is "Personation". (no, not "impersonation", personation) It's under Section 403(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

What the credit card companies suffered is called Fraud, it's contrary to Section 380(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Personation can happen without any credit card "being lost". It's the theft or, if you like, the illegal use of one's identity, not necessarily their credit card.

After retirement, with time on my hands, I decided to begin a habit of regularly checking my credit history. I think now you can check anytime you want at no charge. Back then it was once a year per company, ie Equifax once, TransUnion once. To this day, I now check Equifax in December and TransUnion in June.

If you go to Equifax's web site you'll have to "fight" through a ton of ads trying to sell their services, for example you can't get your number "credit score" from Equifax without buying a subscription, but if you search you can find an application form that you have to fax or mail to Equifax and they will mail you the information back. Takes a couple of weeks or so.

I guess they make it inconvenient, in this online society so some will just pay.

TransUnion will supply a report on line.

So in July 2010 having recently retired, I decided to order my credit report. I hadn't done so for five years. I discovered several inquiries from credit card companies (5). None of which I had any dealings with. I discovered that credit was granted by two of them. Both of those had been run up to their limit without a payment ever being made.

I noted that my phone number and address that I had been at for 5 years was changed a few times, some in BC and most recently Alberta. I've never lived in Alberta.

So this isn't a case of me losing a card and a bunch of charges ending up on it. The unpaid credit card companies had never contacted me because the address they had for "me" was not my address.

So before you call someone's account of an event "sketchy" you should consider that maybe you don't know all the types of circumstances that can occur.

I dealt with the credit card "fraud departments" and they did nothing. It's a long story that was made worse by the credit reporting companies and their procedures and policies. Sadly most think they are there to protect the public, which is NOT the case.

Still seem sketchy ?
Last edited by my5cents on Dec 22nd, 2020, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
BC Landlord
Übergod

Post by BC Landlord »

oldtrucker wrote: The typical pass the buck of responsibility. It's the Canadian way.
Hmmm, both Equifax and Transunion are American agencies. When you phone them, you actually talk to someone from Atlanta GA, and Chicago IL, respectively. Canada uses their services, mostly Equfax in the West, and Transunion out East.

Another thing, ... How did we deviate from criminal history checks (the original post) to all of a sudden discussing credit reporting agencies? I see no connection here.
oldtrucker
Guru

Re: Identity Theft

Post by oldtrucker »

Bump.
I think it's time for these credit reporting companies to be relieved of their responsibilities. Gone. No longer doing business in Canada.
I also think whoever is in command ie the PM/govt should be held responsible for any mistakes, $$$, or trouble caused to Canadians as a result of having these credit reporting agencies incompetence . Why? Because, the trouble happened while under their command. They knew about the incompetence, but did nothing. Therefore it is their fault.
Is it time for these agencies to be relieved of duty in Canada?
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Zero cuckery. You and 917 others hate this post.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

BC Landlord wrote:
oldtrucker wrote: The typical pass the buck of responsibility. It's the Canadian way.
Hmmm, both Equifax and Transunion are American agencies. When you phone them, you actually talk to someone from Atlanta GA, and Chicago IL, respectively. Canada uses their services, mostly Equfax in the West, and Transunion out East.

Another thing, ... How did we deviate from criminal history checks (the original post) to all of a sudden discussing credit reporting agencies? I see no connection here.
They’re both American owned but I know Equifax has a large facility in Montreal.

Most creditors use both companies.

In the US there's a third called Experian.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

BC Landlord wrote:Another thing, ... How did we deviate from criminal history checks (the original post) to all of a sudden discussing credit reporting agencies? I see no connection here.
You're correct, my bad.

Basically the point was that here's another private industry that is doing something, IMO, should be done by government.

I don't think sensitive information should be sold to a private company for them to re-sell to the public. Be that a criminal record or a persons personal credit history. Yes, I know government has never collected credit history.

The security of the credit information companies was an obvious example of what takes place when private industry secures information. The old saying garbage in garbage out.
dodgerdodge
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dodgerdodge »

I was called by CIBC (checked out it was legitimate) and someone had attempted to open credit card in my name. Seems they had address and other information including my SIN number. I reported to Equifax and Transunion as they told me to and told my bank just in case. I have no account or connection ever with CIBC. Next i get a letter through the post from Government stating i had been refused for a benefit claim made in my name as they couldn't verify it. I also then filled out the online fraud centre forms as their letter suggests.
Now the interesting thing is i have not used my SIN number for anything except when i was on government sites, one for claiming the benefit we all got back in the spring and also the pensions website where i had to sign up and check my status in order to decide whether to claim it early or not.
Been trying to contact service Canada forever but its always busy and don't seem to have callback.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

dodgerdodge wrote:Been trying to contact service Canada forever but its always busy and don't seem to have callback.
We are leaderless.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Zero cuckery. You and 917 others hate this post.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

I had to talk to Service Canada 2 years ago and the hold waiting times were usually a few hours. I'm sure it's even worse now with Covid and all.

The only good thing I can say is that when I finally talked to them they were indeed helpful.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I tried calling them a couple months ago, and the message said it was over a 5 hour wait.
I didn't bother staying on line to find out how accurate that was.

I figure that if the government really wants to reach me, they will just send the RCMP over to give me a free ride in to sort things out :biggrin:
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

Since the conversation has taken an interesting twist, off topic, I will update the banner to merge the identity theft thread

“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” - Mark Twain

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Edward Abbey
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

ItsBigDaddy wrote:
mexi cali wrote:With consent, I can run a CRC on anyone. Nothing new here.

ETA: and a credit check.

Big man on campus! [icon_lol2.gif]
Seriously?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Criminal Records checks/identity theft/credit card fraud

Post by mexi cali »

I have had credit cards compromised several times and fortunately all were resolved in a timely fashion with no stress on my end.

It is easier to envision the types of problems experienced by some posters here than mine.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Social Concerns”