Plastics recycling? Forget it I'm afraid

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
nepal
Übergod

Re: Plastics recycling? Forget it I'm afraid

Post by nepal »

Some recent new technology for recycling plastic, turing it back into a profitable usable liquid form, along with other waste products.

The ability to make waste plastic profitable, will incentivize it being collected and returned for recycling. There could be money in waste plastic.
https://adurocleantech.com/
Attachments
Turning waste plastic into usable products.
Turning waste plastic into usable products.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

The only materials worth recycling are metals. Everything else is just gimmicks. You will never see bums stealing cardboards or plastics. They go after metals. There is a reason for that.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

nepal wrote: Some recent new technology for recycling plastic, turing it back into a profitable usable liquid form, along with other waste products.
Thanks for this. Encouraging to know there are people with vision looking for viable solutions to the challenges facing us today, instead of the continual hopelessness being pushed by those defending the status quo. There are many reasons to be optimistic about the future, and the decline of conservative thinking is just one of them.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

nepal wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 6:20 am .
Some recent new technology for recycling plastic, turing it back into a profitable usable liquid form, along with other waste products.

The ability to make waste plastic profitable, will incentivize it being collected and returned for recycling. There could be money in waste plastic.
https://adurocleantech.com/
Once consumers know someone is making money recycling plastics, there's even less incentive for consumers to reduce or reuse. Reduction and reuse should always be prioritized over recycling. Although we've known this since community recycling programs started up in the 1990s, we have seen an increase in household products available in liquid form in plastic packaging - think laundry and dishwashing detergents - and items sold in hard plastic packaging.

Consumers have never objected because communities like Penticton "pitch" recycling programs. They encouraged recycling greater quantities of waste with their bin roll-outs, offering bigger bins for those who "love" to recycle. Meanwhile, they were making it less convenient for householders to recycle their plastic films (bags and overwrap), styrofoam and glass: consumers are expected to drive these products to the depot or up to the landfill.

Since Covid has restricted access to the depot, people who weren't prepared to stand in line to return these products at the local depot are putting some of them in the garbage again. We were trained for a program that kept changing.

The problem with recycling programs has always been that the people initiating them too often forget the majority of people will generally do what's easiest, particularly if they can feel virtuous about doing it for the greater good - even if it's not. There are associated costs and consequences each time we consumers are encouraged to adapt to "new" policies. As always, I think we have to be careful we're not doing more harm than good.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

In various countries, trash incinerators are used to convert trash to energy and heating. Four tons of waste is roughly equivalent to 1 ton of oil or 1.5 tons of coal. The high-heat of the incinerator ensures extremely little pollution.

This is done in Sweden, Japan, and other countries. Japan alone has 1200 incinerators and 358 of them generate electricity. The remaining ash can be used for making bricks, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/21/clim ... -fuel.html
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Septuagenarian wrote: Oct 19th, 2021, 9:58 am
Jlabute wrote: Oct 19th, 2021, 9:32 am In various countries, trash incinerators are used to convert trash to energy and heating. Four tons of waste is roughly equivalent to 1 ton of oil or 1.5 tons of coal. The high-heat of the incinerator ensures extremely little pollution.

This is done in Sweden, Japan, and other countries. Japan alone has 1200 incinerators and 358 of them generate electricity. The remaining ash can be used for making bricks, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/21/clim ... -fuel.html
Could it be enviro-friendly for making cement?
Apparently it is eco-friendly.
https://ecosolutions.com/green-clean/

I would by far prefer incinerators for producing electricity to wind or solar. Not sure if ash can be used in cement, but if it is similar to brick, then perhaps it can.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Social Concerns”