Preserving natural spaces

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Preserving natural spaces

Post by occasional thoughts »

With apologies to Dogwood Nurseries and Byland's, et al, I'm of the opinion that nature does a much better job at landscaping than mankind will ever do. There is nothing more beautiful than an area of natural (undisturbed) land and vegetation in our formerly beautiful Okanagan Valley; no knapweed, no other wind-blown weeds, human disturbance, etc.

We rely on our governments to preserve open spaces, wildlife and natural vegetation habitats, natural vistas, and so on, but public funds are limited and the demands on them are vast. And we can't confiscate land from rightful owners in our liberal (lower case) democratic society. So over time I've come to believe strongly in private acquisition and preservation. I wish I had lands to leave for environmental preservation, but I and most of us don't live that kind of economic life.

I'm continually amazed and thrilled by the newsletters I receive from the Nature Trust of B.C. including the most recent, the Fall 2020 newsletter, heralding donations of whole islands in the Strait of Georgia and the B.C. coast, and it is also active in acquiring land and/or accepting donations in the South Okanagan, and throughout B.C.

Give it some thought when you're making your will or wondering what to do with a piece of land that may have natural and/or wildlife and other values. They might be a micro habitat or part of a wildlife or migration corridor.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Preserving natural spaces

Post by dirtybiker »

I know a couple who donated a piece of their property.
A bog/swamp/marsh that was un-useable as it sat.

In the stead of infilling it, it was donated to Ducks Unlimited(?)

And to double down on this generous act, quite unknowingly, a few years later big pants developer
came in with a poor fitment proposal (opinion held by many) for the area.

That previously donated and now registered habitat became the chink in the
developers/councils/planners armour.

It was not allowed to proceed.

Win/win.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Preserving natural spaces

Post by occasional thoughts »

I'm not a hunter, but I've been aware for a long span of years that Ducks Unlimited is very good too. Only slight problem, not really a problem, is that they concentrate on wetlands. But WAY MORE POWER to them Just means that people like the Nature Trust of B.C. can concentrate their donations too, and they're as interested in flora as they are in fauna. So good on your friends. Where (approximately) is their donation located?

Return to “Social Concerns”