Late payment of utility bills?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
islandbobcat

Late payment of utility bills?

Post by islandbobcat »

A family member of mine is having difficulty managing their finances, and I found out they haven't been paying their utility bills for the last few months. Looking online at the Kelowna website it says late payment results in 1.5% interest each month (and may eventually be added to property taxes?) but I am confused as to how it works and whether there is any way I can get my family member out of this. Has anyone dealt with this before? I am not local (I live on the island) and am trying to help from afar.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Late payment of utility bills?

Post by whatwhat »

Try calling the cities utility billing and see if they can help you??
hail Satan y'all
AltaRed
Fledgling

Post by AltaRed »

I assume this is the city water/garbage/sewer bill and not the electric or gas utility given the comment on arrears being added to property taxes. I agree the best thing is to call the Utilities department to discuss a make-up payment scheme.
islandbobcat

Post by islandbobcat »

Thank you for your replies! I am just hesitant to call the utilities department as I don't want to alert them to the late bills if they aren't aware of them yet. But I will consider doing that next week...
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

I think the only way you're going to be able to help is offering to pay the bills for them. But I don't think calling them directly will help as they will not talk to you about somebody else's account unless you're on the account
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

islandbobcat wrote:A family member of mine is having difficulty managing their finances, and I found out they haven't been paying their utility bills for the last few months. Looking online at the Kelowna website it says late payment results in 1.5% interest each month (and may eventually be added to property taxes?) but I am confused as to how it works and whether there is any way I can get my family member out of this. Has anyone dealt with this before? I am not local (I live on the island) and am trying to help from afar.
Does the family member know you know they are in arrears? If so, ask them for the account number and do an online payment - either one-time or spread over a couple of months depending on how large the bill is - to bring them up-to-date.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Call the city and ask to be put on tax deferral.

https://www.kelowna.ca/city-hall/proper ... -deferment
Bring back the LIKE button.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

islandbobcat wrote:Thank you for your replies! I am just hesitant to call the utilities department as I don't want to alert them to the late bills if they aren't aware of them yet. But I will consider doing that next week...
Oh they're aware , trust me ..

Best thing to do is call them , explain and offer a payment plan ...

They're human but want their money .. They will work with you .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Get the account number, setup the utility in your online banking list of payees then pay whatever amount you want. City won't know who made the payment or care as long as the bill is paid in full or reduced.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
P65
Fledgling

Post by P65 »

By all means contact the utility supplier and let them know the situation. If they can’t give you personal information due to privacy issues, they should at least be able to point you in the right direction for how to access help.
I believe Fortis was even proactively contacting customers early on during the pandemic asking if customers need assistance with their bills.
Just leaving it to add up will only cause further, unnecessary stress for your relative.
Good luck!
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

islandbobcat wrote:Thank you for your replies! I am just hesitant to call the utilities department as I don't want to alert them to the late bills if they aren't aware of them yet. But I will consider doing that next week...
Make no mistake, they are aware without you alerting them. It's always better to talk to them directly before they come after you. Not sure how they deal with these issues in this Covid time, but they usually send out 2-3 payment overdue notices before cutting services off and taking it to collections afterwards. The later guys would go after you like hyenas. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned, a property tax deferral might work, but that's assuming the debtor owned the property and the taxes were not deferred already.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

the only break they had ended August 2020. I agree, need to get it sorted before they decide to suspend service. Calling on a Friday best day to call, Mondays they can be rather cranky
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Just food for thought.. if you can get the account number ... and into your online bank... send them say 5.00 per week... not sure but it used to be if any payment is made they have to accept it and can not get stupid...
Just an idea to settle things down ... as for calling on a friday... if you get NEWBIE Joe,, he only follows orders and wants more coin until paid UP... good luck...

Return to “Social Concerns”