Why do people in England....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Why do people in England....

Post by dirtybiker »

Queen K wrote:DB, it's cold out, don't forget your jumper.
Well, I'm not a total git.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You're a git if you're still wearing your flip flops.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Queen K wrote:You're a git if you're still wearing your flip flops.
Um, I'm a man, I don't own any.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Best yet is when your English friend is leaving a social gathering before you and turns around and shouts "hey (insert name here), don't forget - knock me up in the morning. Amazing how fast the place went quiet - you could have heard a pin drop.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

oneh2obabe wrote:Best yet is when your English friend is leaving a social gathering before you and turns around and shouts "hey (insert name here), don't forget - knock me up in the morning. Amazing how fast the place went quiet - you could have heard a pin drop.
Try walking around in Australia wearing a "Roots" shirt sometime. I found out the hard way what that means down under. Also telling an Aussie that you are going to "keep them in the loop" and watch them explode with laughter at what a drongo you are.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Any pre-teen in England can buy rubbers.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I say rain boots rubbers
When I am in the mood ( read 3 glasses of wine) I can do a wicked Patsy from Ab Fab.
Had a friend ( guy) who would do Eddie and we'll have the best time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAfmM06pVUw
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I still mix up my Zed's and Zee's after living in the Y'all country years ago.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I love the expression "Bloody Hell" and use it quite often...it is just so perfect haha. And did you know that using the term "fanny" be it a fanny pack or referring to someones bottom, actually refers to vagina, so I strongly recommend not using that word unless you want to silence a room and get really strange looks lol.

And why oh why don't they winterise their homes?!! Went for visit with my daughter and her "housemates" in Watford a couple years ago in early March and almost froze my knickers off when their boiler broke down. And going to the loo was an experience, I'll tell you. The ancient single pane windows had air holes in them so when you were actually doing your business cold air would blow on you. And then I had to learn to pump the handle to basically siphon the water so it would flush and then I had to go to the shower room to wash my hands. As for other loo stories, one of the pubs we went to is well known for having the "Stairway to Heaven" stairs up to the bathroom, where it seems to me I counted at least 48 steps...can't imagine if a person was even a little tipsy how they could manage them, although by the time they got upstairs they'd probably be sober.

And not sure how the more modern homes were, but they only had a washer so we had to hang our clothes on a rack in the kitchen to dry, so it wasn't unusual to be staring at men's "pants" (underwear) or women's knickers while having "tea" (dinner) which was "takeaway" at least a couple times a week. As well, there was a dryer vent sized hole in the kitchen wall with a flapper that their landlord told them was NOT to be covered...well that vent would flap all the time because it seemed the wind never stopped blowing (I suspect not being allowed to close it had something to do with avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning from the boiler).

I love travelling, but will say that being able to stay with people who actually live in the particular country you are visiting is a far richer experience...I've been blessed to do be able to do this in both England and Italy.

Cheerio!!!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I much prefer Aussie speak to that of the Brits.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

After conversing with a cousin in jolly old, she would sign off the email with TTFN. ta-ta for now.
Caught myself doing the same after signing off on an email to Rona asking about some soffit material. I do find myself interjecting British sayings as it seems many in the neighborhood here are ex-pats and it sticks in what's left of my grey matter between the ears.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

A friend of mine puzzled me for awhile when she announced that she and her husband were moving house. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My maternal grandmother was English. While I never knew her, she left a strong stamp on my mom's vocabulary. Which in turn left a stamp on mine. It gets noticeably stronger when I'm reading British authors.
I haven't failed until I quit.
mbfarm131
Fledgling

Post by mbfarm131 »

Return to “Social Concerns”