Protests Matter, as BLM Study Shows

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
lifegives
Board Meister

Protests Matter, as BLM Study Shows

Post by lifegives »

It's good to see some data behind the effect that protesting can have in a positive way.
“Black Lives Matter represents a trend that goes beyond the decentralization that existed within the Civil Rights Movement,” says Aldon Morris, a sociologist at Northwestern University, who was not involved in the new study. “The question becomes, ‘Are Black Lives Matter protests having any real effect in terms of generating change?’ The data show very clearly that where you had Black Lives Matter protests, killing of people by the police decreased. It’s inescapable from this study that protest matters—that it can generate change.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... protests1/

Right now we have ongoing protests for BLM, Masks/lockdowns, and democracy. Seeing a study like this coming out with some real measurable data I think it can give heart to people who are torn between apathy and frustration.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Protests Matter, as BLM Study Shows

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lifegives wrote:It's good to see some data behind the effect that protesting can have in a positive way.
It also appears that starting these protest groups can have a real positive effect on your bank account too.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/10/marxist-b ... a-enclave/
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Interesting:
The specific mechanisms that might be involved in such a decline remain unclear. BLM protests may have this effect because they push police departments to adopt reforms such as body cams or community policing, as the study found. Another reason may be that the protests affect police morale, causing officers to adopt a less aggressive patrolling posture that reduces police-civilian interactions in general. And not all cities experienced declines amid the protests. Police homicides increased in Minneapolis, Portland, San Francisco and St. Louis during the five-year period Campbell studied.
Also, the objective:
Pulley says the Black Lives Matter movement can take some satisfaction in its possible impact on police homicides. “We should use that knowledge to know that the work we’re engaged in—the movement, the advocacy, the organizing—is what we need,” she says. “And that needs to expand and get broader, so we can join much of the rest of the world in having zero police killings. We can get there. That takes continued and persistent organizing.”
I doubt most rational people would expect police to stop using lethal force while we still have situations that legitimately require the police to use lethal force. I suppose this is the problem I see with the BLM ideology - it puts all the onus on the police force to change.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:
Also, the objective:
Pulley says the Black Lives Matter movement can take some satisfaction in its possible impact on police homicides. “We should use that knowledge to know that the work we’re engaged in—the movement, the advocacy, the organizing—is what we need,” she says. “And that needs to expand and get broader, so we can join much of the rest of the world in having zero police killings. We can get there. That takes continued and persistent organizing.”
I doubt most rational people would expect police to stop using lethal force while we still have situations that legitimately require the police to use lethal force. I suppose this is the problem I see with the BLM ideology - it puts all the onus on the police force to change.
Yes, it sounds like a false narrative being created (police never have to kill anyone ever when they are enforcing the law) and then somehow taking credit for no police killings due to "protests". The message basically is "the police were planning on killing a bunch of people, but thanks to us, they changed their minds". Could crime rates and violent crime dropping due to COVID also be a factor? Less violent acts committed by criminals begets less criminals being killed while in the act of committing violence. But hey let's ignore all that, and just pat ourselves on the back and go buy multi-million dollar houses to celebrate.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
rustled wrote:
Also, the objective:
  • "Pulley says the Black Lives Matter movement can take some satisfaction in its possible impact on police homicides. “We should use that knowledge to know that the work we’re engaged in—the movement, the advocacy, the organizing—is what we need,” she says. “And that needs to expand and get broader, so we can join much of the rest of the world in having zero police killings. We can get there. That takes continued and persistent organizing.” "
Yes, it sounds like a false narrative being created (police never have to kill anyone ever when they are enforcing the law) and then somehow taking credit for no police killings due to "protests". The message basically is "the police were planning on killing a bunch of people, but thanks to us, they changed their minds".
:up:
The Green Barbarian wrote:Could crime rates and violent crime dropping due to COVID also be a factor? Less violent acts committed by criminals begets less criminals being killed while in the act of committing violence. But hey let's ignore all that, and just pat ourselves on the back and go buy multi-million dollar houses to celebrate.
Not Covid:
It found that municipalities where BLM protests have been held experienced as much as a 20 percent decrease in killings by police, resulting in an estimated 300 fewer deaths nationwide in 2014–2019.
Maybe Republican White House? ;)

There doesn't seem to have been any real effort to examine the origins of on the ground initiatives targeted at supporting families, ensuring better opportunities for people in impoverished neighbourhoods, and initiatives to improve relationships between police and the communities.

Were these programs already in progress prior to the BLM protests?

Were they funded and supported by BLM?

Did they spring up after the BLM protests because suddenly, thanks to BLM, the people creating and delivering these programs were made aware of the problems in their communities?

Or did they spring up to prevent BLM activists from coming back and destroying their neighbourhoods again?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

rustled wrote:I doubt most rational people would expect police to stop using lethal force while we still have situations that legitimately require the police to use lethal force. I suppose this is the problem I see with the BLM ideology - it puts all the onus on the police force to change.
Unfortunately the shooting of Daunte Wright is the example of how using "lethal force" can get out of hand too quickly. Look at Britain, they don't carry guns and had just 3 fatal shootings in the 2018/2019 period. Or are the British criminals just making it such that lethal force isn't needed?

The way you seem to paint the BLM ideology reminds me of Trump's comment about the Charlottesville altercation where he said "both sides have good people." The protest is about how the police have an embedded racism issue, not about how criminals are dip- :cuss: -s. No one will disagree that we don't want criminals, but we have no control over that, we do have some control over how the police are trained and used.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lifegives wrote:
Unfortunately the shooting of Daunte Wright is the example of how using "lethal force" can get out of hand too quickly. Look at Britain, they don't carry guns and had just 3 fatal shootings in the 2018/2019 period. Or are the British criminals just making it such that lethal force isn't needed?
Comparing Britain to the USA is nonsensical.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

lifegives wrote:
rustled wrote:I doubt most rational people would expect police to stop using lethal force while we still have situations that legitimately require the police to use lethal force. I suppose this is the problem I see with the BLM ideology - it puts all the onus on the police force to change.
That's a good question. Maybe you can look into it? Perhaps there are some neighbourhoods in the UK where there are just as many guns in the hands of the citizens as there are in the toughest neighbourhoods in the US.

If so, what are police doing there, in those heavily armed neighbourhoods, that they are failing to do in the US?
lifegives wrote:The way you seem to paint the BLM ideology reminds me of Trump's comment about the Charlottesville altercation where he said "both sides have good people."
Does it.
lifegives wrote:The protest is about how the police have an embedded racism issue, not about how criminals are dip- :cuss: -s.
Yup, that IS what the protests ARE all about - "the police have an embedded racism issue". I completely understand that addressing the many serious issues that lead to confrontations with the police is of NO interest whatsoever. It's why some of the neighbourhoods the protestors are protesting in get trashed.
lifegives wrote:No one will disagree that we don't want criminals, but we have no control over that,
Hogwash. This is an excuse for BLM not spending their resources addressing the issues that lead to significantly higher numbers of confrontations with the police. It's not about addressing the issues that keep people down and out and involved with confrontations with the law, its ONLY about blaming the police when these confrontations go terribly wrong.
lifegives wrote:we do have some control over how the police are trained and used.
BLM uses them as scapegoats and income generators.

Tell me, lifegives, how much more training do you think the 26-year veteran who accidentally killed Duante Wright ought to have had? Seems to me it would be more logical to insist tasers and firearms be far less similar in shape and size than it is to blame her training. None of the mistakes Wright made mattered enough to you to mention when you brought him up here, though - you're not even a little interested in his "training" - and we get why: the priority was to blame the cop.

That's BLM.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

I have no issues with peaceful protests, providing protestors could articulate their demands.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Unfortunately the shooting of Daunte Wright is the example of how using "lethal force" can get out of hand too quickly.
The same Daunte Wright who has a history of weapons charges and pulled a weapon(Taser) on a cop before he was shot and killed? What was the cop supposed to do wait until he'd been shot or tased before he responded?

Why do people idolize or make a martyr out of common criminals in the name of race.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

cv23 wrote:
Unfortunately the shooting of Daunte Wright is the example of how using "lethal force" can get out of hand too quickly.
The same Daunte Wright who has a history of weapons charges and pulled a weapon(Taser) on a cop before he was shot and killed? What was the cop supposed to do wait until he'd been shot or tased before he responded?

Why do people idolize or make a martyr out of common criminals in the name of race.
Good question. I'm not sure Wright pulled a weapon during the scuffle (and Potter, the officer who accidentally shot him, is female), but he may or may not have been already known to the police trying to arrest him, he was wanted on an outstanding warrant involving a gun, and he was quite clearly refusing to comply:
Wright, 20, was driving an SUV when it was stopped Sunday afternoon by police for having expired license plates and an air freshener hanging from his rearview mirror.

Police then moved to arrest Wright on an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in court in a criminal case, where he was charged with carrying a gun without a permit, as well as with fleeing from police in June.

SNIP

Video from Potter’s body camera shows that Wright twisted away and ducked into his car when another police officer was trying to handcuff him.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/13/daunte- ... ictim.html
Obama and Harris were both all over this, fanning the flames of racism the same way BLM does, for the same reasons, with the same callous and irresponsible disregard for the consequences.

Kudos to Biden for NOT fanning the flames:
“It’s really a tragic thing that happened,” Biden said. “But I think we gotta wait and see what the investigation shows – and the entire investigation. You’ve all watched, I assume, as I did, the film, which is ... fairly graphic. The question is, was it an accident, was it intentional? That remains to be determined by a full-blown investigation.”

Biden added, “I want to make it clear again, there is absolutely no justification, none, for looting, no justification for violence.”

“Peaceful protests, understandable, and the fact is that, you know, we do know that the anger, pain, and trauma that exists in the Black community in that environment is real, it’s serious, and it’s consequential,” the president said. “But it will not justify violence and or looting.”
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

cv23 wrote:

Why does a person get pulled over for an air freshener? expired tags? and then dies?

Saying "history of weapons charges" is quite the turn of phrase since the warrant for his arrest was due to not showing up in court for two misdemeanors.

:topic:

There have been claims that BLM protests have killed people but according to ACLED the people who died were the protesters themselves (9). Based on this study it looks like the overall body count is +291 with the estimation that that is how many lives were saved due to these protests.

Based on other active protests, what could be a measurable outcome we should look at?

And yes, I think that the protests in Myanmar are helping motivate other countries to come in with sanctions etc. Wish something could be done to support the protests in Hong Kong.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

I notice that the OP wanted to really give a shout-out to BLM et al and how great they are doing at getting cops to stop their urge to kill people. I was wondering how acquainted the OP is with BLM and their methods...such as:
Screenshot 2021-04-13 135053.jpg
https://twitter.com/Not_the_Bee/status/ ... ways_.html

A commentary on the flip side of the "BLM is doing a fantastic job" narrative...
It's important, once again, to note that study after study shows that it's a lie that police are engaging in some sort of racist mass murder. Almost invariably, the person killed was violently resisting arrest (including George Floyd and Daunte Wright) or actively trying to kill the police officers.

So where do those three points take us? They take us to the fact that no person in his right mind should want to be a police officer in America today. The risks are simply too great. It was one thing when police officers put themselves at risk, something that tragically and horrifically goes with the job. Now, though, they're being told that their families will die, too. If they find themselves making a life-or-death call, or just doing ordinary things that have bad outcomes because the person they're dealing with is a drugged up, walking heart attack, they will be destroyed.
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... ways_.html
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

lifegives wrote:
cv23 wrote:The same Daunte Wright who has a history of weapons charges and pulled a weapon(Taser) on a cop before he was shot and killed? What was the cop supposed to do wait until he'd been shot or tased before he responded?

Why does a person get pulled over for an air freshener? expired tags? and then dies?
Pretending anyone suggested he needed to die or should have died or deserved to die is just plain silly.

Wright got pulled over for expired tags, Wright didn't have the registration for the vehicle he was driving, Wright was wanted on outstanding warrants, Wright tried to avoid arrest AGAIN, and Wright was accidentally killed while Wright was attempting to avoid arrest. But you want us to think the only reason Wright died was because of institutionalized racism. This is classic BLM.
lifegives wrote:Saying "history of weapons charges" is quite the turn of phrase since the warrant for his arrest was due to not showing up in court for two misdemeanors.
As per the news:
Police then moved to arrest Wright on an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in court in a criminal case, where he was charged with carrying a gun without a permit, as well as with fleeing from police in June.
Wright was due in court for a charge of carrying without a license and fleeing the police. Call it whatever you figure will make Wright look most innocent, whatever frees Wright completely from any responsibility whatsoever in the outcome of the choices Wright made.

That is exactly how BLM works.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

rustled wrote:Tell me, lifegives, how much more training do you think the 26-year veteran who accidentally killed Duante Wright ought to have had?
Enough training that she wouldn't mistake a gun for a taser. No matter how similar they are, it's no excuse. It's a mistake that has already cost her and her police chief their jobs... and it could get a whole lot worse for her.

Return to “Social Concerns”