Nazi Flag on display - WTH?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
BC Landlord
Guru

Re: Nazi Flag on display - WTH?

Post by BC Landlord »

oldtrucker wrote:Thank you for posting this....I just watched some segments of it on youtube- it's excellent in color. Color....the difference from some ancient long gone era-black and white to something more easily related to.
In the vids the enemy...the Nips,Jerry, Kraut, Tommies.Saying such a thing now would be considered racist...
Maybe it would be a really good idea for schools to show WW2 in Color in all its ugliness.
I watched it long time ago, but I can't recall any pejorative names. As I mentioned earlier, school kids would be well served by watching it. Apparently, some adults too.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Gilchy wrote:Some idiot in rural Alberta is hanging a Confederate and Nazi flag because he wants a reaction. What this has to do with a social studies curriculum, I do not know.
You mean a prank? Then, it would be in such a bad taste, that nothing short of a complete lack of education would explain it.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Ooh, a storm is threatening
My very life today
If I don't get some shelter
Ooh yeah I'm gonna fade away
War, children
It's just a shot away
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

BC Landlord wrote:
Gilchy wrote:Some idiot in rural Alberta is hanging a Confederate and Nazi flag because he wants a reaction. What this has to do with a social studies curriculum, I do not know.
You mean a prank? Then, it would be in such a bad taste, that nothing short of a complete lack of education would explain it.
Did you strain something on that reach?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I remember watching a weekly tv show called “ The War Years”, early to mid 70s.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

Uhhhh... :135:
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

BC Landlord wrote:I can understand there are some people out there with extreme views, but I cannot fathom how could anyone in right mind fly a Nazi flag today. Flying a flag should be a display of being proud of something what that flag symbolizes. What's going through this guy's mind is a mystery to me. Knowledge of history, definitely not.

I would also blame our education system for things like this. Years ago, they replaced history classes with social studies. It has become more important to teach kids 57+ genders, wokeness and political correctness, than real lessons from history. Kids nowadays don't even know who fought against who in WW2, let alone any background. Before that, WW1 must had happened because "1" comes before "2". That's their knowledge.
Oh I don't think it's fair to blame the education system. I'm not coming to their defense mind you.

I think our public school system has so much to teach, that they can't spend enough time on any subject. As a result, all they can really do is briefly skim over subjects to educate that it happened and maybe challenge the kids to understand why, but at some point, we, as a society, need to expect individuals to seek out answers on our own.

When I went to high school, it was called social studies. We were taught history. I never actually knew why it was called social studies and not just history. But as a kid, I did "ok" in school. I certainly didn't leave school fully understanding WW1 or WW2. I knew that the good guys and the bad guys killed each other off and we were the good guys and we won. That's what I knew. Surely my teachers taught more than that, but that's what I got from it.

Education is a life long journey that we all embark on. I think the school system is just there to teach us how to learn. It's really sad that some individuals could possibly side with the nazi regime, unless they either don't understand it at all, or they completely agree with it which seems quite deranged.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I like how we're all pretending that skinheads, neo-nazis and racists are a new phenomon, and not something that has been around forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Nazism#Canada
Neo-Nazism in Canada began with the formation of the Canadian Nazi Party in 1965. In the 1970s and 1980s, neo-Nazism continued to spread in the country as organizations including the Western Guard Party and Church of the Creator (later renamed Creativity) promoted white supremacist ideals.[192] Founded in the United States in 1973, Creativity calls for white people to wage racial holy war (Rahowa) against Jews and other perceived enemies.[193]

Don Andrews founded the Nationalist Party of Canada in 1977. The purported goals of the unregistered party are "the promotion and maintenance of European Heritage and Culture in Canada," but the party is known for anti-Semitism and racism. Many influential neo-Nazi Leaders, such as Wolfgang Droege, were affiliated with the party, but many of its members left to join the Heritage Front, which was founded in 1989.[194]

Droege founded the Heritage Front in Toronto at a time when leaders of the white supremacist movement were "disgruntled about the state of the radical right" and wanted to unite unorganized groups of white supremacists into an influential and efficient group with common objectives.[194] Plans for the organization began in September 1989, and the formation of the Heritage Front was formally announced a couple of months later in November. In the 1990s, George Burdi of Resistance Records and the band Rahowa popularized the Creativity movement and the white power music scene.[195][page needed]

Controversy and dissention has left many Canadian neo-Nazi organizations dissolved or weakened.[194]
But sure, it must be the current school curriculum's fault.
mbfarm131
Fledgling

Post by mbfarm131 »

Nasty subject. I'm really surprised that nobody has addressed the negative sentiment towards the perceived status of the Jewish people that is rising online. At this point it's impossible to miss.

This issue doesn't fall at the feet of the educational system or the lack of available content on Netflix et al. regarding Nazism in the 20s thru the 40s, it is one of the most reviewed and spoken about social history topics there is. Most countries have Holocaust memorial museums, anyone in the Entertainment industry who says anything that could be construed as negative criticism pointing toward the so-called "Jewish Question" are immediately and very publicly set straight (see the recent high-profile Nick Cannon tirade on his podcast "Wild N Out"), the recent cancelling of Gina Carano regarding her statement about the Holocaust and so on.

This perception comes in the assumption that people's own personal misery and lack of purpose is connected to the existence of the Jewish people. They connect what is typically referred to as "cultural nepotism" to the idea that Jewish people, more specifically Zionists, have a monopoly on the world's major industries ie: banking, energy, media, entertainment, and are working on a devious plot to institute a socio-political paradigm of Zionist supremacy. The resurgence of Nazism is, very unfortunately, a more widespread issue that with just a few uneducated, angry white men, it's on the rise across the racial and cultural spectrum. Many young adults these days are looking down the barrel of a future that has made it impossible for most to own a home, raise a family on one income, perpetual student debt, inflation on commodities that is so out of this world it's to the point that it's laugh-out-loud funny, and paying incredible amounts of taxes the lions share of which are going toward interest payments for federal debts to private "Jewish" bankers. The rise in Nazism amongst young people is that they are using Hitler's trope about private Jewish banking and how it would destroy completely the social fabric of the German people and their culture. Germany would one day no longer belong to Germans, it would be handed over to financiers and creditors and when identifying said creditors, the finger pointed to entire class of humans. He riled up an entire nation over this concept and then sacrificed them in a world war, their anger and protectionism the fuel needed to propel them into such a disaster.

The present day anger toward a perceived disenchantment and the feeling of being "sold out" and "owned", mixed with the perceived notion of not being able to ask pointed questions, highlight certain patterns or question the possibility of cultural motives due to the "victim" or "protected class" status of the Jewish people, has emboldened many young people to take the troublesome stance of using their own misgivings as justification for creating a cultural divide and musing about going on a witch-hunt. They are beginning to drink the "Jews are the oppressor" kool-aid and it's not a good trend, because sooner or later they're going to start believing that if the oppressor is removed, we can finally be free. This is a cyclical, fruitless endeavor that has been repeated again and again throughout history.

These young people, feeling disenfranchised and bitter, would scoff at all of your suggestions that they weren't taught history and they would throw it right back at you. They would blame you, the boomer, for defending "bankers wars" and exulting them as "freedom". Wars after which saw personal and federal debts rise exponentially like a hockey stick graph. Rather than praising soldiers for their sacrifice, they blame the war for the current feeling of hopelessness.

In order to understand a topic, you need to be able to argue both sides. If you can't then you're only approaching the issue from an emotional standpoint and people can see that a mile away. This is the case for everything. Calls for social studies reform or watching Netflix documentaries is a lazy attempt at trying to put a bandaid over a festering wound. If any of you are concerned about this issue, and you absolutely should be, you should try and understand where these rising sentiments are coming from, and not brush them off as insignificant inbred idiots. Otherwise you're doing nothing more than paying lip service and you're actually making them more jaded and pushing them further toward extremism. This goes way deeper than "Trump" or "Charlottsville" or "whiteness" or whatever lazy spin you can put on it. Understand where they're coming from and then bestow wisdom and guidance based on that understanding. If you can't be bothered to do that, no problem, but if that is the case then it would be better if you would just sit this one out. Your emotional, condescending stance on this history will not go anywhere with angry young adults who feel that nothing has been left for them at the trough, the emotional, condescending stance only further cements their ideals. If that continues to happen, these stories will get a lot more frequent and widespread than just some leather-boy nazi larper in Alberta.

Just as a quick example, here is just a random, very watered down, comedy bit that subtly opens to door to this sentiment. I invite you to go to YouTube and check out the likes to dislikes. I'm not at all saying videos like this need to be demonized, I'm saying the fact that they are is helping to fuel bitterness and division. We need to approach this whole thing differently or the problem will only grow.

If this is a topic that interests you, I would also invite you to read this book, written by the former head of the South African Reserve Bank. It's not about nazism but it is about banking and banking was one of the major fulcrum points for the German public's consent to the war.

https://ia801703.us.archive.org/26/item ... Drive_.pdf

I can't stress this enough, it's a new world now; Steven Speilberg movies, Neflix documentaries and social studies class isn't going to cut the mustard when it comes to a coherent understanding of this history. Without a coherent understanding of this history, we could easily see a rise and emboldening of cowardly and divisible characters like the one in Alberta, who also only choose to focus on the parts of history that suit them and then justify their stance based upon that. I think, at the very least, the majority of us can agree, that is not a trajectory we want to be on. Either understand that there is a broader picture and use that insight to help steer this ship or understand that your talking points are worn out and are counterproductive at this point. I say this with the upmost respect and as delicately as possible. The gravity of this topic doesn't elude me. Like many others, I had relatives who fought and died in this war and I get very angry and that there is a rising notion that they were duped. We owe it to them to foster a better understanding of how this all came about in the first place. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, after all.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Septuagenarian wrote:Nazi flag and Confederate flag flown sided by side in Alberta; the history of the merger of the two ideologies and symbols; Charlottesville march with the Confederate flags and tiki torches; Michigan Capitol occupation with the Nazi flag and the Confederate flag against Gretchen Whitmer; the plot to kidnap Gretchen Whitmer; storming the U.S. Capitol with the Confederate and Trump flags; Trump flag, no masks, anti-lockdown protesters with tiki torches march in downtown Calgary (and Edmonton); it takes two days for Jason Kenney to publicly recognize the significance of the tiki torches at the event(s); Kenney claims Gretchen Whitmer is “brain dead” over another matter; but then Kenney receives death threats and the Alberta Legislature is suspended and emptied during the spring session.

Welcome to Alberta in 2021.
As I mentioned earlier, none of what you mentioned compares to what Nazis stood for and committed in WW2. Comparing tiki torches and Capitol rioters to Nazis is a huge disrespect to the Holocausts victims, and quite frankly, ... disgusting. :-X
Last edited by BC Landlord on May 14th, 2021, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Nazi flag next to Confederate flag... maybe not mass numbers.

I compare nazi concentration camps to a Billie Holiday song of the south “Strange Fruit”.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

BC Landlord wrote:As I mentioned earlier, none of what you mentioned compares to what Nazis stood for and committed in WW2. Comparing tiki torches and Capitol rioters to Nazis is a huge disrespect to the Holocausts victims, and quite frankly, ... disgusting. :-X
His references seemed more to allude to the fact that what is being seen in Alberta right now are precursors in a similar way to what led to the atrocities committed by the Nazis in WW2 ... Hitler started off subtly, he wasn't out of the gate the enemy of humanity he became ... parallels can be drawn to some of the more questionable behaviours we're seeing like this ...

But how do you stop this crap from happening without being seen as totalitarian yourself? ... damn that whole "free speech" mantra ...
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

spooker wrote:His references seemed more to allude to the fact that what is being seen in Alberta right now are precursors in a similar way to what led to the atrocities committed by the Nazis in WW2 ...
His references were a relativization, and one of its worst kind. Period!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

BC Landlord wrote:If I may suggest, do your kids a favor, and have them watch this documentary series on Netflix. In a few hours they will learn far more than anything in school on this matter, and better yet, understand how it happened.
WW2 in color.jpg
It should be required viewing for conservatives and Republicans :smt045

- leftists already watch Netflix :138:
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

It should be required viewing for conservatives and Republicans :smt045

- leftists already watch Netflix :138:
Haha you are so ridiculous man, should documentaries on the Red Terror, Holodomor and China's Great Leap Forward be required viewing for liberals?
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis

Return to “Social Concerns”