Old growth logging

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
oldtrucker
Guru

Re: Old growth logging

Post by oldtrucker »

BC Landlord wrote: May 30th, 2021, 2:35 pm he only civilized way out of that would be to help them out of poverty, and that can't be accomplished without the economic growth and cheap energy.
Maybe shudda addressed that in about 1950 when population was below 2.5B.
So what's your population cut off point where you say there is no civilized way of dealing with it? 10B,12B ?
It's too late now. Besides, in order for one to be defined as poor, there have to be the rich to compare to- for a base line.
Without poor people, you can't be defined as being rich.
If everyone was struck by lightning from the equality gods and everyone gave up what they had to lift all on earth out of poverty....1 billion in Africa, a few more billion elsewhere.....our standard of living here in the west would drop by 90%-95%. Lumber couldn't be 15$ for a 2X4 and a 1100sqft house couldn't be $1.1 million for that to work. People here don't give a bleep about their own senior citizen neighbours that can't afford housing, medicine or food. And that's just on the money side.
Lets go back to the forest side of things.....What forest? There wont be a single tree left on earth, never mind old growth if this is allowed to continue at this rate.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
BC Landlord
Übergod

Post by BC Landlord »

oldtrucker wrote: May 30th, 2021, 3:39 pm Maybe shudda addressed that in about 1950 when population was below 2.5B.
So what's your population cut off point where you say there is no civilized way of dealing with it? 10B,12B ?
It's too late now. Besides, in order for one to be defined as poor, there have to be the rich to compare to- for a base line.
Without poor people, you can't be defined as being rich.
If everyone was struck by lightning from the equality gods and everyone gave up what they had to lift all on earth out of poverty....1 billion in Africa, a few more billion elsewhere.....our standard of living here in the west would drop by 90%-95%. Lumber couldn't be 15$ for a 2X4 and a 1100sqft house couldn't be $1.1 million for that to work. People here don't give a bleep about their own senior citizen neighbours that can't afford housing, medicine or food. And that's just on the money side.
Lets go back to the forest side of things.....What forest? There wont be a single tree left on earth, never mind old growth if this is allowed to continue at this rate.
There should never be a population "cut-off point", by design. Once we get to that, we are talking eugenics, and that's a vary nasty thing.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

BC Landlord wrote: May 30th, 2021, 4:25 pm There should never be a population "cut-off point". Once we get to that, we are talking eugenics, and that's a vary nasty thing.
That's right. When the last of the resources has been reached, it's going to get a lot worse than being a very nasty thing. That's when culling comes in.
So let's do what we have to do now, skip the political correctness now, do what needs to be done -now, and not let it get to that point...
1 kid each for 60 years in signatory countries....anyone that doesn't want to play is on their own- entirely.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:

Old Growth Logging
“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” - Mark Twain

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Edward Abbey
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Catsumi wrote: May 30th, 2021, 4:37 pm :topic:

Old Growth Logging
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: / 5
Bring back the LIKE button.
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

This latest protest got me thinking, how many times have we heard that same spiel,
This is the last untouched valley in blah blah blah.

Ever since, the 80s, the 90s, environmental groups have used this line.
Is it true this time?
I have no idea but when ever I hear it, I just pass it off as another anti-logging demonstration.
Maybe I'm a bit numb to these groups and their doom and gloom preaching.
NO BEIJING 2022

THE TWO MICHAELS. Never forget them.

CHINA. Never forgive them.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

bb49 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:10 pm This latest protest got me thinking, how many times have we heard that same spiel,
This is the last untouched valley in blah blah blah.

Ever since, the 80s, the 90s, environmental groups have used this line.
Is it true this time?
No it is not true . The mid coast, according to a RPF that was on CBC's noon program last week, mentioned there is 100 years of harvesting available in first growth in BC's mid coast timber supply area. Without a doubt there will be another point of view contesting remaining first growth timber, but hope facts play out and the forest sector continues to log and provide jobs and wood products many of use use every day.
By far, most of Fairy creek is protected, what is proposed to be harvested is a small area of a much larger area.
I really hope the government does not cave, I suspect they won't as the local FN has blessed the limited harvesting.

This gets harvested over the years and before long we will hear the same hyperbole about this is the last stand of old growth in another proposed area with first growth timber.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

^^^
Thanks Seewood. That's pretty well what I suspected.

I spent a lifetime working in the forest industry, coast and interior, did my share of "raping and pillaging", so I often know when these groups are stringing a line or telling the truth. Which they seldom do.
Its just that I've lost touch with the coastal industry.
NO BEIJING 2022

Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

What are the police hiding at Fairy Creek? https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/371- ... iry-creek/
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

Glacier wrote: May 31st, 2021, 3:53 pm What are the police hiding at Fairy Creek? https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/371- ... iry-creek/
From the story,
“Speaking with those officers on the ground was really frustrating,” Thomson tells Seucharan, “because they clearly didn’t have, really, any idea of what media do, what the rights of media are, or any interest in it.

We all know what the media does nowadays. Report stories with a strong bias. Not the facts, just a bias.

In this case, CanadaLand: These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes.

What are the RCMP hiding? Probably not very much.
NO BEIJING 2022

gertlush

Post by gertlush »

Only reason its not shut down yet is because the FN supports it. So next step for the protestors is try to sway them. And they will, easy win for the FN, shut down the logging, gov will make you whole on the stumpage, you are hero to the hippies and mothee earth, and you keep the trees for harvesting a few years down the road. Teal will come crawling back cause they need the fibre.

Watch... theyll discover an old trapline up there or a midden

Edit: everybody just needs a way to save face. Horgan needs to be able to throw up his hands and say "well, the FN must be respected". Nobody owes Teal any favours, theyre investing in the Southeast US too. The fact that its the elected FN leaders who signed the deal bodes ill too. They can be portrayed as capitalist lackeys against the wise and spiritual elders.
gertlush

Post by gertlush »

...aaanddd the logging is done. Quel surprise.

The next step will reallly *bleep* people off. The natives are going to barricade all these roads. You wanna hug a tree? Not here buddy. Who use who? The enviros got played here i think.

NDP really screwed up here, I could see this being one of the issues costing them the next elevtion.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Kill an ancient tree, plant a few seedlings, that will make it all better. Politicians with shovels get their mugs in the news with children and the loggers will continue to make their profits. Protesters are just a nuisance that can be shuffled away. All is well in the civilized world.
I birn quil I se
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#336859
'Old growth logging not easy to quit'.....
Replace the words 'old growth logging' with ...opioids,... or slavery,... or gambling,... Maybe hard to quit, but what's more important -peoples need to make a living ,jobs and the economy or preserving what is still left?
There should be no more- for any reason. Not for any contract or obligation, for any group- including FN, for any company, for any amount of jobs, for any amount of money.
Like the article says....It's not as simple as black and white, yes/no......Or is it?

Return to “Social Concerns”