Old growth logging

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
cfriedemann

Re: Old growth logging

Post by cfriedemann »

I find it amazing that the FOREST industry "knows to the dollar" how much Old growth Logging is worth and "how many people it employs" almost immediately and whatever other "bull droppings" they want to spew...to get their way.
. Cut the "cow dung". What instrument is made out of wood anymore? Most are carbon, or some sort of plastic or of wood out of Spain or China or India. Electronic music does not care if it is in a metal box or plastic or NEW GROWTH forest wood. Marijuana can be mixed with resin to give a board and marijuana is just a GRASS. IKEA learned to make furniture out of sawdust. Houses are made out of MDF and then covered over with plaster, cement siding, aluminum siding or the house is made out of brick.
.What is stopping you from making new wood sound old? The reasons to cut old growth is not there.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

For every "old growth tree", 10 new ones can be replanted and harvested again later, and they can be replanted with new seedlings, for future generations to reap the benefits.

Big trees are a wonder to look at, but they do not have any value unless they are included in the economic value system.
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

cfriedemann wrote: Jun 20th, 2021, 12:00 pm What instrument is made out of wood anymore?
Evidently a few. I was falling Spruce up Valemont way one freeking cold winter. Good sized trees, many were wider than my 32"bar. When a larger spruce was cut, we did our best to determine if there was potential for the first log to be "tone-wood" Huge demand evidently. If it made the fussy criteria, it was put in a special pile and off to the coast it went to be made into flitches. Some stayed local (BC) and some went off shore to be made into instruments which were sold around the world.
Sitka spruce is the same. Valued for the straight grain, light weight and strength. Colour is also a factor when made into 100X 100 or 105 X 105mm squares for the Asian market.

Trust me, there is no shortage of "old-growth" that is way over mature and not suitable for making toilet paper.

Currently I am taking some old siding off the house. Clear, VG, 91/2" tapered Red cedar. Most of it has been repurposed at a neighbours house for siding in an enclosed area. I know that wood would be pretty difficult to find today and if so, rather expensive. Shame in our case, previous owners painted it and not stained it.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 20th, 2021, 12:29 pm Big trees are a wonder to look at, but they do not have any value unless they are included in the economic value system.
They don't need to be in the 'economic value system'
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 20th, 2021, 12:29 pm Big trees are a wonder to look at, but they do not have any value unless they are included in the economic value system
It seems some believe paying one or two, 20 bucks an hour for a few months of the year to lead others traipsing around a west coast rain forest,( rain or bugs, your choice) benefits BC more than the logging industry. Weird.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

cfriedemann wrote: Jun 20th, 2021, 12:00 pm The reasons to cut old growth is not there.
There is sooooo much you don't know about the forest industry, about old growth timber, even about how businesses operate successfully.

Prior to making statements such as your last one, you should educate yourself before criticizing.
NO BEIJING 2022

THE TWO MICHAELS. Never forget them.

CHINA. Never forgive them.
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/B ... cle-access
B.C. RCMP say Fairy Creek activists cut 18 trees to block vehicle access

And then there's this idiot.
It says one person was also found to be smoking a cigarette surrounded by dry and tinder forest. 

How anyone can support these "more ons" is beyond me. They've crossed the line.
NO BEIJING 2022

THE TWO MICHAELS. Never forget them.

CHINA. Never forgive them.

Return to “Social Concerns”