What does Manhood mean to YOU

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
cb0208

What does Manhood mean to YOU

Post by cb0208 »

Hi Everyone,

I am a student at Okanagan College, I am working on an article called, "What does 'manhood' mean to you?" Father's Day is coming up. It would be great to get those who wish to have their responses placed in my article then published on my website.

I am taking my question here to Castanet hoping to get responses from all genders. I hope to hear from ALL genders not just men.

Question is: What does 'manhood' mean to you?

You can either private message me if you are more comfortable doing that or answer me on the board. Either way I would like to hear from you.

Thank you and I hope to get some response for my story! Deadline is due June 14, 2021

Christine
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Re: What does Manhood mean to YOU

Post by Staredintoabyss »

Traditionally? Manhood is when a man takes the burdens of his world upon his shoulders and makes it his mission to provide value and service to the world that birthed him. It meant a welcoming into the brotherhood of the world and all the hardship and respect from carrying that burden.

Nowadays? It means being somehow responsibe for everything but appreciated for nothing. It means going into the world blind without guidance or support but still being told about your privileges and how easy you have it by people who know nothing of what they speak. It means being the universal fallguy for every neurotic activist type beating the gaslit war-drum of the week.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

oldtrucker wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 9:13 am I'm not sure the term is relevant or exists anymore.
If it does exist still, my definition from 40 years ago would be totally different than what it would be today.
Manhood....or masculinity, are no longer valued as they are not needed in our soft modern world.

A man that builds a stable family, and a stable business.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

when I read that term I think about Bodice ripper novels
" his rising Manhood"
I never hear that term used now
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
cb0208

Post by cb0208 »

wow, OldTrucker, what a response I would love to read more about your thoughts, your message really got to me :) and worth reading. All other responses are awesome and I hope to receive more from you, your families. All the responses are worthwhile and I appreciate all of them I will be monitoring this a lot. Thank you and keep posting! :up:
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

I think, we should ask women for the definition.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I think it's when someone transitions from doing childish things and matures into someone who thinks of the consequences of their actions.

No more "Hold my Beer and watch this!" :D
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
cb0208

Post by cb0208 »

BC Landlord wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm I think, we should ask women for the definition.
Yes ALL genders are urged to respond!
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

All ? Lol - How many should we be expecting?

...asking for a friend

---------------------------------

Default setting of manhood since the beginning of time: provide & protect.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

BC Landlord wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm I think, we should ask women for the definition.
Norma gave us hers, but she's not hearing it anymore.
normaM wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 12:56 pm when I read that term I think about Bodice ripper novels
" his rising Manhood"
I never hear that term used now
Norma, you have to get off the keyboard and mingle more often, preferably with men.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

It changes between each generation, when I was younger it was one thing but with today's world I see it differently.

When life was more local it was something concrete, a line in the sand that once crossed you'd have the rights and responsibilities of all adults in the tribe. Now it's seems blurred by all the messaging we get from TV, movies, and media. A kid from a dysfunctional home who has take on the mantle of caregiver for mentally absent parents. As someone mentioned, it's when you willingly take on the duties commensurate with your role in the community.

Recognizing the equality of genders there is no singular "manhood" or "womanhood", just "adulthood". Physical transitions are being affected by our diet and environment so they can't be relied upon to mark the occasion. My kids feel that a rite of passage will be getting their own cellular plan and the latest iPhone (but without having to pay for it yet). I still think it'll be when I drive them out in the bush and they can get back home in less than two months, alive!
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

Women are the ones who have been giving the definition for awhile now, the very negative one so common now was birthed by feminism.

We act like we hear men's perspectives all the time, but we don't, not really.
Many of us have not felt safe to speak our minds for a long time.

I have to respectfully disagree with the person above me.
There is a lot of theory and wishful thought being portrayed there, a certainty that is inappropriate to the complexities and importance of the topic.

Our absence of humility in the face of these questions has cost us dearly as a culture.
We are very arrogant with our warm houses and our little gadgets, we think we can decide our own nature however suits us like it's a game of make believe.
We forget millenia of toil and pain and challenge that preceded us that we have been spared for such a brief window of time, barely a flicker of the candle.
We think we know what we are better than all who came before us........but maybe we are as far from knowing ourselves as society has ever been.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Never gave it one iota moments thought, ever. Silly question in my opinion.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
JMoretti

Post by JMoretti »

Unflinching integrity in deeds and actions. Period.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

seewood wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 7:15 am Never gave it one iota moments thought, ever. Silly question in my opinion.
This was either crafted amazingly well
or
the most ironically hilarious answer ever.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Social Concerns”