What does Manhood mean to YOU

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: What does Manhood mean to YOU

Post by TylerM4 »

Jonrox wrote: Jun 8th, 2021, 10:14 am You've misunderstood me. I guess I shouldn't have said "all of the characteristics"... I should have said "all of the good characteristics".

And it's not oversimplifying... it's easy to be a good person regardless of how much money someone has. How much money they have is irrelevant.

I think some folks are really overthinking and overcomplicating this. People started posting that "manhood" is a set of good characteristics for a man to have. I'm suggesting that those characteristics shouldn't be limited to just men... they apply to all genders so calling those the defining characteristics of "manhood" isn't really the correct term to use.
Regardless, I still believe the thinking is flawed.

To me, manhood involves social expectations for men that don't exist for boys. We expect boys to be polite, kind, respectful, etc. Therefore, those traits aren't really attributed to manhood, they're simply attributed to being a good person. If they're not attributed to manhood, those are big elements of "being a good person" that aren't included.

There is much overlap sure, but to say they mean the same thing (or even to say it includes all of the good aspects) doesn't really make sense.
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

TylerM4 wrote: To me, manhood involves social expectations for men that don't exist for boys.
manhood
[ˈmanˌho͝od]

NOUN
the state or period of being a man rather than a child.

"boys in the process of growing to manhood"
:smt045 Seems to work. Other than that I think "manhood" is one of those terms that can be ambiguous and mean something slightly or even significantly different for different people. I like the definition above. Straightforward and simple.
When I retire I want to be careful not to play too much golf. Two rounds a day should be plenty.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

as a woman/mother who is raising a young man in today's world...do yourself a favour and stop telling them to "man up" on certain things..

tell your boy that yes, he can cry ( emotions are a part of normal life) encourage him to speak when life gets tough( some men have a very hard time understanding that communication is important..nobody can read your mind, and stewing over something for days is just needless )

if they don't like sports or hunting etc ( "defined" manly things) it's ok...those things do not make you a man...everyone has different hobbies..do what brings you joy..you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself..

treat woman/children/animals anything weaker than you with respect and protect them when needed..

learn how to take care of yourself...you don't need someone to cook and clean for you when you are quite capable of doing it yourself..

keep your appearance in good shape..especially your teeth..you'll miss them when they are gone and so will everyone else when they look at you..

and most of all when you find that special person in your life ( whether it be female or male) love and respect your partner always..and if things go sideways and you aren't getting the same love and respect back...walk away, don't ever try to convince yourself that you need to beg for those things..cause you don't..
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

^ I like that W105. I'll add to that learn to be accountable and responsible for your own thinking, attitude and behavior.
When I retire I want to be careful not to play too much golf. Two rounds a day should be plenty.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

oh..I forgot to add one other very important thing..have a good work ethic..your employment /career will always and forever be the biggest part of your life..so pick something that you love or do what needs to be done to achieve it..you'll be glad that you did..

old RudyK has some good suggestions ( for all of us) even though some might be a tad outdated...

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream – and not make dreams your master;
If you can think – and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with wornout tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings – nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run –
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And – which is more – you’ll be a Man my son!
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

I find this comment very interesting, as it groups three things together and classifies them as "weaker" than men.
treat woman/children/animals anything weaker than you with respect and protect them when needed..
That is saying that, "women are weaker and not equal to men".

That is a VERY interesting statement to make....... :138: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

195701914_4419922634706717_1813670633547243589_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
youjustcomplain
Übergod

Post by youjustcomplain »

manhood, to me equals penis.

If you'd asked me 20 years ago, it would have meant something about being strong, confident and providing for your family.
50 years ago, it might have meant being able to protect your family and provide an income sufficient that your wife could stay home.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

youjustcomplain wrote: Jun 8th, 2021, 5:41 pm and provide an income sufficient that your wife could stay home.
Why?
Enter the discussion on men being nothing more than a meal ticket and if that doesn't work, nothing more than a support payment in the eyes of her and the gov't.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
Beerhunter341
Board Meister

Post by Beerhunter341 »

the truth wrote: Jun 7th, 2021, 5:54 pm
Beerhunter341 wrote: Jun 7th, 2021, 2:03 pm I think that term is outdated.
so what would you want it to be called then ?
I want to call it manhood but it is not up to me. People seem to want things like personhood and *bleep* like that.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

Glacier wrote: Jun 8th, 2021, 4:56 pm Image
:up: :up:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 8th, 2021, 4:24 pm I find this comment very interesting, as it groups three things together and classifies them as "weaker" than men.
That is saying that, "women are weaker and not equal to men".

That is a VERY interesting statement to make....... :138: :popcorn: :popcorn:
I feel like you're trying to stir the pot here. Popcorn emoji's and all. Hoping for some drama. Let's avoid that practice OK?

There is sexism, and then there is genetics. This is simply genetics. Men and women are not exactly the same. We are different and it's OK to recognize those differences.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
mbfarm131
Fledgling

Post by mbfarm131 »

oldtrucker wrote: Jun 8th, 2021, 6:19 pm
youjustcomplain wrote: Jun 8th, 2021, 5:41 pm and provide an income sufficient that your wife could stay home.
Why?
Enter the discussion on men being nothing more than a meal ticket and if that doesn't work, nothing more than a support payment in the eyes of her and the gov't.
Why? Preservation of the family unit. The mother stays home for the benefit of the children, so she can teach them and help to provide exposure to the community in a cooperative and symbiotic setting. Unfortunately this ideal doesn't really hold up in modern, urbanite living where the individual is atomized and alienated rather than part of a strong family unit that helps to provide value an a community that works together for sufficiency and socialization. But that's how it once was, and still is in more rural/farming settings. The consequences of having children placed in the care of the state, under the guidance and supervision of a stranger, due to having both parents away from the home and working, are very negative for the preservation of social cohesion and personal responsibility. Households with two working parents are a nightmare for the developing mind and spirit. By extension, most of the framework of social modernity is a disaster for childhood development.

A man should lead his family, doing what it takes to provide in order for the family to remain cohesive, healthy and functioning. Having an atmosphere of perpetual stress, upheaval and separation within the family unit is being a bad leader and a bad provider. Being a debt slave, living below your means and artificially supported on credit so that it's necessary for both parents to be working and having the children being raised by someone who could never have the love and prioritization for the child that it's parents do, is not being a good leader or provider. This manosphere BS about not wanting to be a "meal ticket" is childish thinking and could only be the thought process of a man who does not have kids, or worse yet does not love his kids, and is therefore not an actual provider. It's placing material desires above familial, social and existential priorities.

By that metric, I could argue that since this ideal is almost impossible to achieve in an urban environment, it's therefore almost impossible to be a man in an urban setting. Rather than carving out an existence and providing for the mother of your children, children who will carry your lineage and bloodline into the next generation, you're working for someone else so that you can pay someone else to provide for you and your family. Nothing really separating you from an infant, other than motor skills. Even if you have a wife and kids in an urban environment, there is little chance your wife is raising them on a day to day basis, she probably needs to work so you can make ends meet, so you're dependent on someone else to raise them as they see fit. There is little chance you're teaching them tangible skills or the importance of sufficiency since the urban environment provides everything you need to survive, you exist merely to pay for your existence and you seek out entertainment and quick dopamine hits with the little spare time you have. That is nothing more than being a consumer that happens to have offspring, a title that is gender non-conforming, which may be why we're seeing this whole virtue signal about equality and blurring the lines of male and female. Consumers are equal, they have no specific titles that gives them purpose or status other than what type of product they can consume and how often.

In the modern world, where we don't work toward a purpose greater than our own material gain, there is no difference between men and women. In the traditional and/or natural world, where existence itself is a higher order than simple material desires, nobody would even think about asking what manhood means, it would be self evident, equally as important as womanhood but serving a polar opposite, yet perfectly balanced, calling.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

mbfarm131 wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 9:21 am Preservation of the family unit. The mother stays home for the benefit of the children, so she can teach them and help to provide exposure to the community in a cooperative and symbiotic setting. Unfortunately this ideal doesn't really hold up in modern, urbanite living where the individual is atomized and alienated rather than part of a strong family unit that helps to provide value an a community that works together for sufficiency and socialization. But that's how it once was, and still is in more rural/farming settings. The consequences of having children placed in the care of the state, under the guidance and supervision of a stranger, due to having both parents away from the home and working, are very negative for the preservation of social cohesion and personal responsibility. Households with two working parents are a nightmare for the developing mind and spirit. By extension, most of the framework of social modernity is a disaster for childhood development.

A man should lead his family, doing what it takes to provide in order for the family to remain cohesive, healthy and functioning. Having an atmosphere of perpetual stress, upheaval and separation within the family unit is being a bad leader and a bad provider. Being a debt slave, living below your means and artificially supported on credit so that it's necessary for both parents to be working and having the children being raised by someone who could never have the love and prioritization for the child that it's parents do, is not being a good leader or provider. This manosphere BS about not wanting to be a "meal ticket" is childish thinking and could only be the thought process of a man who does not have kids, or worse yet does not love his kids, and is therefore not an actual provider. It's placing material desires above familial, social and existential priorities.
In my minds eye I had a white picket fence , a rainbow and almost had some butterflies while reading this.
Real world isn't like that. There are people having as many kids with as many different partners they can to get gov't cheques and support payments from as many payers as they can....and manhood (in Canada anyway) is about realizing we are not equal in that arena and to avoid those situations because it-'the system' isn't going to work out your favour. Some streets are one way only. Just being a realist here, thats all.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.

Return to “Social Concerns”