Cons and libertarians, riddle me this

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
BenRutgers
Fledgling

Cons and libertarians, riddle me this

Post by BenRutgers »

To all cons and libertarians I have a question about how I fit into your world view. I am an otherwise healthy male that has bipolar 2 and it prevents me from working 80% of the time. I have sought all sorts of treatment and found the effects minimal. I feel that since I cannot work I am a burden to society. Why, in your world view, should I keep going and do I have any value as a person that cannot contribute
barianqueen
Banned

Re: Cons and libertarians, riddle me this

Post by barianqueen »

How is this a riddle? Work your 20% and don’t worry about it.
BenRutgers
Fledgling

Post by BenRutgers »

In what world does working 1 day a week pay the bills?
barianqueen
Banned

Post by barianqueen »

2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

BenRutgers wrote: Jun 15th, 2021, 10:19 am In what world does working 1 day a week pay the bills?

I think it would stand to reason that if you are diagnosed, and it is determined that you can only put in 20%, that there are resources available.
Be it long term or short term disability.

I have a friend who is going thru something similar, and is currently on short term.
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
BenRutgers
Fledgling

Post by BenRutgers »

Been on short term twice and long once. Moved recently to be closer to supports but I don't qualify for those benefits in my new job. long term is not actually a long term solution. As a society we don't exactly just hand out money to people that can't produce. I feel like I have 0 value
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

BenRutgers wrote: Jun 15th, 2021, 10:42 am Been on short term twice and long once. Moved recently to be closer to supports but I don't qualify for those benefits in my new job.
That is unfortunate. Good to hear that you have moved closer to supports, whether family or otherwise.
My friend has been on-and-off short term for the last few years, whilst trying to get a handle on medications, and find a balance. (if there is such a thing...)

Good luck.
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

BenRutgers wrote: Jun 15th, 2021, 10:42 am Been on short term twice and long once. Moved recently to be closer to supports but I don't qualify for those benefits in my new job. long term is not actually a long term solution. As a society we don't exactly just hand out money to people that can't produce. I feel like I have 0 value
Anyone that is TRYING has value. The more you try, the more value you have.

You just haven't found the right path yet.

Don't overthink the problem, just keep trying.
Bring back the LIKE button.
spooker

Post by spooker »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 15th, 2021, 11:26 am
BenRutgers wrote: Jun 15th, 2021, 10:42 am Been on short term twice and long once. Moved recently to be closer to supports but I don't qualify for those benefits in my new job. long term is not actually a long term solution. As a society we don't exactly just hand out money to people that can't produce. I feel like I have 0 value
Anyone that is TRYING has value. The more you try, the more value you have.

You just haven't found the right path yet.

Don't overthink the problem, just keep trying.
This is a good response that I fully support ...
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

BenRutgers wrote: Jun 15th, 2021, 8:38 am To all cons and libertarians I have a question about how I fit into your world view. I am an otherwise healthy male that has bipolar 2 and it prevents me from working 80% of the time. I have sought all sorts of treatment and found the effects minimal. I feel that since I cannot work I am a burden to society. Why, in your world view, should I keep going and do I have any value as a person that cannot contribute
I'm sorry to hear. A bipolar condition is challenging.

I'm not quite sure what role politics would have to play in your well-being. In a free country and market we carve out our own future as best we can. We cheer on our neighbors and don't look down on anyone whether they do better or worse. All Canadians agree that a social net should be available to help those who need it. Most people do not look down on those who need help.

Feelings just react to what you think. No one considers you a burden as Canadians are more than willing to help despite any political leaning. So many things are distractions to your goals. Don't worry about what others might think as you could probably be wrong about it. Put careful thought in to your future and how you want to live it and those in your life will help you get there. There's no rush so don't feel pressured. Set small goals for yourself and try to conquer the beast in your path and you may discover new talents along the way.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

If your mental illness had led you to homelessness, addiction, and antisocial behaviour, the same people making supportive comments would advocate somewhere between permanent incarceration and death. So it's good that you (presumably) haven't fallen that far down the social ladder.

People will generally function at the highest level they can, whether that equals great personal and professional success, or wandering the streets screaming at the voices in their head.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
jcdenton
Übergod

Post by jcdenton »

BenRutgers wrote: Jun 15th, 2021, 8:38 am To all cons and libertarians I have a question about how I fit into your world view. I am an otherwise healthy male that has bipolar 2 and it prevents me from working 80% of the time. I have sought all sorts of treatment and found the effects minimal. I feel that since I cannot work I am a burden to society. Why, in your world view, should I keep going and do I have any value as a person that cannot contribute
Why do you think that working is the only way people contribute? No libertarians or conservative I've ever heard of looks down on people who can't work full time hours. " I feel that since I cannot work I am a burden to society", well that is your viewpoint, not others. Do your best, that's all anyone of us can do

Return to “Social Concerns”