What Should We Do About World Population

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

What Should We Do About World Population

Nothing
23%
Nothing because I don’t believe it’s a problem
33%
Nothing and I have a suggestion below
No votes
Something but I don’t know what to do
13%
Something and I have a suggestion below
30%

Total votes: 30

MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What Should We Do About World Population

Post by MAPearce »

Get a Covid vax..

problem solved .. But you're going to have to wait for it ...
I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

Self removed.
Last edited by Septuagenarian on Sep 4th, 2021, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

let things like covid run wild and kill about 3 billion people.
birdsandbeetles

Post by birdsandbeetles »

A three child limit. Nobody needs 19 kids.
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

Self removed.
Last edited by Septuagenarian on Sep 5th, 2021, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 2nd, 2021, 4:51 am Here's what Finnish ecologist, Pentti Linkola, had to say about limiting human procreation back in 1999.

This was translated to English so I've added a few notes.
The truly wretched welfare extra (weight) that is now prevalent, is (should be) deducted (reduced) from the people's body size by regulating, controlling and norming the nutrition and vitamin- and hormonal levels of (in) adolescents. A realistic, easily reachable drop in the average height may be (could be) twenty centimeters and the drop in mean weight twenty kilos, respectively. This is a very important and remarkable (achievable) - and the most humane of all possible ones (options) at the same time - thinning action of the population load (weight) and consumption burden. (Pg 182 - 183)
Now I see why you mentioned genetic engineering in that other thread that you recently posted in (What we can expect in the third millennium). So Mr. Linkola wants us to be short and skinny? We once were, but experts say that nutrition and medicine made us taller and hardier. Then yummy, adulterated food came along and, well... taller, girthier, sicker. *sigh*

I imagine he was keen on The Chrysalids. Should we kill everyone who has a birth defect (deviation), either perceived or real?

How much of an impact would that have on the population, if everyone with so much as a birthmark became food for wildlife?
~
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

Removed

I don't think Pentti had that in mind, or he would have had it because if you read the rest of his essays you may see that he was trying to be seriously practical (a dour Finn) but I think what you are suggesting might be pretty effective [icon_lol2.gif]

And I mentioned genetic engineering in the other thread because that's what the character Crake did in Margaret Atwood's, MaddAddam trilogy to create a new and 'appropriately adapted humanoid species to survive us after he flooded our :cuss: up planet with a deadly virus of his creation. So Ms. Atwood might be keen on the premise of The Chrysalids.
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 2nd, 2021, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal. Stop it.
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 2nd, 2021, 12:15 pm
Removed

I don't think Pentti had that in mind, or he would have had it because if you read the rest of his essays you may see that he was trying to be seriously practical (a dour Finn) but I think what you are suggesting might be pretty effective [icon_lol2.gif]

And I mentioned genetic engineering in the other thread because that's what the character Crake did in Margaret Atwood's, MaddAddam trilogy to create a new and 'appropriately adapted humanoid species to survive us after he flooded our :cuss: up planet with a deadly virus of his creation. So Ms. Atwood might be keen on the premise of The Chrysalids.
Okay, some questions...

1.) I wouldn't say I was suggesting that we should follow what was done in The Chrysalids. Yikes!
b.) How tall was Mr. Linkola himself, that he would advocate for only 'short' people to inhabit this planet?
iii.) Was this Crake character of Chinese descent? If so, props to Ms. Atwood (she's obviously clairvoyant to some extent).

Don't answer that last question.

I wish I had the time, or maybe just the inclination, to read as much as you seem to, but I'm the slowest reader.
~
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

Self removed.
nepal
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nepal »

DEGROWTH, is possibly an objective for society to embrace.
Unbridled population growth is the #1 issue the world faces.
Too many people on the ant pile.
Start by just replacing yourself, no more.
It takes 8-ha/yr to sustain just one Canadian.

The former pristine Okanagan Valley, is being paved-over and filled with people and cars, as is the planet.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/degrow ... -paradigm/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nepal on Sep 10th, 2021, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Late to this discussion so apologize if I repeat sentiments in prior posts.

A good start to tackling overpopulation is to stop incentivizing it. Unbridled foreign aid in combination with outdated and abused asylum rules have acted as incentives to the corrupt who benefit from the status quo. It has created dependancies that are counterproductive to progress in the countries it's trying to help. Food, clothing, etc aid and aid related infrastructures steamrole local businesses and supply chains increasing dependance and decreasing the ability for the local population to generate income. In these poor countries where the men possess little in assets, women and children become the asset. Eventually some geopolitical or climate problem arises and asylum rules force countries to open their borders, reduce the population in the 3rd world country again only so they can start disastrous loop all over again.

Not saying all aid is bad but it can be misdirected, corrupted and hurt the country it's intending to assist. One form of aid that does work to create dependence and lower population is financial assistance to the women. This has been proven time and time again to lift communities out of poverty and reduce birth rates. To me this is the difference between providing a fish or the means to fish as aid, both demonstrate good intentions but only one incentivizes family planning.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

Canadian birth rates have been consistently dropping over the years. That's why immigration is high. We need to increase our tax base in order to 'keep up' with other countries re economic growth, etc.

In short, even though Canadians are combatting world over-population, it means nothing unless other countries do the same.
~

Return to “Social Concerns”