Not enough staff at Interior Health!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Not enough staff at Interior Health!

Post by Bsuds »

We are the first contact for an elderly man (91) who has home care from IH.

In the last 2-3 weeks we have had at least 5 calls that they do not have anyone available to see him.

He is scheduled to have someone see him twice a day. For this to happen especially during the heat wave we just went through is unacceptable and worrisome!

Anyone else having problems with coverage from IH homecare?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Not enough staff at Interior Health!

Post by Bsuds »

I talked with his Health Care Nurse this morning and she stated that they have lost 50% of their staff and are having trouble filling the positions.

That's sad and something needs to change.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Need more front end staff... time to let go of the over abundance of administration.
Come on Supreme Court of Canada step up and do Your Job.

"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
PoplarSoul
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by PoplarSoul »

Why do you think they are short of staff?
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
strongarm242

Post by strongarm242 »

IH has enough staff, too much in fact, the only problem is most of this staff is middle to upper management on the administrative side. IH has got to be one of the most over-bloated and top-heavy organizations out there. Sometimes I think they have so much middle to upper management no one really knows who is responsible for what and the buck keeps being passed around in a never-ending mess of bureaucracy.

They definitely need more qualified staff for seniors at care homes. If anything COVID put a spotlight on how bad things really are in care homes. Something the rest of us already knew if you've ever had a family member or friend in one of these hell holes. Unfortunately I think the situation will only be getting much worse over the next 10 years as the baby boomers need care. Hopefully we can fix the problems or offer better homecare solutions so you don't have to spend the last years of your life in one of these places.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Wait, IH visits people twice a day at home?

No wonder their staff is busy ...
gertlush

Post by gertlush »

Its a crap job and pays poorly, like low 20s/hr.
BC Landlord
Übergod

Post by BC Landlord »

gertlush wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 3:24 pm Its a crap job and pays poorly, like low 20s/hr.
It's actually a living example of what would Universal Basic Income (the UBI) bring to our society.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

strongarm242 wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 2:07 pm IH has enough staff, too much in fact, the only problem is most of this staff is middle to upper management on the administrative side. IH has got to be one of the most over-bloated and top-heavy organizations out there. Sometimes I think they have so much middle to upper management no one really knows who is responsible for what and the buck keeps being passed around in a never-ending mess of bureaucracy.

They definitely need more qualified staff for seniors at care homes. If anything COVID put a spotlight on how bad things really are in care homes. Something the rest of us already knew if you've ever had a family member or friend in one of these hell holes. Unfortunately I think the situation will only be getting much worse over the next 10 years as the baby boomers need care. Hopefully we can fix the problems or offer better homecare solutions so you don't have to spend the last years of your life in one of these places.
Exactly... it’s well past the time to do some serious fat trimming, start with administrators.
Come on Supreme Court of Canada step up and do Your Job.

"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 9:14 am We are the first contact for an elderly man (91) who has home care from IH.

In the last 2-3 weeks we have had at least 5 calls that they do not have anyone available to see him.

He is scheduled to have someone see him twice a day. For this to happen especially during the heat wave we just went through is unacceptable and worrisome!

Anyone else having problems with coverage from IH homecare?
Friend's 100-year-old mother (101 in September) is scheduled for 2 daily home care visits but it's a crapshoot if they show up or not. She has a couple that show up faithfully every day, then there are the ones who are a no-show and don't bother phoning.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

gertlush wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 3:24 pm Its a crap job and pays poorly, like low 20s/hr.
Wonder how many staff members needed to visit all their patients twice a day.

Are those seniors who can't take care of themselves and no kids/relatives/friends/everybody hates them?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

PoplarSoul wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 11:18 am Why do you think they are short of staff?
I was told by the Health Care Nurse that is assigned to him that they have lost 50% of their home care workers.

These are not Nurses, these are workers who go in and help people as needed. Make sure they take their meds, help with getting dressed, give showers etc. As someone said it's probably a low paying job but it's still a job.
PoplarSoul
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by PoplarSoul »

Care aides?
I find this very odd.
If you don't show up not only you don't get paid for that day but you would lose your job altogether, no?
Not being reliable and all.
Are they afraid of Covid?
Either give it to the elderly or getting it from them somehow.
So strange.
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

I have heard on a few occasions thst programs for things like care aid, nursing, and a number of others have their graduation rates artificially controlled.
I may be remembering incorrectly but if true this would be exacerbating the issue.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

strongarm242 wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 2:07 pm IH has enough staff, too much in fact, the only problem is most of this staff is middle to upper management on the administrative side. IH has got to be one of the most over-bloated and top-heavy organizations out there. Sometimes I think they have so much middle to upper management no one really knows who is responsible for what and the buck keeps being passed around in a never-ending mess of bureaucracy.

GordonH wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 3:47 pm Exactly... it’s well past the time to do some serious fat trimming, start with administrators.
I'm curious as to how you've come to these conclusions.

How many staff are in middle to upper management positions? How does that compare to similar organizations? And what is an appropriate ratio of mid/upper management to employees?

I'll be honest - I've heard similar claims from others. None have been able to answer the basic questions above. It quickly identifies uninformed speculation vs a credible claim. Which is too bad as I'd love to have an informed debate on this topic.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Jul 20th, 2021, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Social Concerns”