Not enough staff at Interior Health!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Not enough staff at Interior Health!

Post by Queen K »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 28th, 2021, 1:52 am My wife is in care with IH. The IH has gone to an online scheduling system. Which is fine. But many aides would pick up extra shifts having an ability to know beforehand where they could go. This new system isnt popular because the system can schedule you anywhere in the zone. And you have to roll the dice.

I think that IH has to be sensible and hire more aides. Otherwise more aides will leave needed contract line positions. And either go casual (controlling their schedule) putting in for where and what they want. There have even been a slew that have quit recently and went to private positions where they know day in and day out where they will be working. Or left the job all together. It is a thankless job and has a toll on their bodies. There are times when there will be "lifts" that require 2 people and they are on their own. This lack of regard for worker health doesn't lift morale. It buries it.

Hopefully IH wakes up and stops trying to do more with less. Then they may have workers that wont feel burned out.
They do. They have. What they need to do is make community care more attractive for new hires to stay. For some reason the job called "Community Health Worker" is a niche job. One that has to take hold of the new hire, show them how they are really needed and appreciated when they go from home to home to home to home to home to home to home to home to home to home to home to home to home til their last home in their shift. Reading HARPs. Navigating sudden changes, and by sudden, I mean SUDDEN. The new hires have to LOVE change. Change is their life now. Change is nothing with community care and community care is nothing without changes. If you can't tolerate sudden changes and events, community care is not for you. And new hires who can learn the mechanics of reading careplans, following policies, setting boundaries and keeping them, and thrive in change will do well. And like some who are in the job for well over three years, because by then you can't go back to boring, they will not want to go to predictable. it's the very nature of unpredictable that keeps the old hires in place. Besides pensions.

So what happens why new hires can't. Just can't stand the real community world of changes? They quit. Before they have too much of their lives invested. And that's what IH is up against, people who have no skin in the game, who don't like changes, see no predictability, and are offered jobs in places with predictability. Or stability. One or other, they're gone. "Where are all the new hires, the ones who should be taking all the shift offers instead of day workers taking all the evening shifts to ensure clients even get services?" Where they are is other jobs. Because they had to supplement their part time jobs and because they just can't stand the unpredictable nature of community care.
July 15th was the BEST for Kelowna news in a long time. Counting down thirty days from the 15th.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

NunkRnum1 wrote, "I am going to pretend I didnt see that BC Liberal propaganda and start from there. Yes IH does indeed use shenanigans with .69 of full time schedules. Making much of the staff part time. And yes - many pick up shifts to supplement. The problem was that my wife would work from 7am until 10pm when she did so to still have her days off. But only if she got the shift she wanted and where she wanted. Now with the automated system - you say yes to a shift and can be sent to the ends of the earth. As such aides are not taking shifts. All we hear all day and night is incessant bell sounding notifications on the IH phone because the shifts are ignored. Cest la vie. My wife bid on a full time position - and her seniority got her that position. Because she worked hard and got more hours than many others. So now she doesnt have to worry. But moving to that position may cause a deficit where she was before.
[/quote]

There are positive signs in this regard.

:135: You know there is a way to turn this off, right? Uncheck notifications on all three of them. Scroll down a bit and hit "Save." And Not all the shifts are being ignored. A great many of them can't be responded to because of the way shifts are set up. If a worker is ending their shift at say 3:30 pm, there is no way to pick up a shift that starts at 2 or 3 pm. I suspect to you I'm preaching to the choir, so my last sentence is for those who don't know how it works.
July 15th was the BEST for Kelowna news in a long time. Counting down thirty days from the 15th.
nucksRnum1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Also heard that casuals dont have to give availability under new system. So casuals can take summer off and take a shift whenever they feel like it. Nice Gig!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I wish I was that rich. :up:

Return to “Social Concerns”