Back Country Ban

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Back Country Ban

Post by OKkayak »

Catri wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 12:22 pm
Clearly you have no idea what it's like when a wildfire comes through. Defending your home is impossible.
Doesn't matter - its your responsibility. Don't be taken away his "rights" and "dignity" now [icon_lol2.gif]
heydaveking

Post by heydaveking »

Fancy wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 6:50 pm
roseridge wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 6:38 pm How about ban the sale of smoking materials when the fire risk is extreme - sounds just as heavy handed. Not everyone who goes in the backcountry partakes in high risk activities - such as hikers, mountain bikers, etc.
Yet a mountain bike pedal hitting a rock has been a cause of a forest fire.
That is complete nonsense.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

heydaveking wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 3:57 pm That is complete nonsense.
By all means contact the officials and explain why it's nonsense. Sparks can come from horses feet as well so just be aware of how dry it is out there.
U.S. Forest Service investigators say a bicycle pedal that scraped a rock and shot sparks on a mountain bike trail was responsible for a 122-acre blaze in the eastern Sierra this month, a finding that unleashed a firestorm of incredulity on the Internet.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 191510.php
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

^^^And even as hot and dry as it is, getting a friction fire going the old school way would probably take me hours- if ever. I've been able to get a friction fire going- once. Doesn't say much about my survival skills. [icon_lol2.gif]
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

When it comes to motorsports - just wanted to share my experiences.

I've been an avid outdoor motorsports enthusiast for over 25 years. I've explored 10's of thousands kilometers of backwoods roads, trails, etc in 4x4 trucks, ATV's, UTV, and Dirt bikes. Everything from slow moving family and kid friendly rides, to hardcore "1/2 the machines are broken and multiple people need medical attention" I've been a member of numerous clubs of like minded individuals, and have often rode in large groups. Every terrain, every condition, every time of year... you guys get the point. The only thing I haven't done a lot of is snowmobiling (tho have hundreds of hours of time on an ATV with snow tracks).

Anyway - I've spent a lot in my time in the bush surrounded by this type of activity. I've seen a lot and have a lot of scary or interesting stories, but one thing I've never seen is a machine start a fire. Nor can I recall an instance where I felt "that could have caused a fire" except for ONE TIME. That time being over 20 years ago with a 4x4 truck that burnt up it's transmission and started a minor engine fire. Same thing that happens driving on the pavement. It was noticed quickly and easily dealt with by dumping a bottle of water on it. I wish I could say the same for the rider's activities - I have seen campfires, fireworks, cigarettes, and firearms used in an unsafe way that easily could have (or did) start an uncontrolled fire. Way too often to count/remember.

The point being - the focus on the machines and the process of riding the machines I believe is misplaced and unwarranted. It's not the machines or the process of riding that starts fires. It's what stupid humans do while they're up in the bush performing those activities. It's what they do when they stop for lunch that's the problem. And like everything, a few bad apples spoil it for the bunch. Most are great and make wise decisions especially during a fire season like this. Self policing within a group (or policing by others) is common when fire risks are extreme. But there will always those few - Typically young "invincible" types that don't have the life experience to realize that campfires can get away from the best of us - not just dumb people.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This is an old account but noteworthy:
https://wildfire.fpinnovations.ca/39/AD-3-44.pdf
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

When was the last time anyone has seen a steel mountain bike pedal. Aluminum doesn't spark , mountain biker lies because it was his joint that lit it more likely .
Always smell it first
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 3:28 am
KiloHotel wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Defend your home, get home insurance, get a rooftop sprinkler. Don't make your responsibilities, mine.
"Rooftop sprinklers void home insurance. The damage is caused by the home owner not the fire. Better off to let it burn. And to all those out in the back country, bring a shovel and a fire extinguisher. If you can't be bothered you don't belong out there.
how do you know it voids insurance?
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

squash junky wrote: Aug 2nd, 2021, 9:57 am

"Rooftop sprinklers void home insurance. The damage is caused by the home owner not the fire. Better off to let it burn. And to all those out in the back country, bring a shovel and a fire extinguisher. If you can't be bothered you don't belong out there.
Check your policy and make a call to your agent. A couple of sprinklers fed off 1/2" water lines will do nothing if a blaze comes roaring through. The fire gods will get a chuckle from the futile attempt though.
I birn quil I se
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Then why is Logan Lake doing this?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... sprinklers

It might be void for water damage but I don't think they would be void for fire damage if it saves homes.
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

Randall T wrote: Aug 2nd, 2021, 4:41 pm
squash junky wrote: Aug 2nd, 2021, 9:57 am

Check your policy and make a call to your agent. A couple of sprinklers fed off 1/2" water lines will do nothing if a blaze comes roaring through. The fire gods will get a chuckle from the futile attempt though.
That answer does not make sense. please clarify.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Fancy wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 6:50 pm
roseridge wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 6:38 pm How about ban the sale of smoking materials when the fire risk is extreme - sounds just as heavy handed. Not everyone who goes in the backcountry partakes in high risk activities - such as hikers, mountain bikers, etc.
Yet a mountain bike pedal hitting a rock has been a cause of a forest fire.
Was this actually proven?
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

squash junky wrote: Aug 2nd, 2021, 6:33 pm
Randall T wrote: Aug 2nd, 2021, 4:41 pm

That answer does not make sense. please clarify.
Uh, your particular policy, or underwriter, may not cover your action and besides, the heat from an intense blaze will melt your hoses and vapourize the little bit of water coming out at 65 psi. If there are firefighters in your area using the mains, the pressure to your house will drop significantly. Cedar shake roof, right?
I birn quil I se
Boosted632
Übergod

Post by Boosted632 »

Putting sprinklers on your roof doesnt void anything. I did it in 03 at my insurance companys request, it will save your home despite what the uneducated on here keep spouting off. At that time we had large burning embers and sticks landing everywhere and thats what usually starts the houses up. Saying a sprinkler on the roof will void your insurance is like them telling you if it rains for more than a week straight you're not covered lol.
Last edited by Boosted632 on Aug 4th, 2021, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

And I know a couple that yes their house survived but the water damage was significant. Insurance would not cover it because it was their actions and not the fire that caused the damage.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.

Return to “Social Concerns”