Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Re: Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Post by GordonH »

I’ve noticed the Tim’s on corner of Harvey & Cooper been closed for months now. At one time fast food joints were pretty sure winner, now nothing a sure winner.

Hospitality industry is crumbling down.
Come on Supreme Court of Canada step up and do Your Job.

"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

My Mother cooked in restaurants in Vancouver for about 30 years and my Sister also worked as a waitress and I had friends who owned some of them and I spent most of my life eating and going to them.

So let me explain like I did earlier that these places work on a low income style of doing business and unless the sell liquor which makes them more money than the food does they have a difficult time surviving. Then add in ALL of the other taxes, rent, light, power, new menu prices, damage caused by some patrons, advertising, food price increases on new orders, minimum wage increases, staff holiday pay, special cash registers so that taxes are recorded and cannot be avoided by not paying, and now finally the very last and very punishing Germ Warfare Virus and the Germ Warfare Virus Vaccine thing and guess what is going to happen to most of them.

You are right on if you say they are in for bad times.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

And to add more to these misfortunes it is not just restaurants that are going to go broke so just keep your eyes on the bouncing balls.
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

In Kamloops for a visit this weekend and asked my pal (playing chauffeur) to drive through old haunts to admire the plantings the City put in down in Riverside City Park

My surprise was seeing Starbucks where the A&W used to be.

Yikes. What a change.

Didn’t feel obliged to alight from vehicle to swill overpriced coffee.
“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” - Mark Twain

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Edward Abbey
nucksRnum1
Übergod

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 4:22 pm I’ve noticed the Tim’s on corner of Harvey & Cooper been closed for months now. At one time fast food joints were pretty sure winner, now nothing a sure winner.

That's because franchise joints and tourism employers are the biggest predators of low-wage suckers. And everyone knows it now.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:30 pm
GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 4:22 pm I’ve noticed the Tim’s on corner of Harvey & Cooper been closed for months now. At one time fast food joints were pretty sure winner, now nothing a sure winner.

That's because franchise joints and tourism employers are the biggest predators of low-wage suckers. And everyone knows it now.
Then I guess customers will need to dig much deeper into their wallets to pay for these services. Good luck with that.
Come on Supreme Court of Canada step up and do Your Job.

"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
nucksRnum1
Übergod

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:46 pmThen I guess customers will need to dig much deeper into their wallets to pay for these services. Good luck with that.
Your last comment says a lot about why our present system isn't market capitalism. Wages and prices should go up hand in hand. Supply and demand. Instead, we have a system that keeps certain things artificially low.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:46 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:30 pm

Then I guess customers will need to dig much deeper into their wallets to pay for these services. Good luck with that.
Up until recently, we understood fast food places like A&W and McDonalds provided terrific opportunities for teens to get work experience and earn their own spending money, and for patrons to get a quick and relatively inexpensive meal.

Today, we are expected to believe the people working in them are all parents with household expenses and rent or mortgages to pay.
nucksRnum1
Übergod

Post by nucksRnum1 »

rustled wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 7:42 amUp until recently, we understood fast food places like A&W and McDonalds provided terrific opportunities for teens to get work experience and earn their own spending money, and for patrons to get a quick and relatively inexpensive meal.

Today, we are expected to believe the people working in them are all parents with household expenses and rent or mortgages to pay.
The fact that many freedom 55 and pensioners work in McDonald's - is based on obvious observation when in a Mcdonald's. If kids don't have to work - why would they? Today youth/young adults want better jobs than franchise operations. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 9:43 am The fact that many freedom 55 and pensioners work in McDonald's - is based on obvious observation when in a Mcdonald's. If kids don't have to work - why would they?
Why would they? Is it all about the benjamins for you? Seriously?
Today youth/young adults want better jobs than franchise operations. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Yeah, actually there is something wrong with that. Paying one's dues is a good thing. For a number of reasons.
~
foenix
Lord of the Board

Post by foenix »

Screenshot_20210913-111343_WhatsApp.jpg
:200:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

They actually specifically put on it that sign F/T shifts available too.

Let's go, Millenials! There's your chance!
nucksRnum1
Übergod

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Rejigger wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 11:00 amYeah, actually there is something wrong with that. Paying one's dues is a good thing. For a number of reasons. ~
Perfect. If paying one's dues is paramount - then they should all be union sites as well. Because seniority and working your way up to the top is important.
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by AlienSoldier »

There is a huge and growing labour pool of retirees for restaurants. Why not just cut the benefits to them and then viola! So many 55 and over people will be looking to work. Since we all think that previous generations were less lazy, much more dedicated then it would help eliminate those complaints as well.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

May the 'Old boys'/sunshine tax club of Kelowna fall.....and may it fall hard.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.

Return to “Social Concerns”