Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Re: Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Post by GordonH »

Come on Supreme Court of Canada step up and do Your Job.

"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

kgcayenne wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 4:07 pm I’m curious if anyone else thinks that perhaps a whack of people retired due to the pandemic and there has been a leveling-up of sorts in the workforce. The largest generation in modern history is getting set to retire. Market forces, baby, market forces.
I wondered about that, and it does appear as though the pandemic has caused a spike in retirement, both voluntary and otherwise. We're about in the middle of the twenty year window that will see baby boomers reach retirement age, but figures are showing a lot more actually retiring in the last year compared to the years preceding the pandemic. Some have been working past retirement but not a huge number. I had planned to retire in early 2021 when I hit 65, but had my hours cut when the pandemic hit. I stayed on an extra four months to hit the financial targets I had planned on hitting by retirement , but that's not a big deal. I can pretty much say that the pandemic didn't affect my retirement plans by much. What concerns me is that we have known that the "gray wave" has been coming for years, but not a whole lot of prep went into it. Some of the workforce shortages we are having now must be due to aging boomers, and the load on the healthcare system will continue to climb.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Community Health Care workers who started years ago are now retiring due to age and unpalatable system changes.

These are the people who ensure the pressures on carehomes are alleviated. But guess what? Like restaurants, young people in the medical side of work have other choices, many more in fact than when I started 30 years ago.

Simply put, more carehomes have opened providing a steady way to make a living without putting mileage on your vehicle. Guess where careaids today are chosing to make a living? Not homecare. We are experiencing the greatest worker shortage I have ever seen and that is saying something after 30 years.

UNLIKE a restaurant worker, a CHW has a capacity to clear an awful lot of money per month for the work that it is. Not quite nursing, not at all housework. More like people work. But like restaurants, IH can not get enough care aids to be hired and stay. STAY! Nope, they work for a while and move on, some take lines of work but have to supplement that with other jobs, thus are not available for the unending openings per day to be filled.

So grey wave, not enough at home assistance, pressures on actual assisted living residences, NOT TO BE confused with resort retirement places, they are not carehomes people!

So ya, restaurants aren't the only place desparate for workers.
July 15th was the BEST for Kelowna news in a long time. Counting down thirty days from the 15th.
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by AlienSoldier »

Queen K wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 9:37 am Community Health Care workers who started years ago are now retiring due to age and unpalatable system changes.

These are the people who ensure the pressures on carehomes are alleviated. But guess what? Like restaurants, young people in the medical side of work have other choices, many more in fact than when I started 30 years ago.

Simply put, more carehomes have opened providing a steady way to make a living without putting mileage on your vehicle. Guess where careaids today are chosing to make a living? Not homecare. We are experiencing the greatest worker shortage I have ever seen and that is saying something after 30 years.

UNLIKE a restaurant worker, a CHW has a capacity to clear an awful lot of money per month for the work that it is. Not quite nursing, not at all housework. More like people work. But like restaurants, IH can not get enough care aids to be hired and stay. STAY! Nope, they work for a while and move on, some take lines of work but have to supplement that with other jobs, thus are not available for the unending openings per day to be filled.

So grey wave, not enough at home assistance, pressures on actual assisted living residences, NOT TO BE confused with resort retirement places, they are not carehomes people!

So ya, restaurants aren't the only place desparate for workers.
It's every field. Doctors, Engineers, Nurses, Restaurants, manufacturing that is feeling the pinch. I have seen half of one of my departments retire or start to retire. Companies will compete for talent, or get what's left over. No sense in complaining and pitting millennials vs. boomers, vs. Gen Z. As society has changed, priorities have changed and so has awareness of what people want in life.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 11:57 am priorities have changed and so has awareness of what people want in life.
So, people no longer want to sell themselves out to the low-skilled employers when there are many jobs out there to secure that bear rewards of contribution towards something beyond Karen and Chad’s vay-cay dinners out.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I am stating facts, not word about any generation pitting in my post. There are not enough workers: period.
July 15th was the BEST for Kelowna news in a long time. Counting down thirty days from the 15th.
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by AlienSoldier »

Queen K wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 8:24 pm I am stating facts, not word about any generation pitting in my post. There are not enough workers: period.
Are there not enough workers, or to many jobs? lol [icon_lol2.gif]
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

AlienSoldier wrote:
Queen K wrote: I am stating facts, not word about any generation pitting in my post. There are not enough workers: period.
Are there not enough workers, or to many jobs? [icon_lol2.gif]
Both, I suspect. What should be annoying, as many others have pointed out, is that we knew this demographic change was coming years ago. COVID has obviously played a role as well, but these demographic changes were already well underway. Canada needs more immigrants, and we need to start educating (removing barriers to post-secondary education) and training (eg. funded apprenticeships) people to fill these jobs and both business and government (us) need to play a role.
When I retire I want to be careful not to play too much golf. Two rounds a day should be plenty.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

"Too many jobs."

Where there is a mall and or a franchise, there is a job. Think about it. Put a mall or a store anywhere, and boom, jobs.

The spread out, chopping down every forest, plowing over every field, filling in every available area with a developers dream of making it big in retail leases and triple net, comes with having to fill jobs. Add a Starbux and there ya go, supplies/jobs/managers/security. Too many jobs with the changing demographics.

BC Govt has removed the tuition barrier from being a care aid. Program in place. I know someone's daughter who is signed up.

But the restaurant biz should be filled with teenagers like I was back in 1981, doing my first job being a kitchen dishwasher/sous chef, anything they threw at me.
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by AlienSoldier »

Queen K wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 8:02 am "Too many jobs."

Where there is a mall and or a franchise, there is a job. Think about it. Put a mall or a store anywhere, and boom, jobs.

The spread out, chopping down every forest, plowing over every field, filling in every available area with a developers dream of making it big in retail leases and triple net, comes with having to fill jobs. Add a Starbux and there ya go, supplies/jobs/managers/security. Too many jobs with the changing demographics.

BC Govt has removed the tuition barrier from being a care aid. Program in place. I know someone's daughter who is signed up.

But the restaurant biz should be filled with teenagers like I was back in 1981, doing my first job being a kitchen dishwasher/sous chef, anything they threw at me.
Yes, but there are opportunities now that people did not have back in in the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's. Kids can start online stores, sell space on Instagram, make websites/blogs and publish items. If not that, Amazon is hiring 15,000 warehouse workers at $20+. That is the competition for you are working with now. The new generation is full of energy, idea's and great opportunities, just like the past. It's the opportunities that have changed.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Love it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 9:24 am Yes, but there are opportunities now that people did not have back in in the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's. Kids can start online stores, sell space on Instagram, make websites/blogs and publish items. If not that, Amazon is hiring 15,000 warehouse workers at $20+. That is the competition for you are working with now. The new generation is full of energy, idea's and great opportunities, just like the past. It's the opportunities that have changed.
Tell them to call me....I'm stuck in my decadent time holding a vast amount of pent up info.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
cr125
Fledgling

Post by cr125 »

We better watch it, I watched a program a couple of weeks ago where they are developing some very realistic robots to do service jobs. ie: nurses servers, attendants etc, etc, but i guess we all know one day that's coming. :smt045
(sorry, no, i have no link)

It would be funny to watch some of the Anti this, and Anti that, people yelling and loosing it on an android [icon_lol2.gif]
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

cr125 wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 10:26 am We better watch it, I watched a program a couple of weeks ago where they are developing some very realistic robots to do service jobs. ie: nurses servers, attendants etc, etc, but i guess we all know one day that's coming. :smt045
Personally, I would be nervous if robots were doing prostate checks.

But I guess it's coming...
cr125
Fledgling

Post by cr125 »

Even Steven wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 10:31 am
cr125 wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 10:26 am We better watch it, I watched a program a couple of weeks ago where they are developing some very realistic robots to do service jobs. ie: nurses servers, attendants etc, etc, but i guess we all know one day that's coming. :smt045
Personally, I would be nervous if robots were doing prostate checks.

But I guess it's coming...
Hey, there was some pretty good looking android nurses, :up:

Return to “Social Concerns”