Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Post by AlienSoldier »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 9:53 am
AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 9:24 am Yes, but there are opportunities now that people did not have back in in the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's. Kids can start online stores, sell space on Instagram, make websites/blogs and publish items. If not that, Amazon is hiring 15,000 warehouse workers at $20+. That is the competition for you are working with now. The new generation is full of energy, idea's and great opportunities, just like the past. It's the opportunities that have changed.
Tell them to call me....I'm stuck in my decadent time holding a vast amount of pent up info.
Trucking is another industry with lots of money and a labour shortage. But slowly you are starting to see automation come in. More automatic trucks. Trucks which can run autonomously on highways (happening in the states).
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Bring back the LIKE button.
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

:-X Don't tip the robots!
When I retire I want to be careful not to play too much golf. Two rounds a day should be plenty.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 11:19 am with lots of money and a labour shortage.
If there were lots of money , there wouldn't be a labour shortage, would there?....There is no money in it-trust me. Edit added....If a person can handle 80 hour work weeks-then ya, as a company driver , you could make over 100K/yr. That 80 hour work week will cost 5 years of your life for every year put in at 80 hours week though.
Last edited by oldtrucker on Sep 17th, 2021, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 11:19 am More automatic trucks. Trucks which can run autonomously on highways (happening in the states).
It will be decades until AI can run in the conditions only a human can handle....not in my lifetime anyway.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.
cr125
Fledgling

Post by cr125 »

Yes, and they don't call in sick, no belly aching, they show up, no dental plan, no paid holidays, No Work Safe, The only bonus's they get is a quart of oil to lube the moving parts. I know it doesn't seem right, but we are headed there. :smt045
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

All true, AND

NO bitchen' complaining, stat holiday pay, OT, willing to work 24 hours a day, every day.

Why not? robots have been building our cars for years now, it is just a matter of time before they start picking or fruit and solve our farm worker shortage problem.

Bring back the LIKE button.
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by AlienSoldier »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 12:04 pm
AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 11:19 am with lots of money and a labour shortage.
If there were lots of money , there wouldn't be a labour shortage, would there?....There is no money in it-trust me. Edit added....If a person can handle 80 hour work weeks-then ya, as a company driver , you could make over 100K/yr. That 80 hour work week will cost 5 years of your life for every year put in at 80 hours week though.
My dads a trucker and so are many of his friends. The money in the business is good if you have the right contracts. The labour shortage isn't because people don't want to drive trucks. Its because it is hard work, still not seen by many as a respectable career (I beg to differ) and having to put up with bosses, dispatchers and customers who treat you like dirt.

The autonomous trucks I am talking about are already on the road https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless ... 021-08-15/. It will only continue from here.
nucksRnum1
Übergod

Post by nucksRnum1 »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 6:18 pm
oldtrucker wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 12:04 pm
My dads a trucker and so are many of his friends. The money in the business is good if you have the right contracts. The labour shortage isn't because people don't want to drive trucks. Its because it is hard work, still not seen by many as a respectable career (I beg to differ) and having to put up with bosses, dispatchers and customers who treat you like dirt.

The autonomous trucks I am talking about are already on the road https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless ... 021-08-15/. It will only continue from here.
I thought truck drivers were cool. But this was my introduction to truck drivers.

And this.....

And who could forget this......

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAG4XXCOj48&t=4s[/youtube]
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 6:18 pm My dads a trucker and so are many of his friends. The money in the business is good if you have the right contracts. The labour shortage isn't because people don't want to drive trucks. Its because it is hard work, still not seen by many as a respectable career (I beg to differ) and having to put up with bosses, dispatchers and customers who treat you like dirt.
This makes no sense. 'It isn't that people don't want to work, it's that the work is too hard'...?
People don't want to work because they think the work is 'too hard'?

What ever happened to the mentality that 'anything worth doing is worth doing right' and 'take pride in a job well done'. It's the younger generation who are prissies - "Oh, this job is too hard and people don't respect me." Who is not respecting these workers? It's not the older generation, it's the younger generation that isn't giving the respect. It's these young people's peers.

The younger generation doesn't want to pay their dues. They want new cars, perfect first homes. They want instagram perfection. Their egos write cheques that their bank accounts can't cash. They don't live in reality.

The younger generation is causing their own demise. But yeah, keep blaming the Boomers.
~
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

to add to that they all seem to suffer from ptsd and anxiety. when they still live at home with mommy and daddy , total :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

Rejigger wrote: Sep 18th, 2021, 11:18 am
AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 6:18 pm My dads a trucker and so are many of his friends. The money in the business is good if you have the right contracts. The labour shortage isn't because people don't want to drive trucks. Its because it is hard work, still not seen by many as a respectable career (I beg to differ) and having to put up with bosses, dispatchers and customers who treat you like dirt.
This makes no sense. 'It isn't that people don't want to work, it's that the work is too hard'...?

What ever happened to the mentality that 'anything worth doing is worth doing right' and 'take pride in a job well done'. It's the younger generation who are prissies - "Oh, this job is too hard and people don't respect me." Who is not respecting these workers? It's not the older generation, it's the younger generation that isn't giving the respect. It's these young people's peers.

The younger generation doesn't want to pay their dues. They want new cars, perfect first homes. They want instagram perfection. Their egos write cheques that their bank accounts can't cash. They don't live in reality.

The younger generation is causing their own demise. But yeah, keep blaming the Boomers.
~

Fred, Fred, FRED Wake Up!! Its Wilma...you fell asleep on the Dino-rock mover during lunch...have to go back to work now at the quarry yard.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by AlienSoldier »

Rejigger wrote: Sep 18th, 2021, 11:18 am

~
The younger generation was born and raised by someone. If you blame the young, you can look to their parents. No one is blaming boomers, or anyone so just relax. This generation has multiple ways of making money that other generations before never did. They can integrate, network and work with people from all over the world. Going into offices, or flying to another country to do audits or meetings is not necessary. If they can make the same working from home, or build their own little business than all the power to them.

Trucking is hardwork, especially in the winter. There is lots to know and small mistakes can cause people to lose their lives. The responsibility is very high and if someone knows they can't do it. I'd rather they not try to do it on our road, and do something else.
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 20th, 2021, 6:17 am The younger generation was born and raised by someone. If you blame the young, you can look to their parents.
I think we can mostly look to social media as the cause of the younger generation's quest for perfection. They've taken keeping up with the Jones' to the extreme. People are no longer looking to the neighbour as the Jones', instead they're looking to a wide circle of online acquaintances, and whomever, for their coveted lifestyle. Rather than stamping out classism, the younger generation has ramped it up.
~
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by AlienSoldier »

Rejigger wrote: Sep 20th, 2021, 9:48 am
AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 20th, 2021, 6:17 am The younger generation was born and raised by someone. If you blame the young, you can look to their parents.
I think we can mostly look to social media as the cause of the younger generation's quest for perfection. They've taken keeping up with the Jones' to the extreme. People are no longer looking to the neighbour as the Jones', instead they're looking to a wide circle of online acquaintances, and whomever, for their coveted lifestyle. Rather than stamping out classism, the younger generation has ramped it up.
~
Keeping up with the Jones was started by the boomer generation. Thus proving my point. Weather its their neighbor or further abroad. Advertisement and credit cards were created and perfected under the boomer generation. They have been further refined until the Mill's and Gen Z. So instead of pitting generations and lobbing the blame on each other, lets just agree that we have come to where we are due to a slow evolution over decades. No one generation bears the full blame, or is fully acquitted.

Return to “Social Concerns”