Posties Not Delivering Mail

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Posties Not Delivering Mail

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 4:49 pm
rustled wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 1:47 pmOur neighbourhood still gets door to door delivery, on foot. I'm not at all surprised that's cancelled on days like this, but I am surprised people with community mailboxes aren't being provided with service.
We have a walking letter carrier in our neighbourhood as well. I googled around a bit and found that it is not unusual for a letter carrier who works on foot to put on ten miles in a day. At work servicing rooms in camp we would regularly clock ten kilometers or better in a shift. The stop work thing started after Tuesday which was a very nasty day, and today is close to that level. It's pretty hard for me to come up with an argument as to why they should be working on a day like today. But you have a good point on the gang boxes, physical exertion is low as they are all vehicle serviced.
Yes, it seems extreme to expect anyone to walk a mail route in these conditions. The news said "Some residents in the Okanagan will not be receiving mail today", which isn't very specific, and other news stories linked to a Twitter post. Remember the olden days, when there would have been a press release?

Their website says:
Red alert: Communities and regions not receiving mail and parcels today.
Date posted: July 30, 2021
Red service delivery alert for the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia

Due to continued poor air quality in the Okanagan Valley, caused by smoke from wildfires, we have updated below the Delivery service alerts for today.

The safety of our employees is our number one priority. We continue to assess the situation and delivery will resume once it is deemed safe to do so.

The following regions will not have deliveries:
  • * Oliver
    * Osoyoos
Thank you for your patience.
https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/ ... lerts.page
Nothing about Penticton, but I didn't see anyone delivering today - and wouldn't expect to.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 5:06 pm https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/ ... lerts.page
Nothing about Penticton, but I didn't see anyone delivering today - and wouldn't expect to.
Nothing in my mailbox either, but the smoke was heavier Friday than the previous couple of days, close to being as nasty as Tuesday which likely started the whole thing. It was thick enough Tuesday that it's not hard to think that there were some sore throats and red eyes among letter carriers by the end of the shift.

Traditionally though, residential delivery on the Friday ahead of a long weekend has always been a hit-and-miss sort of thing in my neighbourhood.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 6:53 am
rustled wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 5:06 pm https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/ ... lerts.page
Nothing in my mailbox either, but the smoke was heavier Friday than the previous couple of days, close to being as nasty as Tuesday which likely started the whole thing. It was thick enough Tuesday that it's not hard to think that there were some sore throats and red eyes among letter carriers by the end of the shift.

Traditionally though, residential delivery on the Friday ahead of a long weekend has always been a hit-and-miss sort of thing in my neighbourhood.
:up:
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Agree with the above- there no reason walking routes should be done in smoke so thick you can eat it with a fork and knife, and no reason the car based deliveries cannot be done.

For BC Landlord: Canada Post is a crown Corp that is self-funded, doesn’t require tax dollars.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Gilchy wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 7:19 am For BC Landlord: Canada Post is a crown Corp that is self-funded, doesn’t require tax dollars.
Who do you think covers their losses?

"OTTAWA, ON, April 30, 2021 /CNW/ - Canada Post recorded a loss before tax of $779 million in 2020, even while delivering record-high Domestic Parcels volumes. The postal service had reported a year-to-date $709 million loss before tax in the third quarter of 2020."
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Their mandate is to be self-sufficient. However, their efforts to become self-sustaining have been stymied by politicians:
Trudeau has chosen to move Canada Post from a self-sustaining public enterprise back into a social agency — one destined to depend on taxpayer subsidies to survive.

SNIP

The corporation has warned Ottawa that a profitable parcel business, a strengthened direct marketing business, improved efficiency and productivity are “not enough for the corporation to achieve financial self-sufficiency.”

Even after the government eased solvency requirements, the corporation’s pension plan is underfunded by a staggering $5.3 billion. The plan’s benefits are guaranteed by the Canadian taxpayer.

Faced with this financial reality check, many thought Trudeau would drop his community mailbox promise — that he’d let the corporation act like other businesses under siege from the “internet of everything” and transform its service model.

SNIP

The Liberals ignored these findings and the chance to let Canada Post continue to transform itself as an arms-length, financially sound crown corporation. Instead, the Liberals are quietly turning the post office back into a social service agency. They are downgrading its corporate status, increasing government control over its affairs and giving the latest chairperson, career bureaucrat Jessica McDonald, an impossible mandate.

SNIP

The government’s so-called vision kicks the can down the road. And it will leave Canadian taxpayers holding the bag for growing Canada Post losses in the years ahead.
https://lfpress.com/opinion/columnists/ ... al-service

Door-to-door service was to be phased out as part of the effort to become self-sustaining. It's too expensive.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

rustled wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 7:43 am Their mandate is to be self-sufficient. However, their efforts to become self-sustaining have been stymied by politicians:
Trudeau has chosen to move Canada Post from a self-sustaining public enterprise back into a social agency — one destined to depend on taxpayer subsidies to survive.

SNIP

The corporation has warned Ottawa that a profitable parcel business, a strengthened direct marketing business, improved efficiency and productivity are “not enough for the corporation to achieve financial self-sufficiency.”

Even after the government eased solvency requirements, the corporation’s pension plan is underfunded by a staggering $5.3 billion. The plan’s benefits are guaranteed by the Canadian taxpayer.

Faced with this financial reality check, many thought Trudeau would drop his community mailbox promise — that he’d let the corporation act like other businesses under siege from the “internet of everything” and transform its service model.

SNIP

The Liberals ignored these findings and the chance to let Canada Post continue to transform itself as an arms-length, financially sound crown corporation. Instead, the Liberals are quietly turning the post office back into a social service agency. They are downgrading its corporate status, increasing government control over its affairs and giving the latest chairperson, career bureaucrat Jessica McDonald, an impossible mandate.

SNIP

The government’s so-called vision kicks the can down the road. And it will leave Canadian taxpayers holding the bag for growing Canada Post losses in the years ahead.
https://lfpress.com/opinion/columnists/ ... al-service

Door-to-door service was to be phased out as part of the effort to become self-sustaining. It's too expensive.
Absolutely, door to door should be phased out, there’s no logical reason to have door to door as it’s nothing more than a needless and expensive convenience.. Rural Canada has never had door to door, my 86 year old mother walks to the community mailbox to get her mail and daily exercise, year round. Furthermore, here in rural BC our mail is always delivered on time to our community mailboxes by non-union mail delivery contractors.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

As usual, let the Gov't bureaucrats run it and they will royally muck it up!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

There is next to no need for what Canada Post does. Even if we wanted to privatize it, I bet you, we would have a hard time finding a buyer, even at fire sale price. Reminds me of the HBC.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I like my door service! Received mail both Thurs and Friday.
As for couriers.. FedEX has hired a bunch of new people and there have been issues.
Besides my Postie is just the bestest, hides my parcels instead of leaving me a go pick it up notice.
Like I said pages ago - it was a management decision.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Social Concerns”