Rents going down ...

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Rents going down ...

Post by fluffy »

Rejigger wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:07 amAre you suggesting that tenants compare numerous potential landlords before they apply to rent a place? Okay. But then the unit will be rented out in the mean time, quite possibly before they even finish their comparisons.
Yes, it's a landlord's market, for good and bad landlords alike. Like you said, an easily accessible online review site would reduce that research time to seconds. A tenant could look up a landlord on his phone while viewing the property. From what I've read the obvious solution to the housing shortage and high rents is to build more housing, and get the vacancy rate up enough so that landlord's are competing for tenants, not the other way around.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

fluffy wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:35 am How many of these disputes could have been avoided if the tenant knew in advance that the landlord was a jerk ?
Again, it's very risky for a landlord to be a jerk to a tenant when said tenant is occupying a multi-thousand dollar property and holds all the cards.

I think you're grasping. If this is a realistic argument, the government is the one to implement it, so you should contact them with your suggestion. Who knows, you may be a change-maker.

You know the tenant can go against government regulations and change the lock, right? What's going to happen to the tenant? A weak slap on the wrists and the chance to do it again the next week.
~
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

fluffy wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:42 am From what I've read the obvious solution to the housing shortage and high rents is to build more housing, and get the vacancy rate up enough so that landlord's are competing for tenants, not the other way around.
I agree. However, government regulations have frightened landlords away due to the high risk. Renters don't recognize this because they think the government is on their side, standing up for them. Most renters don't see past the tips of their noses on this issue, it would seem.

No worries, though, as the Feds are getting into the rental business.
~
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Rejigger wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:52 amAgain, it's very risky for a landlord to be a jerk to a tenant when said tenant is occupying a multi-thousand dollar property and holds all the cards.
I'm talking about before the tenancy begins. A landlord gets to view the tenant's resume, why not the reverse ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Rejigger wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:56 am
fluffy wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:42 am From what I've read the obvious solution to the housing shortage and high rents is to build more housing, and get the vacancy rate up enough so that landlord's are competing for tenants, not the other way around.
I agree. However, government regulations have frightened landlords away due to the high risk. Renters don't recognize this because they think the government is on their side, standing up for them. Most renters don't see past the tips of their noses on this issue, it would seem.

No worries, though, as the Feds are getting into the rental business.
~
Are the industry insiders still whispering about that?
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

fluffy wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:58 am
Rejigger wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:52 amAgain, it's very risky for a landlord to be a jerk to a tenant when said tenant is occupying a multi-thousand dollar property and holds all the cards.
I'm talking about before the tenancy begins. A landlord gets to view the tenant's resume, why not the reverse ?
Yes, before tenancy begins, you want to know if the landlord has been a jerk to other tenants. And I'm suggesting that the odds of getting jerk landlords is much lower than the odds of getting jerk tenants, for reasons already discussed.

Government regulations have pitted landlords and tenants against each other before they've even met. As the old saying goes, "paranoia will destroy ya".
~
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Rejigger wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 12:07 pm
fluffy wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:58 am

Yes, before tenancy begins, you want to know if the landlord has been a jerk to other tenants. And I'm suggesting that the odds of getting jerk landlords is much lower than the odds of getting jerk tenants, for reasons already discussed.

Government regulations have pitted landlords and tenants against each other before they've even met. As the old saying goes, "paranoia will destroy ya".
~
That happens even without the "government regulations" so that's a bit of a fallacy.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

fluffy wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:58 am I'm talking about before the tenancy begins. A landlord gets to view the tenant's resume, why not the reverse ?
Aren't property showings a good opportunity for interested renters to interview landlords? In fact, from my experience, many of them ask some very good questions at that point. And I appreciate it. It just goes to minimize potential future misunderstandings. That's all good.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 12:19 pm
fluffy wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 11:58 am I'm talking about before the tenancy begins. A landlord gets to view the tenant's resume, why not the reverse ?
Aren't property showings a good opportunity for interested renters to interview landlords? In fact, from my experience, many of them ask some very good questions at that point. And I appreciate it. It just goes to minimize potential future misunderstandings. That's all good.
That's exactly like if you were judging the tenants without the arsenal of "credit checks". It'll basically be a meet and greet to listen to each other pump themselves up without really saying anything as they can easily lie their faces off to each other. The truth won't really come out until they are in that relationship of tenant to landlord.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 12:19 pm
What if the landlord is a liar? Do you think a landlord who enters properties without legal notice, like KG's example in an earlier post, are going to disclose that to potential tenants? I think requesting references from a landlord is a reasonable request. Especially for women.
Last edited by JLives on Aug 25th, 2021, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JLives wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 12:32 pm What if the landlord is a liar? Do you think a landlord who enters properties without legal notice, like KC's example in an earlier post, are going to disclose that to potential tenants? I think requesting references from a landlord is a reasonable request. Especially for women.
Then, just leave such a landlord, and find a better place. For tenants it's very easy. For landlords, not so much.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 1:06 pm
JLives wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 12:32 pm What if the landlord is a liar? Do you think a landlord who enters properties without legal notice, like KC's example in an earlier post, are going to disclose that to potential tenants? I think requesting references from a landlord is a reasonable request. Especially for women.
Then, just leave such a landlord, and find a better place. For tenants it's very easy. For landlords, not so much.
Why would that be?.....especially in areas of low vacancy. But I do get it, closer to the beginning of the month, more pressure to rent to someone especially if a landlord was over leveraged.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 1:06 pm
Why aren't you willing to just provide a reference though? So bad landlords can be screened before moving everything they own into their new home and then having to move again when they find said landlord in their home unannounced? And, no, moving is not easy. This was the exact reason my daughter had to leave her last place.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JLives wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 1:16 pm Why aren't you willing to just provide a reference though? So bad landlords can be screened before moving everything they own into their new home and then having to move again when they find said landlord in their home unannounced?
What "references" are you talking about? I cannot just give out a list of my tenants and their contact info to anyone, because it would be a substantial breach of their privacy. As I mentioned before, if renters really wanted to "rate" landlords, it would have to come from them, not landlords. Perhaps, start here on Castanet, and ask the administrators to put in some 'landlords review" option in the rental classifieds. I wouldn't mind.
And, no, moving is not easy. This was the exact reason my daughter had to leave her last place.
Of course it's not ... But imagine, if a landlord asked you ...

"Hey, you've been with us for a few years and although you are a great tenant, your rent is falling so far behind my costs due to the rent controls, so would you be willing to renegotiate the rent?"

So, what would be your answer, ... honestly?
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 1:41 pm
"Hey, you've been with us for a few years and although you are a great tenant, your rent is falling so far behind my costs due to the rent controls, so would you be willing to renegotiate the rent?"

So, what would be your answer, ... honestly?
So if you didn't do any renovations, what would be those extra costs?....aside from things like property tax and insurance that are tax deductible for operating costs.

Return to “Social Concerns”