End the lockdown

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
BC Landlord
Übergod

Re: End the lockdown

Post by BC Landlord »

JLives wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:20 am We are the government. They're just people like you and me. They just facilitate the things we do together. And ending a pandemic is absolutely something that has to be done together and cannot be done on an individual level.

Our rights and freedoms have already been laid out. ...
No, we are not. Governments can write laws, ... you can't. Governments can enforce them, ... you can't. Our history is full of examples where the combination of legislative and executive powers went sideways, often totally bypassing the judicial branch.

These people out in the street protesting are challenging it. So, don't mock them.
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

W105 wrote:
Ka-El wrote: Going to sporting events, concerts, movies and/or restaurants are not "basic services" [icon_lol2.gif]
^^ so allowing unvaxxed and vaxxed people to shop together is ok though ??
This is where the difference between basic and essential services comes in. People have to shop for food to eat. No one is going to be physically harmed or deprived by not being able to go to a concert, movie or restaurant. That will be a choice.

W105 wrote: people will still be using the same carts, touching the same items and using the same public washrooms..where is the "science" in this ??
Well, I don’t know about you but it seems most people do understand the science. People have been going into grocery stores wearing masks and using sanitizer to wipe down carts for some time now. It’s not complicated stuff and it seems most people have no difficulty with it. Of course, there are always those entitled few.
When I retire I want to be careful not to play too much golf. Two rounds a day should be plenty.
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

BC Landlord wrote: These people out in the street protesting are challenging it. So, don't mock them.
The very small minority who are protesting in front of hospital (blocking ambulances, interfering with patient care, etc.) are not heroes. They are misinformed/uninformed idiots who are putting everyone’s health and our economic recovery at risk. They deserve to be mocked. As stated by an actual health care worker, “They should be ashamed”.

Your heroes at work …
Mother, nurse describes terrifying ordeal trying to get young daughter through protest outside KGH

A Kelowna mother and nurse who had to take her daughter to an appointment at Kelowna General Hospital in the midst of Wednesday's protest says she was verbally abused by the crowd, which terrified her nine year old.

"We parked and that was when we had to walk from this area over to here," Tanya Miles explained. "My daughter was of course like 'mommy, mommy I can’t do that' and I was like 'we can do this we have to do this.'"

"As we got closer ... one woman grabbed my mask and tried to take it off. People are yelling at us saying inappropriate things. I end up picking up my daughter and putting her on my back and piggyback her so that we could get through.”

Miles, a nurse at the B.C. Cancer Clinic, said some of her colleagues were spat on as they tried to enter the hospital, others were forced to miss chemotherapy appointments.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... utside-KGH
Last edited by Ka-El on Sep 3rd, 2021, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I retire I want to be careful not to play too much golf. Two rounds a day should be plenty.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Sparki55 wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:19 am
mexi cali wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am You're missing a key point, maybe THE key point. Nobody is being forced to get vaccinated. There is a difference between telling someone to report to a vaccine center and take the jab or face arrest or confinement (same thing I guess) versus saying that if you want to work here or participate in this, you must be vaccinated. That is not "forcing" anyone. Their choice is their choice.
So once the vaccine becomes mandatory to work anywhere in Canada, am I allowed to hoof it up to the bush and build a cabin? If the answer is no then this is forced vaccination.
This sounds like a trick question. Enjoy the mooses and deerses.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:55 am
W105 wrote: ^^ so allowing unvaxxed and vaxxed people to shop together is ok though ??
This is where the difference between basic and essential services comes in. People have to shop for food to eat. No one is going to be physically harmed or deprived by not being able to go to a concert, movie or restaurant. That will be a choice.

W105 wrote: people will still be using the same carts, touching the same items and using the same public washrooms..where is the "science" in this ??
Well, I don’t know about you but it seems most people do understand the science. People have been going into grocery stores wearing masks and using sanitizer to wipe down carts for some time now. It’s not complicated stuff and it seems most people have no difficulty with it. Of course, there are always those entitled few.
^^ no I do not understand the science allowing vaxxed and unvaxxed people to shop together but not eat together...covid cooties are everywhere...they are not controlled in a grocery store..you wear a mask in a grocery store and you wear one in a restaurant...people in a restaurant sit in one place and maybe use the rest room...people in a grocery store move thru out the entire store interacting with everybody around them...that does not happen in a restaurant you are seated and you stay there..so please can you explain how the risks are lower in a grocery store but higher in every other public setting
Jonrox
Guru

Post by Jonrox »

W105 wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:43 am ^^ so allowing unvaxxed and vaxxed people to shop together is ok though ?? people will still be using the same carts, touching the same items and using the same public washrooms..where is the "science" in this ??
If you don't believe in the science and math behind this, I'm all for unvaccinated people not being allowed to shop if that's what you're suggesting.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Jonrox wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 11:17 am
W105 wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:43 am ^^ so allowing unvaxxed and vaxxed people to shop together is ok though ?? people will still be using the same carts, touching the same items and using the same public washrooms..where is the "science" in this ??
If you don't believe in the science and math behind this, I'm all for unvaccinated people not being allowed to shop if that's what you're suggesting.
^^ ahhh, there it is finally...full on segregation..I was waiting to see when somebody would actually admit that is what they would like to see...maybe we should also have the Military walking the streets ??

so no vax...no food, no job, no medical care...a drug addict has more rights I guess..so how much more are you willing to pay for taxes to house and feed the unvaxxed ??
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

W105 wrote:
Ka-El wrote: Well, I don’t know about you but it seems most people do understand the science. People have been going into grocery stores wearing masks and using sanitizer to wipe down carts for some time now. It’s not complicated stuff and it seems most people have no difficulty with it. Of course, there are always those entitled few.
^^ no I do not understand the science allowing vaxxed and unvaxxed people to shop together but not eat together...
:135: Really? You don’t understand how masks reduce transmission or how sanitizer kills the virus? Well, I’ll leave that up to you to remedy if you so choose. Don’t worry. As far as science goes it’s pretty basic stuff, but again - your choice. :smt045
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

W105 wrote: ..maybe we should also have the Military walking the streets ??
Might have to if we find ourselves being overrun by selfish idiots
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 11:29 am
W105 wrote:
^^ no I do not understand the science allowing vaxxed and unvaxxed people to shop together but not eat together...
:135: Really? You don’t understand how masks reduce transmission or how sanitizer kills the virus? Well, I’ll leave that up to you to remedy if you so choose. Don’t worry. As far as science goes it’s pretty basic stuff, but again - your choice. :smt045
:135: Really ?? you do not realize that every public place has required masks and hand sanitizer ??
Jonrox
Guru

Post by Jonrox »

W105 wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 11:28 am ^^ ahhh, there it is finally...full on segregation..I was waiting to see when somebody would actually admit that is what they would like to see...maybe we should also have the Military walking the streets ??

so no vax...no food, no job, no medical care...a drug addict has more rights I guess..so how much more are you willing to pay for taxes to house and feed the unvaxxed ??
Not segregation from food, jobs, and medical care... I'm envisioning something more like The Hunger Games.
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

W105 wrote: :135: Really ?? you do not realize that every public place has required masks and hand sanitizer ??
Are you saying you do understand the science ? Yes, so for essential services we allow people to use those protective measures, but for unessential services that involve larger gatherings of people in a group we require extra measures.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:46 am
JLives wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:20 am We are the government. They're just people like you and me. They just facilitate the things we do together. And ending a pandemic is absolutely something that has to be done together and cannot be done on an individual level.

Our rights and freedoms have already been laid out. ...
No, we are not. Governments can write laws, ... you can't. Governments can enforce them, ... you can't. Our history is full of examples where the combination of legislative and executive powers went sideways, often totally bypassing the judicial branch.

These people out in the street protesting are challenging it. So, don't mock them.
People of Canada need to get off their :swear: and hold elected representatives of all levels of government accountable.
Unfortunately to many people just throw up there arms and say there’s the government again. Wake up people

Why do I even bother wasting my time... never mind continue to just :swear: and complain, oh yes and protest.
Come on Supreme Court of Canada step up and do Your Job.

"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
Sparki55
Lord of the Board

Post by Sparki55 »

mexi cali wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 11:04 am This sounds like a trick question. Enjoy the mooses and deerses.
Not at all. Got my answer thanks. Since soon you must vaccinate to be employed at a number of locations and likely soon to be all, it's mandatory unless one wants to be homeless. I'm sure EI will be tied to it soon too.
Silverstarqueen
Buddha of the Board

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Alberta bringing back some restrictions in hope of reducing the recent increases in covid cases, hospital outbreaks, dealing with nursing shortages. B.c. and Alberta in the running for most cases, and hospitalizations per population.
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-rei ... -1.5572527
I think unless Alberta controls their outbreaks and covid transmissions, b.c. will have a hard time, because our economies are so intertwined.

Return to “Social Concerns”