End the lockdown

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: End the lockdown

Post by rustled »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:40 am
rustled wrote:
You've mixed what businesses have the right to do with what businesses must do under health law.

Shirts and shoes are required for health reasons, …
:smt045 Just like vaccinations, for the protection of staff and other customers.
Shirts and shoes are required in grocery stores, not just in restaurants.

A vaccinated person can transmit the virus to staff and other customers. Banning unvaccinated people doesn't stop vaccinated people who are carrying the virus from transmitting it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

BC Landlord wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:44 am
mexi cali wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:17 am Except that, whether you realized it or not, you were also protecting others.
Absolutely, NOT! I couldn't care less about protecting people who refuse protection themselves. They've all made their conscious decisions, and I respect that. There are also people out there who still smoke cigarettes or do drugs, and they'll all end up in some ICU. But I don't go around to make them stop.
When two people are both vaccinated, there is a much lower rate of transmission than when one or neither of them are vaccinated. Multiply that when you have five, ten, twenty people gathering, that's how we keep outbreaks to a minimum and save the strain on our hospitals so other treatments and surgeries don't have to be cancelled.
Edmonton Miseracordia hospital is diverting patients, shutting down some services because they have Covid transmissions occuring, too many covid patients, and not enough nurses, either out sick or burned out. The more people who are vaccinated, the less likely is this scenario this coming fall.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:44 am I’m getting the feeling I have missed something, is there a current lockdown happening.
It's more of a lockout - banning people from some environments to force them to comply.

The ban doesn't seem to be based on current science.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

BC Landlord wrote: There are also people out there who still smoke cigarettes or do drugs, and they'll all end up in some ICU. But I don't go around to make them stop.
Good thing addiction isn't contagious.

'The ultimate selfishness'

Some doctors and nurses are frustrated with large groups of anti-vaccination protesters outside hospitals in cities across the country and say limited health-care resources are being used to save the lives of those who decided not to protect themselves against COVID-19.

Dr. Steven Fedder, who works in the emergency room at Richmond Hospital in B.C. said he has run out of patience for people whose stance against vaccines has larger societal implications.

"I think it's the ultimate selfishness that individuals choose not to vaccinate themselves. And I think they don't realize they are too arrogant to understand that we live in a society where we all have to make sacrifices," he said.

It's time that more employers, including all levels of governments, started mandating vaccines to send a strong message to those ignoring the science behind vaccination, Fedder said, adding the potential of losing a job may be the jolt people need to get immunized.

Patients suffering from other serious illnesses are affected when the health-care system starts to "grind to a halt" from the number of unvaccinated patients being hospitalized and occupying intensive care beds, Fedder said, noting people with chronic conditions often avoid going to emergency departments when cases spike, sometimes worsening their health.

"For the staff, it's exhausting. It's challenging when you have somebody come in who is there when there was a simple route to preventing what they came in with — a COVID infection. Our job is to be professional and not to be judgmental, but it's very trying for nurses and doctors and all the other health-care professionals to look at somebody who made a conscious decision not to get vaccinated."

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/34 ... protesters
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I’ve said this all along this virus is here to stay and it will be like the common cold, everyone will get it sooner or later.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

rustled wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:51 am
GordonH wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:44 am I’m getting the feeling I have missed something, is there a current lockdown happening.
It's more of a lockout - banning people from some environments to force them to comply.
Or they can just stay out of those environments.
The current science shows that if two people are both vaccinated, the chance of transmission is much lower than if one or neither of them is vaccinated.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

BC Landlord wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:44 am There are also people out there who still smoke cigarettes or do drugs, and they'll all end up in some ICU. But I don't go around to make them stop.
Cigarettes are an excellent example. We had no problem placing major restrictions on where smokers could indulge as soon as it was discovered to be a risk to others.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

rustled wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:49 am A vaccinated person can transmit the virus to staff and other customers.
Then, tell staff and other customers to get vaccinated. How's that for a starter, before turning our society into a gestapo state?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

GordonH wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:52 am I’ve said this all along this virus is here to stay and it will be like the common cold, everyone will get it sooner or later.
Which is why we are getting mostly unvaccinated in the hospital, and the vaccinated are getting no Covid infection or a much milder infection, far less chance of hospitalization or death.
If everyone is going to get it, better that they are vaccinated to reduce the worst outcomes.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:51 am
Absolutely, NOT! I couldn't care less about protecting people who refuse protection themselves. They've all made their conscious decisions, and I respect that. There are also people out there who still smoke cigarettes or do drugs, and they'll all end up in some ICU. But I don't go around to make them stop.
When two people are both vaccinated, there is a much lower rate of transmission than when one or neither of them are vaccinated. Multiply that when you have five, ten, twenty people gathering, that's how we keep outbreaks to a minimum and save the strain on our hospitals so other treatments and surgeries don't have to be cancelled.
That's the assumption we made. It doesn't seem to be panning out.

The vaccines are turning out to be less effective through the population, and for a shorter period of time.
Silverstarqueen wrote: Edmonton Miseracordia hospital is diverting patients, shutting down some services because they have Covid transmissions occuring, too many covid patients, and not enough nurses, either out sick or burned out. The more people who are vaccinated, the less likely is this scenario this coming fall.
Banning unvaccinated people from gatherings won't necessarily help much, though.

There's still too much we don't know. It seems to me we've all been making assumptions based on far more effective vaccines.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:52 am I’ve said this all along this virus is here to stay and it will be like the common cold, everyone will get it sooner or later.
I think you're right.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Oh well :cuss: happens
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:54 am
Or they can just stay out of those environments.
The current science shows that if two people are both vaccinated, the chance of transmission is much lower than if one or neither of them is vaccinated.
The current science also shows the vaccines aren't effective for as long as expected.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:56 am
Which is why we are getting mostly unvaccinated in the hospital, and the vaccinated are getting no Covid infection or a much milder infection, far less chance of hospitalization or death.
If everyone is going to get it, better that they are vaccinated to reduce the worst outcomes.
I haven’t got it so all is good :up:
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

mexi cali wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:17 am Except that, whether you realized it or not, you were also protecting others.
Absolutely, NOT! I couldn't care less about protecting people who refuse protection themselves. They've all made their conscious decisions, and I respect that. There are also people out there who still smoke cigarettes or do drugs, and they'll all end up in some ICU. But I don't go around and make them stop.
You personally don't stop drug use, but these drugs are heavily regulated and illegal for general use, to a lot of effort does go into trying to make them stop.
Those who smoke can attest to a decades long campaigne to make them stop smoking, at least around other people.
You can't go into most restaurants or businesses, schools, hospitals, nursing homes and smoke. so you can't go into these places and freely spread your covid germs. Yes, these places try to make them stop at least on their premises.

Return to “Social Concerns”