A Lack of Kindness

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: A Lack of Kindness

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'm finding both sides of many debates are becoming more extreme in their intolerance of other stances.

Either those of us who are more moderate are smaller in number or quieter online.

I'm trying to be consistently respectful but I'm also finding the hostility out there is causing me to want to fade into the background. I'm extremely non-confrontational and the rage online is causing me to feel like I need to hide. :runforlife:

I've even stopped going into many of the controversial threads.

You are right fluffy, there is a definite dearth of manners.
I haven't failed until I quit.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 7:48 am I've even stopped going into many of the controversial threads.
I have recently decided to make better use of the friend/foe function on our user control panel. This board has become much more enjoyable in just a few short days.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Lady t, ^^^ X2. :up: :up:

Thanks for saving me some type(cast)ing. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Can't forget what one never had - some people were never taught manners, and it shows
Not specific to any age group either
If the internet gets you down there are always cute baby animal videos to lift the darkness
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Fluffy ( if you can see this lol) I really appreciate the FOE function. Never used the FRIEND, does that highlight the person's post or something?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

normaM wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 7:56 am Fluffy ( if you can see this lol) I really appreciate the FOE function. Never used the FRIEND, does that highlight the person's post or something?
I think it does, although I don't use it. I think there's a sort of speed-dial aspect to it too. "Foe" is reserved for special cases, people seemingly unable to express themselves without insult and/or ridicule. I'm not seeing these people aren't entitled to their opinion, but I do reserve the right not to listen. I think there's a lot to be said for removing disturbing influences whenever possible. Remember The Desiderata ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 7:23 am that is because vaxxers outnumber anti-vaxxers by ten to one.
It's more like 4 to 1.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

fluffy wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 7:53 am I have recently decided to make better use of the friend/foe function on our user control panel. This board has become much more enjoyable in just a few short days.
I'm not sure I understand. So you're just ignoring the people you don't agree with and that is better? Sounds like an echo chamber.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Sparki55 wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 8:53 amI'm not sure I understand. So you're just ignoring the people you don't agree with and that is better? Sounds like an echo chamber.
It's not that I don't agree with them, it's that they can't act in a manner that is considered socially acceptable, and I am in no way obliged put up with that. I'm talking about people who do not come here to discuss, but are motivated by a need to inflame and insult. This goes to the thread topic, and the internet, in particular social media, has given these people a venue in which to practice bad behavior without repercussion. In the real world these people quickly find themselves without friends, I like that the "foe" function extends that choice to this forum.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

fluffy wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 9:18 am
Sparki55 wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 8:53 amI'm not sure I understand. So you're just ignoring the people you don't agree with and that is better? Sounds like an echo chamber.
It's not that I don't agree with them, it's that they can't act in a manner that is considered socially acceptable, and I am in no way obliged put up with that. I'm talking about people who do not come here to discuss, but are motivated by a need to inflame and insult.
I have used that function as well. There are a few people on it, inflammatory trolls I don't want to see the posts by. People who just like to stir the pot versus actually discussing.

I think the friend function just keeps them listed for ease of pm's, but I could be wrong?

We can't stay in echo chambers, Sparki55 - but we don't need to be subject to abuse either.
I haven't failed until I quit.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Just the National Lampoon versions Fluffy
Yes, I have only a few on foe, usually the ones who I foe end up getting banned so I reckon I wasn't alone in thinking they were here just to stir the pot
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

fluffy wrote: I have recently decided to make better use of the friend/foe function on our user control panel. This board has become much more enjoyable in just a few short days.
I know I’m guilty of sometimes baiting or insulting other posters (I always snicker when someone insults me and then starts crying when they get insulted back) but that is not the poster I want to be. I have also noticed increased peace by ignoring certain posters and I think I need to remain more assiduous in ignoring others. It is always more enjoyable to engage in adult conversation, and it is unfortunate we’ve lost some really thoughtful posters due to the childish attacks they were continually subjected to. I don’t mind some subtle baiting or insult but there are posters here who almost always default to juvenile rhetoric and I want to be as unlike them as possible. Ya, I’ve got to work to do but I can admit that (see how long I last).
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

I have no one on foe.
I just ignore.
One of the best poster here is erinmore3775
Kind, mature, informative, insightful and free of insults.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

PoplarSoul wrote:One of the best poster here is erinmore3775
Kind, mature, informative, insightful and free of insults.
Agreed. Hopefully we don't lose her/him as well due to the juvenile attacks she/he is often subjected to.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Ah Popular Soul - early times :)

Return to “Social Concerns”