A Lack of Kindness

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Re: A Lack of Kindness

Post by MAPearce »

ferri wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 2:41 pm I see a few people have mentioned empathy and it was my first thought too. Treat everyone the way you want to be treated. It's that easy.
Kindness starts by just being a good neighbor ..

We've been programmed to forget that ..

Sad really .
I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 6th, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wrong thread for this post.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
nucksRnum1
Übergod

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 9:08 amIt really does boil down to a loss of community. I'd love to see people offered incentives to move to the smaller communities to build them up.
As a kid who was raised until 8 years old in Montreal as an anglo - I was a kid who was tortured by the building up a small community. Dad was tired of the french nonsense in 1980. He came to BC because he figured - how much more english can you get in Canada? The was a town and development with a golf course and an airport as the crown jewels. The development was between Clinton and Williams Lake. Every time I go back I see how it languishes to a slow death. This is why I resist going unless I have to for my mom.

It was interesting and my siblings and I had freedom as kids in the great outdoors - but we were also always on the outside looking in. Culturally and socially we didn't ever get into the nucleus of the log truck drivers. Or the ranchers. Or the looney toon new-age complex in town. My parents were city slickers who were in the biker and Woodstock culture.

Looking back I think of my mom and how proud I am of her. She was tenacious and fought any resistance she met in the town. She (like many other women at the time) proved her salt and became Forestry techs and slung a chainsaw around all day. And she found her place in the world. This is why she spent the past few months yelling at the TV about how the forest fires were dealt with.

I try to hold onto the good things and memories. But the "townie" intangible "negatives" you felt growing up in that environment - still linger. That's where I learned "kindnesses" can be dictated by a chosen few. And is usually shown to whom these chosen few decide gets it. Transparently and purposely. Clicks in a small town are as obvious as the sky is blue. And that's too bad. I had come to Kelowna annually for events held here. And the moment I saw this valley - I was hooked. I came when I finally got tired of a small town compared to Kelowna. And I have loved it here ever since.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Post by Lady tehMa »

It alarms me how people are removing the halts of their behavior.

As part of the social contract, certain things are not appropriate. Like destroying someone's property. And this year we're seeing election signs vandalized (Liberal and Conservative).

Or attacking someone. Maxime Bernier had an egg smashed on him recently https://ca.news.yahoo.com/peoples-party ... 02522.html, and now the headline is that someone threw pebbles at Trudeau. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#344955 Now, I loathe and despise Trudeau (IMO he's a waste of skin) but you don't DO that!

It alarms me because things start small. If people are doing this now, how long before actual damaging violence is seen as an option?

I get that a lot of people are unhappy but there are some lines we just shouldn't cross.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

canadian politicians are finally being held accountable by we the people for :cuss: us over and over again. for far to long, i hope they all start to feel the heat
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
ekir8
Fledgling

Post by ekir8 »

Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 2nd, 2021, 10:05 am I am finding people are becoming polarized about topics, and in general highly hostile to any other stance than their own.

I think of myself as a moderate. I think other people need to be allowed to have their own opinions regardless of whether or not I agree with them. I would love for everyone to be on the same page, but I accept that they aren't. My best friend is fond of playing devil's advocate and in discussing things with her I've often learned much. I would also venture she too has gotten something out of our conversations.

If I state something, that would put me in a centrist position or something slightly to the right or to the left; the response is people immediately labelling me as "extreme" and lumping me in with the worst of that leaning.

So, what has happened to "the benefit of the doubt", "civil discourse" and simple "kindness"? Is there any way to get this back?
Honestly, my theory is that we never could have gotten to this point if it wasn't for the Trump presidency. I'm not pro or anti Trump, I look at him with the same detached apathy that I look at every politician with, but it was very interesting to see the media-fueled social division get to a fever pitch over those four years. Then he disappears and we're left with an extremely polarized and politicized public. I couldn't tell you how many times people write me off as being a "Trump supporting alt-right white nationalist racist" because I refuse the vaccine. Nobody who spouts those claims would ever be seen as a sane and rational person if it weren't for the division created from 2016-2020. It's totally acceptable in today's discourse to be rife with seething hatred for people you don't even know. It's encouraged, in fact. I have my theories as to why this is but they have no bearing on this thread so I'll leave them out.

Edit: No, I don't believe this trend is going to be reversed any time soon. It will only intensify. The great social bifurcation is upon us and I don't think any of us has any idea how bad this will get.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Post by Lady tehMa »

ekir8 wrote: Sep 7th, 2021, 10:44 am
Honestly, my theory is that we never could have gotten to this point if it wasn't for the Trump presidency. I'm not pro or anti-Trump, I look at him with the same detached apathy that I look at every politician with, but it was very interesting to see the media-fueled social division get to a fever pitch over those four years. Then he disappears and we're left with an extremely polarized and politicized public. I couldn't tell you how many times people write me off as being a "Trump-supporting alt-right white nationalist racist" because I refuse the vaccine. Nobody who spouts those claims would ever be seen as a sane and rational person if it weren't for the division created from 2016-2020. It's totally acceptable in today's discourse to be rife with seething hatred for people you don't even know. It's encouraged, in fact. I have my theories as to why this is but they have no bearing on this thread so I'll leave them out.

Edit: No, I don't believe this trend is going to be reversed any time soon. It will only intensify. The great social bifurcation is upon us and I don't think any of us has any idea how bad this will get.
I think Trump was simply a manifestation of the deep divide that is happening. He didn't cause it. IMO people flocked to him because he offered something different, a change from the status quo. And when the status quo was changed, many who benefitted from it (media in particular) were outraged. It is becoming everyman vs. elites. I am thinking Bernier may take a larger portion of the vote than expected, for the same reason.

I don't deny the need for change in government, in fact, I will be voting PPC. But just because we need change is no reason to abandon civility.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
nucksRnum1
Übergod

Post by nucksRnum1 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Sep 8th, 2021, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrong thread.
AlienSoldier
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by AlienSoldier »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 2nd, 2021, 11:48 am
Lack of accountability is social epidemic pandemic.
"I don't want to wear a mask or get a vaccination, but I do want to do whatever I want, wherever I want and whenever I want" without any consequence or personal responsibility and I wish the left would quit being so intolerant and be kind like me.
Yes, and I would like to apply this for shooting fire-arms, drinking and driving and anything else I want to do.

Algorithms in social media and the news now are carfully filtering what you like and read. The more left or right you go, the more of that it will show you. Eventually that is all you see. That segregation then plays into where you live, who you talk to, etc. Our worlds are becoming smaller, and at the same time more closed off due to how we run our news and social media companies.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 8:09 am Our worlds are becoming smaller, and at the same time more closed off due to how we run our news and social media companies.
A lot of people live in echo chambers. If you don’t agree with them 100% you are cut out of their life.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

OK kg - but quit trying to intimidate me into submission with that piercing glare !

---

backatcha.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The adventure continues...
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Lol, careful or the b :cuss: ch wings come out.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

the truth wrote: Sep 7th, 2021, 7:39 am canadian politicians are finally being held accountable by we the people for :cuss: us over and over again. for far to long, i hope they all start to feel the heat
Perpetrating violence against politicians is "being held accountable". :200: wow.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Social Concerns”