Why we need this vaccine passport mandate (from a vaccinated persons perspective):

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Why we need this vaccine passport mandate (from a vaccinated persons perspective):

Post by rustled »

Merry wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 11:55 am
rustled wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 5:10 pm Another visual:

IMO, it remains to be seen whether the vaccine passports are warranted or just another way to pit people against each other during an already anxious and frustrating time.
There is no doubt in my mind that the SOLE purpose of the vaccine passports is to coerce the unvaccinated into getting vaccinated. And there are some scientists and politicians (in other countries) who have publicly stated that as fact. But, in order to gain public support for the measure, North American Government and Public Health Authorities have allowed misinformation about the reason for the passports to circulate unchecked.

It’s a classic case of authorities believing “the end justifies the means”, but is allowing misinformation to circulate unchecked ever justified, for ANY reason?

The following article presents an unbiased discussion about the World’s approach to the Pandemic, and suggests that scapegoating the unvaccinated might not be the best way forward. It’s a very interesting read.

https://www.jpost.com/opinion/lessons-c ... age-675465
Good piece, Merry, thanks for sharing it. This rings true:
People prefer to be told to blame the “unvaccinated” – without asking about why a new variant might be uniquely placed to do what the old COVID variant was less lethal at doing.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
foenix
Guru

Re: Why we need this vaccine passport mandate (from a vaccinated persons perspective):

Post by foenix »

fluffy wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 4:16 am Merry, you've posted plague statistics from the dark ages as if they have some relevance to modern medicine. Doesn't that qualify as misinformation ?

For me it's quite simple, available evidence supports getting vaccinated over going without. So I got the jab for my own safety and to ensure that I have the mobility and variety of choices that being vaccinated affords. I'm willing to accept that the current decisions being made by our health officials are being made on the best science available at the moment, I don't have the education to dispute them and I'm not about to trust unvetted internet sources who may very well have agendas that don't include my safety.
I agree, it wasn't until late 1800 and early 1900's when scientists figured out other issues like being sanitary, drinking clean water, food, etc etc that caused some of those pre-1900 diseases to run rampant. I'm sure if Covid happened pre-1900, the outcome would have been much much worse.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

rustled wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 8:26 am
People prefer to be told to blame the “unvaccinated” – without asking about why a new variant might be uniquely placed to do what the old COVID variant was less lethal at doing.
That's why those vaccinations are important so that we don't let the Covid propagate and create more "variants" that might be more harmful than the Delta. That's why we were able to effectively eradicate virus like smallpox, chickenpox and other transmissible viruses......fo if peeps could stop being breeding chambers for these things......then we can go on to do other things. Perhaps those after pills by Pfizer and Mercks will help.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

rustled wrote: Oct 31st, 2021, 8:42 am Politicization of covid has been a significant problem from the get-go, leading first to reluctance to use steps to protect Canadians, and then to what I think we will, looking back from twenty years hence, see to be unnecessarily draconian measures that have caused more upheaval and anxiety than were necessary.
I firmly believe this to be true, but I also believe that it will be decades, if ever, before the whole truth comes out.

Covid IS real, and can be life threatening in those who get it. But that doesn’t alter the fact that it’s not a serious threat to the vast majority of people. So WHY are Governments over reacting?

We KNOW the vaccinated can still catch and spread the disease. It’s the reason we still insist on masks, physical distancing, and good hand hygiene. So WHY are we allowing the myth to perpetuate that it’s somehow “safer” to only be around vaccinated people, and to demonize the unvaccinated?

Even though it’s true that vaccinated people are less likely to get a severe enough form of Covid to require hospitalization, and it is in societies best interest to have as many people as possible vaccinated, in order to prevent our already under resourced health care system from becoming overwhelmed with Covid patients, it is NOT true that it is only the unvaccinated who are carrying and spreading the virus. And by allowing that myth to be perpetuated, the authorities are causing unecessary divisions within societies.

Vaccine passports may help pressure some of the unvaccinated to get vaccinated, but is the social disruption they are causing worth it? The passport requirement is causing staffing shortages everywhere, not least of which are in the very healthcare system the passports are supposed to protect.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

foenix wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 11:33 am
rustled wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 8:26 am
That's why those vaccinations are important so that we don't let the Covid propagate and create more "variants" that might be more harmful than the Delta. That's why we were able to effectively eradicate virus like smallpox, chickenpox and other transmissible viruses......fo if peeps could stop being breeding chambers for these things......then we can go on to do other things. Perhaps those after pills by Pfizer and Mercks will help.
The virus can mutate just as easily in vaccinated people who are harbouring it, as in unvaccinated people.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:11 pm yth to perpetuate that it’s somehow “safer” to only be around vaccinated people, and to demonize the unvaccinated?

Even though it’s true that vaccinated people are less likely to get a severe enough form of Covid to require hospitalization, and it is in societies best interest to have as many people as possible vaccinated, in order to prevent our already under resourced health care system from becoming overwhelmed with Covid patients, it is NOT true that it is only the unvaccinated who are carrying and spreading the virus. And by allowing that myth to be perpetuated, the authorities are causing unecessary divisions within societies.
That's the bottom line, no......in society's best interest to have the vaccine mandate.

Covid-19 Vaccine Mandates Are Working—Here’s The Proof

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... bf77aa2305

The above article is about the US but could easily be here as well.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The virus can mutate just as easily in vaccinated people who are harbouring it, as in unvaccinated people.

The only way to avoid mutations is to keep viral transmission low, so that any variants that do emerge have less opportunity to spread. And the way to keep transmission low is to keep your distance from others, avoid indoor crowded spaces, wear masks in indoor public spaces, and practise good hand hygiene. Better ventilation is also essential, particularly in public buildings like schools and hospitals. But that costs money, lots of it, so don’t expect Governments to fix that particular problem soon. They’d rather we all focus on blaming the unvaccinated for the spread.
Last edited by Merry on Nov 9th, 2021, 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SensibleOne
Board Meister

Post by SensibleOne »

The only virus we have successfully eradicated in humans is Smallpox. If the vaccinated were not catching covid, then maybe there would be hope... but considering even the vaccinated are still catching it, eradication is extremely unlikely.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:14 pm

That's because the original Alpha strain mutated so that the Alpha strain vaccines weren't as effective. If the virus was the alpha strain then the Pfizer would be 96% effective against even catching it. The longer the virus is allowed to propagate, the less effective the original vaccines will be against the variants. It's a vicious catch-22 situation but if everyone gets their vaccines and booster shot (multi-variant booster), the sooner the spread of new variants will be stopped.
Last edited by foenix on Nov 9th, 2021, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

SensibleOne wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:28 pm
The only virus we have successfully eradicated in humans is Smallpox. If the vaccinated were not catching covid, then maybe there would be hope... but considering even the vaccinated are still catching it, eradication is extremely unlikely.
Notice the word "effectively" eradicated......like these guys.....

Diseases You Almost Forgot About (Thanks to Vaccines)

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/di ... eases.html
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

foenix wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:23 pm
Merry wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:11 pm yth to perpetuate that it’s somehow “safer” to only be around vaccinated people, and to demonize the unvaccinated?

That's the bottom line, no......in society's best interest to have the vaccine mandate.

I do believe that getting as many people as possible will protect our healthcare system from being overrun with Covid patients. Because the vaccine appears to help MOST (not all) people avoid severe illness after catching the virus.

BUT I do NOT believe that being around only vaccinated people makes us safer.

I know folks who think that if they’re in a room where everyone is vaccinated that it’s OK not to observe the other health care protocols, in the mistaken belief that the virus cannot spread among vaccinated people. And that’s part of the reason the virus is continuing to spread, despite over 80% of our population being fully vaccinated.

Vaccinated people CAN catch and spread the virus. And the virus can mutate just as easily in an infected vaccinated person as it can in an infected unvaccinated person. So continuing to blame the unvaccinated for the continued spread, is WRONG.

Encouraging the unvaccinated to get vaccinated in order to lessen the load on our healthcare system is one thing. But demonizing them, and blaming them for the spread of the disease is entirely another. Because EVERYONE, vaccinated or not, could be unknowingly spreading the disease if they have it but are asymptomatic.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

fluffy wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 4:16 am Merry, you've posted plague statistics from the dark ages
I wasn’t the original poster of that chart. However, I think comparing Covid numbers to the more recent pandemics, such as the Spanish flu and HIV, do help put this latest one into perspective. Because, even though healthcare has come a long way since the days of the Spanish flu, memories of the devastation that particular pandemic wrought helped fuel much of the fear mongering during this current pandemic. So it’s important for people to understand that, although serious, the situation is nowhere near as bad now as it was back then.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Merry wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:49 pmSo it’s important for people to understand that, although serious, the situation is nowhere near as bad now as it was back then.
Sure, by comparison with past pandemics, we can see the value of making use of any available precautions.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:42 pm
foenix wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:23 pm

I do believe that getting as many people as possible will protect our healthcare system from being overrun with Covid patients. Because the vaccine appears to help MOST (not all) people avoid severe illness after catching the virus.

BUT I do NOT believe that being around only vaccinated people makes us safer.

I know folks who think that if they’re in a room where everyone is vaccinated that it’s OK not to observe the other health care protocols, in the mistaken belief that the virus cannot spread among vaccinated people. And that’s part of the reason the virus is continuing to spread, despite over 80% of our population being fully vaccinated.

Vaccinated people CAN catch and spread the virus. And the virus can mutate just as easily in an infected vaccinated person as it can in an infected unvaccinated person. So continuing to blame the unvaccinated for the continued spread, is WRONG.

Encouraging the unvaccinated to get vaccinated in order to lessen the load on our healthcare system is one thing. But demonizing them, and blaming them for the spread of the disease is entirely another. Because EVERYONE, vaccinated or not, could be unknowingly spreading the disease if they have it but are asymptomatic.
It's not that the vaccinated people can't spread the virus but there are more studies that show that the vaxxed are less likely to catch Covid and transmit it to others than the unvaxxed. It's basically the same with hospitalization rate and death for the vaxxed versus the unvaxxed. The unvaxxed are more prone to end up in the hospital and dying. It seems pretty clear to me....get the vaccine and the chance of getting Covid and passing it on to other people are greatly reduced with vaccinations.

Vaccinated people are less likely to spread Covid, new research finds
People who are vaccinated against Covid-19 are less likely to spread the virus even if they become infected, a new study finds, adding to a growing body of evidence that vaccines can reduce transmission of the delta variant.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1280583
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 1:49 pm
fluffy wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 4:16 am Merry, you've posted plague statistics from the dark ages
I wasn’t the original poster of that chart. However, I think comparing Covid numbers to the more recent pandemics, such as the Spanish flu and HIV, do help put this latest one into perspective. Because, even though healthcare has come a long way since the days of the Spanish flu, memories of the devastation that particular pandemic wrought helped fuel much of the fear mongering during this current pandemic. So it’s important for people to understand that, although serious, the situation is nowhere near as bad now as it was back then.
That might be the case but there wasn't an insane political divide over the Pandemic like there is now. Trump is culprit #1 for that divide. I'm sure the death results would have been far far less if Trump had acted like a leader that cared about the people he leads and went along with the recommendation of scientists and healthcare workers instead of acting like an obstructionist at every turn.

Return to “Social Concerns”