Covid protests and the media

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister
Posts: 487
Joined: Jan 28th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Covid protests and the media

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

It is interesting how the politicians, public and the media and those who feign outrage describe or not, what they choose to report.
Case in point is the Penticton editor of the Daily Courier commenting on Wednesday's protest outside Kelowna General Hospital.
James Miller refers to a "an illegal protest";mobs; goons.
Miller, whose talents really lie in writing columns about"rock stars that died too soon"goes on to suggest: "our original thoughts were to ignore them"Don't give them fame or notoriety"
Some might call this selective editing or censorship.
What did the paper do? It highlighted an anti protester.Miller also suggested "the rally put people in danger and should have been shut down"
A few thoughts:
There was a protest rally in Kerry park Saturday. No media coverage, in spite of an anti protester being apprehended by police.
Also, Maxine Bernier who will be speaking today is not mentioned. Bernier of course speaks outside the norm in Canadian politics.
Finally, Anti abortionists have been parading outside KGH for 15 years, Displaying peculiar signs, blocking sidewalks.
Their parade unless I missed it, did not upset the health workers inside.
And, certainly not a peep from our politicians.
cr125
Fledgling
Posts: 338
Joined: Oct 10th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by cr125 »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm
Finally, Anti abortionists have been parading outside KGH for 15 years, Displaying peculiar signs, blocking sidewalks.

No one should protest outside a Hospital, go find an empty lot/street corner where no one gives a *bleep*. I wonder if these people would like it if a thousand people showed up on their front lawn and started yelling and honking horns.
Have some respect,
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14775
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by MAPearce »

The medias coverage of the protest is / was abysmal . As much as the protest was disgusting , the medias and Sugar Plum comments do more to encourage these protests than they do to discourage it ..

Telling lies about went on and the following emoting from Dr's , etc about how it "impacted" them and frightened patients is garbage .. If health care workers and the media want any credibility they should stop with the disingenuousness and just tell the truth .
I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .
User avatar
mexi cali
Guru
Posts: 8592
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by mexi cali »

My wife works in the area of the hospital and is there quite regularly for meetings. As such, she talks with KGH staff a lot and as the "demonstration/rally/gathering was happening, she was hearing from some of them in real time.

There were indeed participants who were getting in the face of staffers/visitors/ambulances and trying to intimidate them, especially visible hospital workers.

They were enough of an interference that many missed appointments because they either couldn't find parking or were "blocked" from entering the hospital.

Some were afraid to get into the mass so they simply walked away.

Just because you say that it was a peaceful demonstration doesn't mean that it was.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
heycarmelina
Posts: 71
Joined: Jun 21st, 2010, 1:52 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by heycarmelina »

MAPearce wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 1:19 pm The medias coverage of the protest is / was abysmal . As much as the protest was disgusting , the medias and Sugar Plum comments do more to encourage these protests than they do to discourage it ..

Telling lies about went on and the following emoting from Dr's , etc about how it "impacted" them and frightened patients is garbage .. If health care workers and the media want any credibility they should stop with the disingenuousness and just tell the truth .
What are Healthcare workers lying about? You don't agree with what they are saying so we must be lying? I would love for you to go through nursing school or medical school and work during a pandemic. May change your mind pretty fast.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14775
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by MAPearce »

What are Healthcare workers lying about? You don't agree with what they are saying so we must be lying? I would love for you to go through nursing school or medical school and work during a pandemic. May change your mind pretty fast.
Nope .. You don't have to go through all that to be able to read ..

I've read your "science" and the latter ..

Sadly , only the "science" that supports the dogma is being considered now . There is good and bad in EVERYTHING .

Remember that .
I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by Ken7 »

I have to say I'm not a Mayor Basran fan.

He was spot on with his comments, "shows the mentality" those protesting apparently believe the hospital sets Covid policy.
heycarmelina
Posts: 71
Joined: Jun 21st, 2010, 1:52 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by heycarmelina »

MAPearce wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 2:53 pm
What are Healthcare workers lying about? You don't agree with what they are saying so we must be lying? I would love for you to go through nursing school or medical school and work during a pandemic. May change your mind pretty fast.
Nope .. You don't have to go through all that to be able to read ..

I've read your "science" and the latter ..

Sadly , only the "science" that supports the dogma is being considered now . There is good and bad in EVERYTHING .

Remember that .
I hope you never need medical attention.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14775
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by MAPearce »

I hope you never need medical attention.
Hey ! Carmelina .... I hope none of your colleague's read this and identify you to your superiors .... Because THAT sounds like a threat .

But , I'm all good . I get that from home ..nudge, nudge ..wink , wink .......... :up:
Last edited by MAPearce on Sep 5th, 2021, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .
heycarmelina
Posts: 71
Joined: Jun 21st, 2010, 1:52 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by heycarmelina »

MAPearce wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 7:08 pm
I hope you never need medical attention.
Hey ! Carmelina .... I hope none of your colleague's read this and identify you to your superiors .... Because THAT sounds like a threat .

But , I'm all good . I get that from home ..nudge, nudge ..wink , wink .......... :up:
I'm just saying you don't believe in science you shouldn't come to the hospital wasting resources. Not threatening at all. More of an opinion. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 6th, 2021, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Tankur
Fledgling
Posts: 150
Joined: Dec 9th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by Tankur »

heycarmelina wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 6:56 pm
MAPearce wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Nope .. You don't have to go through all that to be able to read ..

I've read your "science" and the latter ..

Sadly , only the "science" that supports the dogma is being considered now . There is good and bad in EVERYTHING .

Remember that .
I hope you never need medical attention.
Same can be said for those contracting the virus that are double vaccinated. Yet , the vaccinated are still getting sick and transmitting the virus. There is a reason why we have the most cases and the most vaxxed in the country. It is not a coincidence at all. Wake up
Tankur
Fledgling
Posts: 150
Joined: Dec 9th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by Tankur »

MAPearce wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 7:08 pm
I hope you never need medical attention.
Hey ! Carmelina .... I hope none of your colleague's read this and identify you to your superiors .... Because THAT sounds like a threat .

But , I'm all good . I get that from home ..nudge, nudge ..wink , wink .......... :up:
It does not even remotely look like a threat lol
Tankur
Fledgling
Posts: 150
Joined: Dec 9th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by Tankur »

What I find absolutely ridiculous is that businesses are set to cater to the vaccine passports one telling me yesterday that the older customers are double vaxxed and that’s who they really care about. Not us young couple who tip 20-25% for the last years going out of way to help small businesses survive as they put it. Now we can’t support at all as we are not going to be partaking in the passport exp. just thought that was hilarious. Unfortunately will never support that business again and have been regulars there for over 5 years
Tankur
Fledgling
Posts: 150
Joined: Dec 9th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by Tankur »

I love the fact the op states other protests with no coverage etc no one bats an eye ..everyone so fixated on the fact that this happened where it did . Realize one thing the protest happened at the hospital because medical professionals are advocating something a lot don’t want. I’m sorry you guys can’t figure that out
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25726
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Covid protests and the media

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 6th, 2021, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Social Concerns”