Blame the Victim Excuse the Perp

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dgb

Re: Blame the Victim Excuse the Perp

Post by dgb »

GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 10:39 am Break & entering charge for a repeat offender should result in 1 way ticket to 200km east of Tuktoyaktuk
That would be Paulatuk, NT. So by your logic, "repeat offenders" in Paulatuk should be sent to Kelowna?
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Some good posts, some just nonsensical on how to combat criminal activity in cities like Kelowna.
What was missing was a proposed solution that must revolve around all of the community.
I attempted to detail this in a post yesterday, but it appeared not to make it past the censors.
While important elements of the community are part of the problem, they don't like to be reminded.
Bring these elements to the fore and you are told you cannot do this.
So, until the community decides all in it might be part of the problem, the finger pointing and the crime simply continues.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 10:39 am Break & entering charge for a repeat offender should result in 1 way ticket to 200km east of Tuktoyaktuk
It works out to be around here: 69.521562, -128.000541
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dgb

Post by dgb »

GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 1:00 pm
It works out to be around here: 69.521562, -128.000541
Yes .. and the nearest hamlet is Paulatuk.

Let me rephrase the question: how would offloading our societal issues on a community even less equipped to deal with it solve anything?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

dgb wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 12:12 pm
That would be Paulatuk, NT. So by your logic, "repeat offenders" in Paulatuk should be sent to Kelowna?
Not sure if those being dropped off would be able or willing to walk 160km... or know which direction to walk in (especially when whiteout condition come along).

Since our current justice system just gives these individuals a light slap on the wrist and back on streets to get caught again & again & again etc...etc.

Added later: there is a car wash in Kelowna having to spend thousands of dollars repairing equipment, for what tokens because thieves don’t understand their no actual money inside.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dgb

Post by dgb »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 12:37 pm Some good posts, some just nonsensical on how to combat criminal activity in cities like Kelowna.
What was missing was a proposed solution that must revolve around all of the community.
I attempted to detail this in a post yesterday, but it appeared not to make it past the censors.
While important elements of the community are part of the problem, they don't like to be reminded.
So, until the community decides all in it might be part of the problem, the finger pointing and the crime simply continues.
Good post. Reminded me of this quote:

"How a society treats its most vulnerable is always the measure of its humanity." - Matthew Rycroft CBE, 2015.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

dgb wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Mrmarvingardens wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 12:37 pm Some good posts, some just nonsensical on how to combat criminal activity in cities like Kelowna.

"How a society treats its most vulnerable is always the measure of its humanity." - Matthew Rycroft CBE, 2015.
Yes. It appears that the law-abiding, tax paying citizens are now the most vulnerable. They are the victims.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
dgb

Post by dgb »

gardengirl wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 3:02 pm
dgb wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Yes. It appears that the law-abiding, tax paying citizens are now the most vulnerable. They are the victims.
Sure, a few business owners are more vulnerable than than the hundreds of homeless scraping by day-to-day in *our* community with addiction and/or mental health issues. Ok.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

dgb wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm Sure, a few business owners are more vulnerable than than the hundreds of homeless scraping by day-to-day in *our* community with addiction and/or mental health issues. Ok.
So the business owners should accept the continual theft of and destruction to their property ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Sure, a few business owners are more vulnerable than than the hundreds of homeless scraping by day-to-day in *our* community with addiction and/or mental health issues. Ok.
This , right here , is the attitude that will perpetuate if not normalize the criminal activity business owners and their staff deal with everyday ..

Sad really .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Not sure if those being dropped off would be able or willing to walk 160km... or know which direction to walk in (especially when whiteout condition come along).
If you want them dead, just say so. And if you'd be willing to pull the trigger each time, say that too.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

omg, seems half the City is serving the " homeless" they aren't homeless btw, they chose a certain Lifestyle
The people committing the crimes know ZERO is going to happen to them if they do get caught, we read the stories how they get caught over and over for the same offenses

I feel badly for the business Owners, who have staff, and they all pay taxes to help fund said " homelessmess"
Imagine going here is free housing, food, better medical service than I can get at the Hospital only to have them rob you

About now I'd be getting guard dogs named Sudden and Death to keep my business secure
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 4:44 pm
About now I'd be getting guard dogs named Sudden and Death to keep my business secure
Robocop...
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dgb

Post by dgb »

It's good to see folks here opening their eyes to the fact that Kelowna does have a homeless problem. It's regrettable that it took an apparent uptick in crime in some neighbourhoods to effect a renewed interest in some of the societal issues we are all grappling with.

Some of us are only a paycheque or two away from living on the street. In 2020, at least 297 people were experiencing homelessness in the Kelowna. As someone who has volunteered for this marginalized part of our society, I assure you that homelessness is not a "choice". And, yes, marginalized people often commit desperate acts, to survive.

Moving the homeless elsewhere, building more jails, or allowing the homeless to die will solve nothing. Instead of focussing on the symptoms of homelessness, how about looking at its root causes. Be a part of the solution. Volunteer at a homeless shelter. Write your MP/MLA. Go to a council meeting. Talk to someone who is living on the street. Contribute to a local charity. Say hi to your neighbour.

Ostracising the most vulnerable members of our society will only exacerbate the issues. For everyone. Peace.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

dgb wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 5:52 pm It's good to see folks here opening their eyes to the fact that Kelowna does have a homeless problem. It's regrettable that it took an apparent uptick in crime in some neighbourhoods to effect a renewed interest in some of the societal issues we are all grappling with.

Some of us are only a paycheque or two away from living on the street. In 2020, at least 297 people were experiencing homelessness in the Kelowna. As someone who has volunteered for this marginalized part of our society, I assure you that homelessness is not a "choice". And, yes, marginalized people often commit desperate acts, to survive.

Moving the homeless elsewhere, building more jails, or allowing the homeless to die will solve nothing. Instead of focussing on the symptoms of homelessness, how about looking at its root causes. Be a part of the solution. Volunteer at a homeless shelter. Write your MP/MLA. Go to a council meeting. Talk to someone who is living on the street. Contribute to a local charity. Say hi to your neighbour.

Ostracising the most vulnerable members of our society will only exacerbate the issues. For everyone. Peace.

It's not the homeless that people are against. It's the criminal element that everyone has a problem with. If you break the law willingly the reason why doesn't matter. You need punished and a chance to be rehabilitated. Repeat offenders need lengthy sentences.

Return to “Social Concerns”