What would you do if someone did this to your daughter?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

What would you do if someone did this to your daughter?

Post by Glacier »

What would be your response if you found out your daughter's boyfriend sold her to a sex traffic ring?

A Spokane father took matters into his own hands when this happened to him... https://torontosun.com/news/world/cops- ... raffickers
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
foenix
Guru

Re: What would you do if someone did this to your daughter?

Post by foenix »

That's a tough question.....not sure what I would do.....but I might grab a lead pipe and beat him short of death tho'. I certainly wouldn't turn the other cheek.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

The exact same thing as that dad did
spooker

Post by spooker »

What would I do? I can't say ...

... the mods would just paste a big *removed* if I actually wrote what went through my mind ...

On the other hand, I'm not a proponent of the death penalty ... violence rarely solves anything, though in the moment it certainly seems like it would feel good ...

I just hope that I'm not presented with the same situation so that these thoughts will just stay inside the grey matter in my skull ...
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I didn't read the article.

It is important to be mindful that your actions could re traumatize and/or add additional trauma to the victim.

Many peoples instinct is to harm and/or kill the offender. It is truly horrific what has happened and unless you have been through it yourself it's hard to comprehend the damage that has occurred.

Killing the offender often leads to additional traumas to the victim. Not only do they have manage the trauma of the events but now they have to navigate feelings of guilt and fear that they also lead to the death of another person whether or not that person has done horrible acts. It also can create feelings of quilt and hurt that the trusted person whom took this perpetrators life may end up in prison, and have consequences to their actions that cause struggles in their family.

It also set up a scenario that the victim may no longer seek help and support from the trusted loved one for fears of the above mention which can prolong their grief and healing.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Oh no, kids gotta end up dead, that's the right call I feel. I just maybe would have gone about it smarter.

Much like the Brian Laundrie events I'd think there is the "he killed himself" and the possible "Gabrielle Petito's dad made sure it looked like he killed himself" options
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I agree with Weather Woman.
The cost of legal defense, loss of his employment funds and possibly the dad spending significant time in jail only adds to the daughter's and the rest of the family's hardship.
While most of us may think the world is better off without the man who was killed, I don't think the dad and his family are.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I'm always intrigued by the people who think their kids would be happier with vengeance rather than having their parents in their lives and not in jail.

It seems to be a selfish response that only considers the parent's own feelings of anger and not what's actually best for their child.

I don't blame them for being angry, but I would blame them for not being able to be a supportive and caring parent because they're in jail. Losing a parent to jail would just make an already terrible situation even worse for the child.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Onlyfans and Instagram are selling MILLIONS of girls into sex slavery.

350,000 girls signed up in a month when they were facing homeless and starvation when they lost their jobs to COVID.

By choice? Sure. You have a choice to starve or sell your body. Choose.

Don't hate the player hate the game.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Vacancyrate wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 2:59 pm Onlyfans and Instagram are selling MILLIONS of girls into sex slavery.

350,000 girls signed up in a month when they were facing homeless and starvation when they lost their jobs to COVID.

By choice? Sure. You have a choice to starve or sell your body. Choose.

Don't hate the player hate the game.
Someone personally making a choice and being sold by your boyfriend are vastly different things. However I do agree that Instagram and Only Fans are trash.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Veovis wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 3:27 pm Someone personally making a choice and being sold by your boyfriend are vastly different things.
If you have a gun of poverty to your head it's not a choice.

Sex is for sale in our society. It's one of the pillars of capitalism.

We sell g-strings to pre teens. We make young boys feel suicidal about their looks for profit purposes.

This whole "her boyfriend forced her" is totally subjective.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 3:44 pm If you have a gun of poverty to your head it's not a choice.
No, it's called morals and many people live by them. So many resources in this country. One doesn't need to resort to prostitution. It's a choice that's made. Maybe to buy drugs, maybe for other reasons. End of the day we have free access to food and shelters for those who need it.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Glacier wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 10:51 am What would be your response if you found out your daughter's boyfriend sold her to a sex traffic ring?
Mr. Teittleman: - Do you have a daughter, Mr. Soprano?
Tony Soprano: - Yes. Call me Tony.
Mr. Teittleman: - What would you do if your daughter was abused by her husband?
Tony Soprano: - I'd talk to him.
Silvio Dante: - Yeah, in "Ball Peen Hammer".
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Sparki55 wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 4:01 pm No, it's called morals and many people live by them. So many resources in this country. One doesn't need to resort to prostitution. It's a choice that's made. Maybe to buy drugs, maybe for other reasons. End of the day we have free access to food and shelters for those who need it.
Well one could argue the stereotype of using those specific services (food banks, shelters, welfare). Society looks down on people who use those services (you don't have to look very deep into these forums to find out), some people will do whatever they can to get by before using social services.

As well, not everyone has such a stigmatizing and negative view on sex workers. It is 2021, and we are able to understand that someone can have morals and be a sex worker. A woman I know from school is on OnlyFans, and she is bringing in insane money. She was able to buy a house, a new truck, create a retirement and saving fund, while also paying her fair share of taxes. Nothing she was able to do with her job before. She wasn't starving or homeless, it was a decision she made to do and that is okay.
hail Satan y'all
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

It is the oldest profession around. But really it needs to be fully legalized and supported. Then issues of girls being sold get reduced....hopefully

Return to “Social Concerns”