Affordable Housing Solutions

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Affordable Housing Solutions

Post by kgcayenne »

About all I observe on this topic at the moment is that: Human decency cannot be ‘legislated’, therefore, for-profit developers will either build where they can profit, or simply not build. They do not care about people—unless they can achieve adequate gains.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

kgcayenne wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 3:06 pmThey do not care about people—unless they can achieve adequate gains.
In a roundabout way - yes. Businesses are created to make money. There are non for profit organizations that are created with no profit in mind and we have those in Kelowna too.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Even Steven wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 3:10 pm
kgcayenne wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 3:06 pmThey do not care about people—unless they can achieve adequate gains.
In a roundabout way - yes. Businesses are created to make money. There are non for profit organizations that are created with no profit in mind and we have those in Kelowna too.
Those nonprofit usually are rentals i.e Knight of Columbus or Society of Hope etc
Habitat for Humanity is a different story, unfortunately they build one at time, I suspect wait list is extremely long.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

GordonH wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 3:40 pm Those nonprofit usually are rentals i.e Knight of Columbus or Society of Hope etc
Yes. They charge below the market rate. Did you expect free?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I remember something about Habitat for Humanity from years ago but haven’t followed up on it since. I believe Jimmy Carter was forefront on this idea, and that was that the new homeowner contributed whatever cash they could raise PLUS they put in their “sweat equity” into the project which was required as a condition of the build. At that time, 15-20 years ago, it seemed like a successful plan, especially for those who truly wanted a home of their own.

“Sweat equity” means landscaping, helping to raise walls, painting, etc…whatever they could perform in the way of work.

Yes, it’d be a one at a time thing, unless more citizens and corporations kicked in and perhaps get in the end, more affordable housing units built and lived in. There are many retired carpenters, electricians and drywallers that might be interested in helping out.

I am all for this situation with the conditions as laid out above, but not for the we, the taxpayer, build and pay for homes, allowing some with no or little consideration for their new abode to just move in, put up feet, turn on TV, have a party. We have already heard about the free housing supplied and find that they become nothing more than trashed, damaged and uninhabitable after a few months. Repairs done at taxpayer expense, rinse, repeat.

Sweat equity is a great idea imo. That way the homeowner sees his work, money and time as something precious and not as a gift.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

BC Landlord wrote: May 21st, 2022, 4:23 pm I still have a couple of rental properties in Calgary. Haven't raised rents in three years, nor am I going to this year.
You can raise the rents in Calgary. Rents have gone up and the msm is featuring sad stories of single-mom-of-three-with-five-dogs-who-can't-afford-the-high-rent on the 6 o'clock news.

~
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Rejigger wrote: May 27th, 2022, 10:04 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 21st, 2022, 4:23 pm I still have a couple of rental properties in Calgary. Haven't raised rents in three years, nor am I going to this year.
You can raise the rents in Calgary. Rents have gone up and the msm is featuring sad stories of single-mom-of-three-with-five-dogs-who-can't-afford-the-high-rent on the 6 o'clock news.

~
Single mom.
Three kids.
Five dogs.

Media loves it and milk it when they find landlords as evil as Stalin.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

bb49 wrote: May 28th, 2022, 4:44 pm

~
Single mom.
Three kids.
Five dogs.

Media loves it and milk it when they find landlords as evil as Stalin.
5 dogs would be against kelowna city bylaws (3 licensed adult dogs) I'm sure other places have similar regs. Bet she could afford rents without have to care for that many animals.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

This story is a litmus test. Some will sympathize with her, while others will see the role she plays in her situation. Of note, when asked what she'll do if she can't find a place to rent by the end of May, she answered that she doesn't know. She has no Plan B. What the? Stellar mom raising stellar kids (the world owes me).

~
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Rejigger wrote: May 29th, 2022, 9:35 am This story is a litmus test. Some will sympathize with her, while others will see the role she plays in her situation. Of note, when asked what she'll do if she can't find a place to rent by the end of May, she answered that she doesn't know. She has no Plan B. What the? Stellar mom raising stellar kids (the world owes me).

~
Where is this ‘msm report’? did I miss the link? Here I thought this was some person us using a hyperbole for effect. I can’t imagine someone thinking it’s a good idea to have 3 kids and 5 dogs… dogs are way more obedient.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

kgcayenne wrote: May 29th, 2022, 10:39 am
Rejigger wrote: May 29th, 2022, 9:35 am This story is a litmus test. Some will sympathize with her, while others will see the role she plays in her situation. Of note, when asked what she'll do if she can't find a place to rent by the end of May, she answered that she doesn't know. She has no Plan B. What the? Stellar mom raising stellar kids (the world owes me).

~
Where is this ‘msm report’? did I miss the link? Here I thought this was some person us using a hyperbole for effect. I can’t imagine someone thinking it’s a good idea to have 3 kids and 5 dogs… dogs are way more obedient.
The poster in this thread was referring to a rental property in Calgary. News reports out of Calgary reflect high rents and "gouging" tenants. Global News featured the mom of three kids and five dogs with no plan b.

~
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

kgcayenne wrote: May 29th, 2022, 10:39 am Where is this ‘msm report’? did I miss the link? Here I thought this was some person us using a hyperbole for effect. I can’t imagine someone thinking it’s a good idea to have 3 kids and 5 dogs… dogs are way more obedient.

:spitcoffee: :laugh: :laugh:

AND it is okay to put them in a cage.
Bring back the LIKE button.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

~
Can you help me out by posting that article, seriously, I need to see for myself, otherwise it is hyperbole and I will feel justified in dismissing your post as such.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

kgcayenne wrote: May 29th, 2022, 12:45 pm

~
Can you help me out by posting that article, seriously, I need to see for myself, otherwise it is hyperbole and I will feel justified in dismissing your post as such.
A search supports your belief kgcayenne.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

If you're a single mom with 3 kids and you have 5 dogs rent isnt the problem
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY

Return to “Social Concerns”