Is virtual abuse real abuse

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
VaxisSafe
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Is virtual abuse real abuse

Post by VaxisSafe »

oldtrucker wrote: Mar 28th, 2022, 11:18 am
VaxisSafe wrote: Mar 28th, 2022, 11:09 am

GTA 5 doesn't have life-like nude models of real people so how is it relevant to this conversation in the slightest?
Aren't you impressed I know about gta5?

"Jesus your generation chooses random hills to die on"
- Rick Sanchez.
( Hey, the quote is about as valid as a avatar)
No I'm not. Unless you're using the game to send people hate messages or sonething it's not relevant.
ekir8
Board Meister

Post by ekir8 »

From the article:
However, as online users are finding out, contempt toward women and resulting inappropriate behaviour isn’t confined to the real world; it’s happening in the virtual world as well.
And that's just one example! In fact, the terms "women" and "female" are used a combined six times in this article yet I fail to see any authoritative input from an accredited biologist to confirm the definition of these terms in order to ensure that this acutely specific terminology is being used appropriately and not in a manner which hatefully rejects the lived experience of those whom the article is attempting to describe. Furthermore, I find it troubling that this article is so open to assigning definitive character traits to a diverse range of peoplekind without first obtaining and sharing the source expert opinion of an accredited biologist who can verify that those being described within this "news article" are, in fact, all exclusively "women". In other words, "source?!?".

This written piece is jarringly violent rhetoric in that it is mysoginistic, transphobic, homophobic, hetero-normative, cis-normative, transspeciesphobic and is a quite clearly a dogwhistle for white supremacy. I have taken it upon myself to file a complaint to the Human Rights Tribunal in hopes that those responsible to for disseminating this anti-science violent nazi racist bigoted problematic hate speech will be brought to swift justice as well as being publicly humiliated for their actions.

I'm so so so so sorry to each and every sentient lifeform who read and was violated by the abusive language used within this hate-filled article. We must all join together to put an end to this dangerous behavior in order to create a world that is inclusive for all of us*.

*those of us who hold authorized views
Bigbacardi
Übergod

Post by Bigbacardi »

Remember the old video game....leisure suit Larry? And the land of the lounge lizards.
I never got arrested there, I gave the prostitute herpes,lol and I never actually verified her age....
Remember, you are unique......Just like everybody else...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bigbacardi wrote: Apr 4th, 2022, 4:50 pm Remember the old video game....leisure suit Larry? And the land of the lounge lizards.
I never got arrested there, I gave the prostitute herpes,lol and I never actually verified her age....
Don't believe that was a virtual reality game.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Fancy wrote: Apr 4th, 2022, 7:36 pm Don't believe that was a virtual reality game.
Define a virtual reality game then. Isn't most forms of entertainment virtual reality? Is escaping from reality any different? The lines merge into one if you ask me.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

hozzle wrote: Apr 4th, 2022, 7:42 pm
Fancy wrote: Apr 4th, 2022, 7:36 pm Don't believe that was a virtual reality game.
Define a virtual reality game then. Isn't most forms of entertainment virtual reality? Is escaping from reality any different? The lines merge into one if you ask me.
I thought it obvious but here's an explanation:
The game may be played with an Oculus Rift S or Oculus Quest 2 virtual reality headset and uses full 3D motion via the motion capture system of the headset and two hand-held motion controllers, which are required to interact with objects in the game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_W ... the%20game.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Fancy wrote: Apr 4th, 2022, 8:26 pm
hozzle wrote: Apr 4th, 2022, 7:42 pm
The game may be played with an Oculus Rift S or Oculus Quest 2 virtual reality headset and uses full 3D motion via the motion capture system of the headset and two hand-held motion controllers, which are required to interact with objects in the game.
That is a really weak attempt at explaining VR. To tag it with a product is not comprehensive enough.
Even before the printing press was invented, story telling and then book reading could be interpreted as virtual reality. Moving pictures were at one time considered virtual reality. The medium has changed over time but human imagination is at the root of virtual reality not the media.
I though it was obvious but there's my explanation.

If you want wiki's then here:
Virtual reality (VR) is a simulated experience that can be similar to or completely different from the real world. Applications of virtual reality include entertainment (particularly video games), education (such as medical or military training) and business (such as virtual meetings). Other distinct types of VR-style technology include augmented reality and mixed reality, sometimes referred to as extended reality or XR.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

hozzle wrote: Apr 4th, 2022, 11:38 pm
Fancy wrote: Apr 4th, 2022, 8:26 pm

That is a really weak attempt at explaining VR. To tag it with a product is not comprehensive enough.
Even before the printing press was invented, story telling and then book reading could be interpreted as virtual reality. Moving pictures were at one time considered virtual reality. The medium has changed over time but human imagination is at the root of virtual reality not the media.
I though it was obvious but there's my explanation. You obviously didn't realize the product, Horizon Worlds, was the issue.

If you want wiki's then here:
Virtual reality (VR) is a simulated experience that can be similar to or completely different from the real world. Applications of virtual reality include entertainment (particularly video games), education (such as medical or military training) and business (such as virtual meetings). Other distinct types of VR-style technology include augmented reality and mixed reality, sometimes referred to as extended reality or XR.
The rest of the explanation:
Currently, standard virtual reality systems use either virtual reality headsets or multi-projected environments to generate realistic images, sounds and other sensations that simulate a user's physical presence in a virtual environment.
Wasn't anything weak about the explanation. You obviously didn't realize the product, Horizon Worlds, was the issue.
More here:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/1 ... g-problem/
Last edited by Fancy on Apr 5th, 2022, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigbacardi
Übergod

Post by Bigbacardi »

Trying to define VR is going to be very hard.
Back in the day, leisure suit Larry was the fershizzlesnizzle. That would be VR in its infancy...
Just cause I wasn't wearing virtual goggles does not mean it's not VR....
Like what was posted earlier, a book, story time,that can be VR, as the mind can be lost in the abyss of the imagination.
I'm sorry if that does not fit your 100% definition of VR fancy, you may want to try some grey in your life, instead of being so black & white.
Remember, you are unique......Just like everybody else...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bigbacardi wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 7:23 am Trying to define VR is going to be very hard.
Back in the day, leisure suit Larry was the fershizzlesnizzle. That would be VR in its infancy...
Like what was posted earlier, a book, story time,that can be VR, as the mind can be lost in the abyss of the imagination.
I'm sorry if that does not fit your 100% definition of VR fancy, you may want to try some grey in your life, instead of being so black & white.
It's not my definition and I'm not the topic.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Currently, standard virtual reality systems use either virtual reality headsets or multi-projected environments to generate realistic images, sounds and other sensations that simulate a user's physical presence in a virtual environment.
I believe it involved a virtual reality headset environment that started the discussion.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Apparently the fix is in:
After reports of rampant virtual harassment and groping within Facebook’s Horizon Worlds metaverse, Facebook has decided to just be done with it by putting everyone into their own little bubble.

As spotted by Ars Technica, users in Meta’s metaverse, called Horizon Worlds, are now being given a 4-foot cylinder of “personal space” which other users won’t be able to get inside of in order to touch your unmentionables.
https://mspoweruser.com/facebook-metave ... ers-apart/
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Fancy wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 7:37 am Apparently the fix is in:
After reports of rampant virtual harassment and groping within Facebook’s Horizon Worlds metaverse, Facebook has decided to just be done with it by putting everyone into their own little bubble.

As spotted by Ars Technica, users in Meta’s metaverse, called Horizon Worlds, are now being given a 4-foot cylinder of “personal space” which other users won’t be able to get inside of in order to touch your unmentionables.
https://mspoweruser.com/facebook-metave ... ers-apart/
Ingenious. lol. Isn't it better just to sue the whole world? It doesn't stop you from scratching or revealing your own unmentionables, and it stops you from kissing your wife or husband. Makes it that much more fake, with less reality.

I remember Leisure Suit Larry (and the music). Had to answer questions to determine if one is over 18 before playing. lol. Hilarious game from the era when humans weren't offensive. "Space Quest" too and the senses icons. You could select the "tongue" icon, click it on your character, and the narrator would say "I bet you wish you could". lol. We need an AI narrator in Meta.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Bigbacardi wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 7:23 am Trying to define VR is going to be very hard.
Like what was posted earlier, a book, story time, that can be VR, as the mind can be lost in the abyss of the imagination.
Exactly. It is like defining AI. Such terms have crept over the decades since we need marketing terminology to indicate products are improving. There is no AI, and there is no VR.

VR is NOT defined by a set of goggles, although marketing would have you think so. Why would gluing two small monitors to your eyeballs be any different than two large screens two feet away on your desk? It will feel a little more immersive and give a unique 3D effect, but it is no where near the virtual reality engineers were reaching for 40 years ago when Disney's Tron gave us fantasies about VR. Virtual Reality originally used to mean an environment that can't be distinguished from the real environment. Were talking Holodeck technology if it existed. Needless to say, this never really happened.
AI as well, there is no AI. We have complex algorithms that can give an appearance of AI, but there is no general AI and it won't exist in our lifetime.

What we have today is fake virtual reality.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jlabute wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 9:01 am ....
VR is NOT defined by a set of goggles, although marketing would have you think so. ...
Thought this was self-explanatory too:
multi-projected environments to generate realistic images,

Return to “Social Concerns”