Drive Thru's

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Nugget44

Drive Thru's

Post by Nugget44 »

I find it interesting some city councilors want to block drive thru's.

Given the recent pandemic and social distancing the dive thru was a fantastic way to grab a coffee or meal in the confines of your own vehicle. if they removed the drive thru where will people park? Tim Hortons on Hwy 33 is a prime example, parking lot is full and 12 people in the drive thru line where would those 12 park if there was no drive thru?

I understand what the councilor is trying to achieve but there are better ways to get there opposed to banning all drive thru's.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... rus#364982
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Drive Thru's

Post by Fancy »

He's sticking to his beliefs but is only one vote. As long as the line-ups aren't impeding the highway I'm sure the development will go through.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Nugget44 wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 7:34 am I find it interesting some city councilors want to block drive thru's.
I agree. Though I don't think drive thru's are any good for the environment, I also don't think large parking lots are either. Besides, I suspect I'm not alone here, but pandemic or otherwise, I don't like to go inside fast food restaurants. I will, however, use the drive thru. Imo, it would hurt their businesses to not have a drive-thru which I suspect is why they all want one.

Really once we're all electric, the drive thru won't be so bad.

I would actually prefer to see restaurants with drive thru's and no parking lot. Or just a tiny one for staff.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Drive thrus aren't good for the environment and they just continue to promote our reliance on "conveniences" ...
A city report found that the drive-thru line could block a lane of traffic for up to 91 minutes on weekdays and up to 155 minutes on weekends.
https://www.khou.com/article/money/busi ... 39976fd3ec
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Seems the traffic flow wasn't designed to accommodate a drive-thru there but the Starbucks one at Dilworth I'm sure will be set up differently so as not to impede any lane.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

spooker wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 9:03 am Drive thrus aren't good for the environment and they just continue to promote our reliance on "conveniences" ...
A city report found that the drive-thru line could block a lane of traffic for up to 91 minutes on weekdays and up to 155 minutes on weekends.
How exactly are large parking lots better for the environment? and dont bother responding with your typical pedal a bike garbage because its not practical for the majority of us in the real world
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Boosted632 wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 10:40 am
spooker wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 9:03 am Drive thrus aren't good for the environment and they just continue to promote our reliance on "conveniences" ...

How exactly are large parking lots better for the environment? ...
No one said parking lots are better.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Fancy wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 10:47 am
How exactly are large parking lots better for the environment? ...
No one said parking lots are better.
Well its one or the other or a combination of both
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

youjustcomplain wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 8:04 am Really once we're all electric, the drive thru won't be so bad.
Won't happen. Just the elite will own cars. Nobody will be able to afford an electric car once ICEs are mandated out of production in Canada.
More automakers are pledging to go all-electric by 2030 or 2040. That means they’ll need leviathan amounts of lithium for their cars. Without it, they have no products. In other words, as more EVs are introduced, the demand will only grow exponentially.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-lithium-run-out/
Nugget44

Post by Nugget44 »

Boosted632 wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 10:40 am How exactly are large parking lots better for the environment? and dont bother responding with your typical pedal a bike garbage because its not practical for the majority of us in the real world
:up: :up:

I agree pedal bikes are pretty much useless for family commuting. Having young families who rush home from work, grab the kids and haul them across the city for extra curricular activities not sure how they do this on a bike let alone stop at a drive thru for a quick bite.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nugget44 wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 11:39 am I agree pedal bikes are pretty much useless for family commuting. ...
No one said anything about pedal bikes either.
spooker

Post by spooker »

How exactly are large parking lots better for the environment? and dont bother responding with your typical pedal a bike garbage because its not practical for the majority of us in the real world
Where did I say anything about large parking lots? I think parking lots are pretty stupid too ...
Nugget44 wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 11:39 am I agree pedal bikes are pretty much useless for family commuting. Having young families who rush home from work, grab the kids and haul them across the city for extra curricular activities not sure how they do this on a bike let alone stop at a drive thru for a quick bite.
I'd be glad to answer you but this is the wrong thread ...
Last edited by spooker on Apr 5th, 2022, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nugget44

Post by Nugget44 »

Fancy wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 11:40 am
Nugget44 wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 11:39 am I agree pedal bikes are pretty much useless for family commuting. ...
No one said anything about pedal bikes either.
actually Boosted632 mentioned pedal bikes I was responding to that comment.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There wasn't any reason for that comment either.

Here's the issue:
Kelowna city councillor Loyal Wooldridge is firm in his opposition to drive-thrus within the city.

Wooldridge, who says he can't remember the last time he used a drive-thru, was the lone councillor to vote against issuing a development permit for construction of a new Starbucks on the Dilworth Shopping Centre property.

The restaurant will be built in a corner of the shopping centre at Highway 97 and Leckie Road in a space previously occupied by Taco Time.

That building has since been demolished, and planner Andrew Ferguson says a building of the same size will be constructed in its place.

The former Taco Time also included a drive-thru.
One vote against the drive-thru. The building will get started if it hasn't already and the drive-thru shouldn't affect highway traffic.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

spooker wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 11:43 am
Where did I say anything about large parking lots? I think parking lots are pretty stupid too ...
Nugget44 wrote: Apr 5th, 2022, 11:39 am I agree pedal bikes are pretty much useless for family commuting. Having young families who rush home from work, grab the kids and haul them across the city for extra curricular activities not sure how they do this on a bike let alone stop at a drive thru for a quick bite.
I'd be glad to answer you but this is the wrong thread ...
Ok so no drive thru and no parking lot so i guess they will just deliver with a helicopter or better yet hot air balloon much more environmentally friendly :up: glad we got that sorted out

Return to “Social Concerns”