How our Canadian justice system works today!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
seahawks2884
Fledgling

How our Canadian justice system works today!

Post by seahawks2884 »

No matter what you think of the truck convoy, these comments from former Ft. MacMurray MP Brian Jean are worth thinking about.
----
“You may disagree with the convoy. You may rightly recognize that some of the people involved in the convoy are distasteful or worse.
You may not like Tamara Lich. She may actually be guilty of counselling mischief -- but that hasn’t been proven in court.
But you should still be worried that Tamara Lich isn’t being treated fairly by the courts. And you have to ask why?
When in Canadian history has anyone been kept in jail indefinitely before a trial for mischief? And in this case, she has only been charged with counselling mischief not actually doing any mischief herself.
I did some criminal defense law for many years. I have seen some very nasty, very dangerous people released on bail for serious violent offenses. I can’t remember seeing a normal person with no criminal background kept in jail pending trial on what are obviously minor charges.
Tamara doesn’t own a rig. She doesn't have an air horn to honk. She got a lift to Ottawa with an actual trucker. She seemed eager to get there to express the frustrations that many Albertans share.
At the beginning of the trip, Lich started a GoFundMe campaign for the convoy. It went "viral" and it captured the imagination and the donations of more Canadians than donate to any political party in any year.
As near as I can tell, that's Lich’s real crime. She is in jail because she became the viral financial symbol of the anger of millions of Canadians.
I don’t know Tamara Lich. But I do know a few trusted Albertans who have known her for years. They all say she is pretty much a normal Albertan. Five foot one. Metis. Motherly worry-about-other-people, salt of the earth type. They say she has strong political passions but not much actual political experience or political sophistication.
I have listened to interviews with accountants or lawyers who tried to help some of the normal people involved in the “tiger-by-the-tail” that was the convoy. They make it clear that Lich was working hard to follow the rules on dealing with the money.
By the way, almost none of those millions raised ever got to the truckers, the banks and the government stopped them. All that money is still frozen by a court order. Held for the possible benefit of the people and the lawyers doing a class action suit against the truckers. Lich can’t return the money to donors. She can’t even use it to defend herself.
How Tamara Lich is being treated is not normal under Canadian law.
Every Canadian should be worried. Worried that someone with no criminal history, who isn’t a flight risk, is being kept in jail for minor charges in a non-violent crime, for what appear to be political reasons.
Every Canadian who cares deeply about any political issue should be worried.
Every Canadian who might someday have that one protest idea that unexpectedly “goes viral,” should be deeply concerned about this very bad precedent.”
*copied*
VaxisSafe
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: How our Canadian justice system works today!

Post by VaxisSafe »

I don't see a bad precedent here. The convoy was initiated by far-right people who threatened Trudeau's life, threatened gun-related violence, and threatened democracy.

People should have the wherewithal to research a cause before supporting it. If the cause was initiated by gun-toting crazy people then maybe don't support it. Logic 101.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
seahawks2884
Fledgling

Post by seahawks2884 »

Right on the mark there Hozzle. Great video of what is actually truth vs fiction! Thanks
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

seahawks2884 wrote: Apr 13th, 2022, 2:47 pm No matter what you think of the truck convoy, these comments from former Ft. MacMurray MP Brian Jean are worth thinking about.
----
“You may disagree with the convoy. You may rightly recognize that some of the people involved in the convoy are distasteful or worse.
You may not like Tamara Lich. She may actually be guilty of counselling mischief -- but that hasn’t been proven in court.
But you should still be worried that Tamara Lich isn’t being treated fairly by the courts. And you have to ask why?
When in Canadian history has anyone been kept in jail indefinitely before a trial for mischief? And in this case, she has only been charged with counselling mischief not actually doing any mischief herself.
I did some criminal defense law for many years. I have seen some very nasty, very dangerous people released on bail for serious violent offenses. I can’t remember seeing a normal person with no criminal background kept in jail pending trial on what are obviously minor charges.

Tamara doesn’t own a rig. She doesn't have an air horn to honk. She got a lift to Ottawa with an actual trucker. She seemed eager to get there to express the frustrations that many Albertans share.
At the beginning of the trip, Lich started a GoFundMe campaign for the convoy. It went "viral" and it captured the imagination and the donations of more Canadians than donate to any political party in any year.
As near as I can tell, that's Lich’s real crime. She is in jail because she became the viral financial symbol of the anger of millions of Canadians.

I don’t know Tamara Lich. But I do know a few trusted Albertans who have known her for years. They all say she is pretty much a normal Albertan. Five foot one. Metis. Motherly worry-about-other-people, salt of the earth type. They say she has strong political passions but not much actual political experience or political sophistication.
I have listened to interviews with accountants or lawyers who tried to help some of the normal people involved in the “tiger-by-the-tail” that was the convoy. They make it clear that Lich was working hard to follow the rules on dealing with the money.
By the way, almost none of those millions raised ever got to the truckers, the banks and the government stopped them. All that money is still frozen by a court order. Held for the possible benefit of the people and the lawyers doing a class action suit against the truckers. Lich can’t return the money to donors. She can’t even use it to defend herself.

Every Canadian should be worried. Worried that someone with no criminal history, who isn’t a flight risk, is being kept in jail for minor charges in a non-violent crime, for what appear to be political reasons.
Every Canadian who might someday have that one protest idea that unexpectedly “goes viral,” should be deeply concerned about this very bad precedent.”

The treatment by the government and it’s cohorts of Lich, the truckers and people who contributed to the cause is abysmal and shameful.

History will not look kindly upon this era of gov’t over-reach and over-reaction.

[/quote]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The Cdn banking institutions that bent over without questioning the legality of the EA have a lot to answer for as well.
Misplaced trust?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#365993
Bank of Montreal leaders were asked during the bank's annual shareholder meeting Wednesday if they would "consider a court challenge" after the federal government directed financial institutions in February to freeze accounts of individuals connected to the trucker convoy that took over downtown Ottawa for weeks.

More than 200 bank accounts with a total of nearly $8 million in holdings were impacted after the Emergencies Act was invoked for the first time in Canadian history on Feb. 14. and lifted on Feb. 23.

The shareholder posing the question expressed concern about the safety of customer money, adding that "depositors’ confidence is key to the operation of the bank."
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bigbacardi
Übergod

Post by Bigbacardi »

VaxisSafe wrote: Apr 13th, 2022, 4:26 pm I don't see a bad precedent here. The convoy was initiated by far-right people who threatened Trudeau's life, threatened gun-related violence, and threatened democracy.

People should have the wherewithal to research a cause before supporting it. If the cause was initiated by gun-toting crazy people then maybe don't support it. Logic 101.
Ummm....she has not been charged with any of that.
This is nuts. Talk about political crap gone sideways.
Govt has way overreached on this one, sure hope the correct hands get slapped.
Remember, you are unique......Just like everybody else...
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Catsumi wrote: Apr 13th, 2022, 9:17 pm
seahawks2884 wrote: Apr 13th, 2022, 2:47 pm No matter what you think of the truck convoy, these comments from former Ft. MacMurray MP Brian Jean are worth thinking about.
----

The treatment by the government and it’s cohorts of Lich, the truckers and people who contributed to the cause is abysmal and shameful.

History will not look kindly upon this era of gov’t over-reach and over-reaction.
[/quote]

^^^ :up:
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Keeping Tamara Linch in prison for a misdemeanour charge is something you’d only expect to hear about in some third world banana republic, led by a totalitarian dictator….. It’s blatantly evident that Trudeau is doing whatever he wants to shut down his political enemies by violating their basic human rights…..
Meanwhile in BC there was an extremely violent and dangerous protest where anti-pipeline protesters caused millions of dollars of heavy equipment was destroyed, and security personnel were attacked by protesters wielding axes… those protesters get to walk around free until their court date,
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hurtlander wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 7:47 am Keeping Tamara Linch in prison for a misdemeanour charge is something you’d only expect to hear about in some third world banana republic, led by a totalitarian dictator….. It’s blatantly evident that Trudeau is doing whatever he wants to shut down his political enemies by violating their basic human rights…..
Meanwhile in BC there was an extremely violent and dangerous protest where anti-pipeline protesters caused millions of dollars of heavy equipment was destroyed, and security personnel were attacked by protesters wielding axes… those protesters get to walk around free until their court date,
Was she re-arrested? I thought she was out and a month ago.
Tamara Lich, a high-profile organizer of the ‘Freedom Convoy’ protest, has been released from jail following a bail review.

An Ontario judge ruled Monday that the previous judge who denied Lich bail made errors in law. The Alberta resident was released on $25,000 in bonds and must leave Ottawa within 24 hours and Ontario within 72 hours.
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/bail-review-d ... -1.5807941
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Hurtlander wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 7:47 am Keeping Tamara Linch in prison for a misdemeanour charge is something you’d only expect to hear about in some third world banana republic, led by a totalitarian dictator….. It’s blatantly evident that Trudeau is doing whatever he wants to shut down his political enemies by violating their basic human rights…..
^^ :up: :up:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

She stays there because she can't make bail or is not willing to comply with the court orders.
Last edited by alanjh595 on Apr 14th, 2022, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Lich was never sentenced to prison.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

seahawks2884 wrote: Apr 13th, 2022, 2:47 pm ...
But you should still be worried that Tamara Lich isn’t being treated fairly by the courts. ...
I would suggest researching what you're posting before doing so as that post from Brian Jean was from March 2nd. Lich is NOT in jail nor is she in prison. Bail conditions are also being scrutinized.
Barber and Lich remain out on bail conditions that include the strict supervision of a court-approved surety, and both are restricted from communicating with a growing list of co-accused convoy leaders and participants.
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/accused- ... nce-lawyer

Return to “Social Concerns”