Florida vs Multi billion dollar Disney Corporation

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Florida vs Multi billion dollar Disney Corporation

Post by Queen K »

Came back from falling asleep from this vid

And Bsuds telling me to "google it." Yaaaa I did! :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote: Apr 21st, 2022, 6:06 pm
GordonH wrote: Apr 21st, 2022, 6:04 pm Don’t screw with the Mouse.
Minnie mouse is effing goofy. Poor Mickie.
Swoosh... right over your head.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

From how I understand it, it’s not just a “don’t say gay” bill… it’s also a “don’t say straight” bill as well. And being that discussions about gender identity aren’t allowed, technically the words he, she, him, her, etc… aren’t allowed. The only allowed pronouns under this bill would be they and them.

Words like father, mother, brother, and sister shouldn’t be used either because they involve gender identity.

It’s kind of silly, but in their effort to not overtly say “don’t say gay” they effectively outlawed a lot of words if teachers are supposed to follow the bill precisely… which I don’t think will or should happen either.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite the face. DeathSantis is such a Fool. If the Americans elect him President in 2024, they deserve anything coming to them.

Florida Gov. DeSantis may repeal Disney's special tax status. But tax officials and legislators say the move could leave local taxpayers to cover more than $1 billion in bond debt.
Scott Randolph, the tax collector for Orange County, told CNBC that the Reedy Creek district collects about $105 million a year in general revenue, on top of the more than $280 million Disney pays in property taxes — making it the largest taxpayer in central Florida.........

The legislation approved Thursday by lawmakers seeks to sunset Reedy Creek by June 2023. If dissolved, the responsibility for municipal services then falls upon the neighboring counties of Orange and Osceola.

"If you dissolved Reedy Creek, that $105 million in revenue literally goes away, it doesn't get transferred," Randolph said, therefore saddling taxpayers to cover part, if not all, of the costs............

But aside from responsibility for municipal services, tax experts and legislators also warned that dissolving the district means transferring its bond liabilities — totaling between $1 billion and $1.7 billion — to other local governments, CNBC reported.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/fl ... e9cbb74b72
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Queen K wrote: Apr 21st, 2022, 7:26 pm Came back from falling asleep from this vid

And Bsuds telling me to "google it." Yaaaa I did! :up:
Off topic but perhaps charter schools are better in the US.

It is time for corporations and schools to stay out of culture wars. Schools and playgrounds and homes should not be battlegrounds and Disney will fail fighting against parental rights. Disney stock is down, as is stock for most streaming companies like Netflix. Disney better learn quick. People are tired of rising costs, woke content, less good content. Netflix dropped by 35% this week. These companies have responsibility to their shareholders to make money from their services, not battle ideology.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

foenix wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 6:31 am Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite the face. DeathSantis is such a Fool. If the Americans elect him President in 2024, they deserve anything coming to them.

Florida Gov. DeSantis may repeal Disney's special tax status. But tax officials and legislators say the move could leave local taxpayers to cover more than $1 billion in bond debt.
Scott Randolph, the tax collector for Orange County, told CNBC that the Reedy Creek district collects about $105 million a year in general revenue, on top of the more than $280 million Disney pays in property taxes — making it the largest taxpayer in central Florida.........

The legislation approved Thursday by lawmakers seeks to sunset Reedy Creek by June 2023. If dissolved, the responsibility for municipal services then falls upon the neighboring counties of Orange and Osceola.

"If you dissolved Reedy Creek, that $105 million in revenue literally goes away, it doesn't get transferred," Randolph said, therefore saddling taxpayers to cover part, if not all, of the costs............

But aside from responsibility for municipal services, tax experts and legislators also warned that dissolving the district means transferring its bond liabilities — totaling between $1 billion and $1.7 billion — to other local governments, CNBC reported.
You snipped out the other parts of the article which mention how the impact is mitigated.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 7:08 am Off topic but perhaps charter schools are better in the US.

It is time for corporations and schools to stay out of culture wars. Schools and playgrounds and homes should not be battlegrounds and Disney will fail fighting against parental rights. Disney stock is down, as is stock for most streaming companies like Netflix. Disney better learn quick. People are tired of rising costs, woke content, less good content. Netflix dropped by 35% this week. These companies have responsibility to their shareholders to make money from their services, not battle ideology.
Charter schools are a joke, but give it to the libertarians to go rah rah ...

And sadly yes, corporations only have a responsibility to their shareholders, too often they are shown to not give a care about society in general ... make a buck and the rest can :cuss: off ...

As a former Disney employee I doubt their intentions are rooted in morality ... but it'd be nice if they are actually showing some care for the customers and staff who would be affected more directly from crap like this ...
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

gertlush wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 8:30 am
foenix wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 6:31 am Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite the face. DeathSantis is such a Fool. If the Americans elect him President in 2024, they deserve anything coming to them.

You snipped out the other parts of the article which mention how the impact is mitigated.
Which part of the 1.7 bond liability is going to be mitigated?
State Senate Minority Leader Gary Farmer told CNBC if the liabilities are shifted to Orange and Osceola counties, the debt could add another $1,000 per taxpayer.

"If the counties are left holding the bag, the state might have to come to their aid," Farmer said. "So it's not even just a tax issue for these two counties. It affects every taxpayer in the state of Florida."
That's a thousand dollar bill for each citizens of Florida. It's mind boggling, the irresponsible Florida GOP aren't even doing a study on the overall impact of stripping Disney's special status. That's called cutting off one's nose to spite the face......but it's a typical DeathSantis move.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

spooker wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 9:54 am Charter schools are a joke, but give it to the libertarians to go rah rah ...

And sadly yes, corporations only have a responsibility to their shareholders, too often they are shown to not give a care about society in general ... make a buck and the rest can :cuss: off ...

As a former Disney employee I doubt their intentions are rooted in morality ... but it'd be nice if they are actually showing some care for the customers and staff who would be affected more directly from crap like this ...
The period from 2000 to 2020 saw an increase of 1,993 to 7,547 charter schools throughout the United States. 17% of charter schools produce significantly better results than any public school at 70% cost per student. So, I doubt they are just a joke. The most important thing is accessibility to a good education at a reasonable cost. Public schools keep saying they need more money to do a better job.

I am all for corporations giving back to a community, and many do even if it is for the wrong reasons. They get tax breaks. Any corporation giving to a community can do so in a non-partisan, kid friendly way. It is not their place to usurp Government policy, violate shareholders, or attempt to engineer their own utopic vision. Disney has been involved in this for decades as they attempt to reshape social/moral values in young children. It's really about undermining traditional parental authority and influence as a small number of Hollywood activists push woke-ness. Rewarding staff is good, but letting staff creatively run amok while collaborating with the social engineering department is not a good idea. Even parents in California are fighting back and for along time corporations planned their mischief in secret.

I used to have a naïve outlook towards Disney but not any longer. The last few years have seen shocking headlines from them as they double-down in to woke-ness and culture wars. How can they be trusted? Elon should buy up Disney while he's at it.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Zedi
Lord of the Board

Post by Zedi »

If you think its ok for teachers to talk to kids 4-8 years old about sexual orientation you need your head checked. If a stranger talked to any kid about whether they are straight, gay, trans, anything sexual in nature thats criminal. I support what Desantis is doing by leaving the discussion up to the parents. All one has to do Is look at the libs of tick tock videos to see what some of these so called progressive teachers are indoctrinating kids with.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Do charter schools get better academic results than public schools?

No. The charter school sector does not get better academic results than
public schools and often performs worse. Charters sometimes appear to do
better because they can control the types of students they choose to serve.
https://networkforpubliceducation.org/w ... %C6%92.pdf
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Disney no longer has it's own private government within Florida. No more special status for the Mouse.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... li=BBqdc3x
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Queen K wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 1:17 pm Disney no longer has it's own private government within Florida. No more special status for the Mouse.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... li=BBqdc3x
Disney should announce they are reviewing their options for where to locate the corporate side of things with a decision coming in 1 year. DeSantis is up for reelection in November. He won against the Democratic nominee by 32,463 votes in 2018. Disney employees alone number over 30,000 let alone the other voters who are upset with this decision. Imagine making taxpayers pay an extra $1,000 a year because a company supported the LBGT community? That's what this boils down to and I imagine the voters will be pretty upset when they realize this.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
spooker

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 12:24 pm
spooker wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 9:54 am Charter schools are a joke, but give it to the libertarians to go rah rah ...

The period from 2000 to 2020 saw an increase of 1,993 to 7,547 charter schools throughout the United States. 17% of charter schools produce significantly better results than any public school at 70% cost per student. So, I doubt they are just a joke. The most important thing is accessibility to a good education at a reasonable cost. Public schools keep saying they need more money to do a better job.

[...snip...]

I used to have a naïve outlook towards Disney but not any longer. The last few years have seen shocking headlines from them as they double-down in to woke-ness and culture wars. How can they be trusted? Elon should buy up Disney while he's at it.
Considering the amount of fraud that is being exposed through the Charter School program it seems more like the growth is being driven by a get-rich outlook by those setting them up ... and I haven't been able to find anything that shows students outperforming public school students ... glad to read something if you have it ... if I remember correctly that billionaire that whats-his-face appointed as Secretary of Education kept pushing charter schools and it just reeked of conflict of interest ...

Elon buying Disney? Isn't that like the devil hiring more demons?

We should get back to the topic though ... since it's being reported as being signed into law by the guv'nr himself I guess we now just get to wait and see who's right ... taxes for everyone in the state going up? Disney walking away?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

spooker wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm
Jlabute wrote: Apr 22nd, 2022, 12:24 pm

[...snip...]

Considering the amount of fraud that is being exposed through the Charter School program it seems more like the growth is being driven by a get-rich outlook by those setting them up ... and I haven't been able to find anything that shows students outperforming public school students ... glad to read something if you have it ... if I remember correctly that billionaire that whats-his-face appointed as Secretary of Education kept pushing charter schools and it just reeked of conflict of interest ...

Elon buying Disney? Isn't that like the devil hiring more demons?

We should get back to the topic though ... since it's being reported as being signed into law by the guv'nr himself I guess we now just get to wait and see who's right ... taxes for everyone in the state going up? Disney walking away?
Every school system has methods of fraud, including the public school system. Parents are so distraught over public school systems that charter schools are seeing an annual 7% enrolment increase, while public enrolment was down 3%. Fraud is discovered and weeded out. Charter schools are much less woke, provide best results, and discipline/train teachers real-time.

Even public and school library librarians are predominantly leftist, so you see lots of grade-school level books about, RBG, or AOC, and Hillary, but none about Reagan, or Thomas Sewell, etc. Parents are sick of the indoctrination/propaganda that Disney is now also pushing. If we live in a democracy and not a Corporatocracy, then Disney in Florida should abide by what voters want, and not what California/Hollywood wants.

Elon would ensure the destruction of children ends, and Disney returns to being a profitable entertainment company.
Last edited by Jlabute on Apr 23rd, 2022, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Social Concerns”