Catalytic Converters thefts

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Catalytic Converters thefts

Post by GordonH »

Why bother cutting catalytic converters out just rips it them out from under the vehicle.
https://globalnews.ca/video/8789521/cat ... r-methods/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Catalytic Converters thefts

Post by alanjh595 »

Any idea if those Cat thefts are covered by insurance? Comprehensive coverage should cover this. I know it is of small comfort, but perhaps a little insurance can save $2000.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

The real problem is the unscrupulous metal scrapyards that buy the stolen catalytic converters.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Hurtlander wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 9:04 am The real problem is the unscrupulous metal scrapyards that buy the stolen catalytic converters.
Make the fines huge for illegal possession of a catalytic converter.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 8:26 am Any idea if those Cat thefts are covered by insurance? Comprehensive coverage should cover this. I know it is of small comfort, but perhaps a little insurance can save $2000.
Yes, it's a comprehensive claim. You pay your deductible and insurance pays the rest.
Hurtlander wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 9:04 am The real problem is the unscrupulous metal scrapyards that buy the stolen catalytic converters.
Yes, take away the market for stolen catalytic converters and no more thefts. All it would take is some work by police and bylaw departments of various cities. Junk yard buying converters, large fine first offense, no business license second offense. Someone would have to come up with a format for proof of ownership of converters, as there are junked vehicles that have legit used converters for scrap.
Bsuds wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 9:46 am Make the fines huge for illegal possession of a catalytic converter.
Yes, but the problem is they aren't going to re-write the Criminal Code for just this, so it has to be an across the board effort by all municipalities to crack down using bylaws. As long as there are one or two scrap buyers not policing the purchase, that's where the crooks are going to go.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It's not the converter as a whole that is worth $$, it's what is inside them.
Catalytic converters contain trace amounts of precious metals, including platinum, palladium and rhodium, which in early March hit nearly $30,000 per ounce.
The thieves could extract the valuable materials and sell them via a different broker and probably get more $$$$, because they have reduced the labour required by the scrap metal dealer.

The raw precious metals are untraceable and are easier to dispose of than an whole cat. conv.

The same thing happened to scrap copper scam, wire and domestic pipes in particular. If the person making the sale (the thief) didn't have the weakest of reason for having that copper, it was supposed to be reported, BUT if they stripped the insulation off (making it more $/lb) and melted it enough to make it unidentifiable, it went unreported.

The same situation is also in full growth mode with stolen bicycles today.
Bring back the LIKE button.
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

Whats the big deal, we can always just import more palladium from R... oh wait, never mind
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Government could make a difference by requiring every catalytic converter purchased from a person to be tagged and a driver's license produced
. And then in coordination the police set up a sting and agreed to meet with the two guys that drive around through the valley on different days purchasing them from people from their Facebook ad (like they bought from me) and check every single one they have picked up so far and get all the information on who sold it to them and if they don't have all the information for all of then every single catalytic converter get seized and they get charged with the astronomical fine. We've all seen the ads if you use Facebook Marketplace for the guys who buy catalytic converters off you. It would not be very hard since there are drug stings all the time. But you have to keep in mind the government really doesn't care about the people or the challenges we face.
All it would take was tweaking the law a little bit making it harder to purchase and sell your catalytic converter and then implementing astronomical fines for having a catalytic converter in your possession with no proof of where it came from. That's what I would do anyway
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It took years to do but pawn shops now have to document transactions, do the same scrap metal places.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Not going to fly in today's courts.

Tying a particular catalytic converter to a particular vehicle is pretty well impossible. All the guy has to say is that he found it.
And possession of stolen property? It won't fly either.

Laws will have to change first. So don't hold your breath.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

bb49 wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 7:03 pm Not going to fly in today's courts.

Tying a particular catalytic converter to a particular vehicle is pretty well impossible. All the guy has to say is that he found it.
And possession of stolen property? It won't fly either.

Laws will have to change first. So don't hold your breath.
But you can legislate "found" catalytic converters can't be purchased.

You can't have a derelict vehicle towed to a crusher without proper documentation, same type of situation.

The industry needs to have a paper trail.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

easiest way to stop this is make a bylaw that prevents metal dealers from buying them at any price. then set up a govt run collection for ones that do burn out by use. :smt045
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .

Return to “Social Concerns”