Be warned. Be aware

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Be warned. Be aware

Post by Catsumi »

A prosperous pal of mine received a debit card in the mail, in his name, from a bank he does not deal with.

He phoned them to ask why they sent a card as he doesn’t deal with them…he was told that whomever opened the account had all his details, including DOB, home address, SIN, etc.

Long story short, the Bank sent out a debit card. Perhaps the perp didn’t realize the Bank would do that.

The only thing my pal could come up with to explain this breach of his ‘secure’ info was that he had done his taxes online.
That was the only possible circumstance where he had to use all his personal info.

We already know that CRA has been hacked in the past [Chinese?] and that possibly this is another one, yet to be admitted by the CRA. Who knows?

So now my pal has to do daily Equifax searches, daily check his bank balance, alert all those that receive payments by direct withdrawals, etc. A royal PIA as that is time consuming and also the worry that perp might borrow against his excellent credit built up over the years.

In the meantime, he has had to cancel internet provider services and take steps for virus/hack protection.

The only reason I am telling you this is in case YOU receive an unasked for debit card from a Bank you do NOT deal with. Do not ignore receipt, get on the phone immediately and from there, take the necessary steps to protect your financial health.
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 9th, 2022, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Be warned. Be aware

Post by lesliepaul »

POINT TAKEN.........good post with a warning!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

None of that has happened here yet but am still waiting for my CIBC/Costco card.
How many months has it been now? I wonder where it went?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

bb49 wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 7:18 pm None of that has happened here yet but am still waiting for my CIBC/Costco card.
Why ask us BB49? You’ve recently changed address, so yes, where is the darn card?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Crooks are getting very crafty nowadays. It's getting harder and harder to weed them out. Recently, I had a vehicle purchased in my name with a fake ID that looked like me. What happened, a clerk in the bank which I dealt with stole and leaked my personal info to the crooks.
Nummy yummy

Post by Nummy yummy »

This person should have been more careful. Bad choices.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Queen K wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 8:22 pm
bb49 wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 7:18 pm None of that has happened here yet but am still waiting for my CIBC/Costco card.
I know where your card went. For $88.00 in equal payments of four I shall reveal all at the end of it. Cash please, we know how the 'net is. :admin:
It's in the mail. :biggrin:
Let me know when you get it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Once they get one bit of info they can get the rest
People need to change their passwords more often, , make sure they use secure sites
I only use the ATM at the bank, worried in big public places someone has a reader
Cats, is this well off friend looking to adopt?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
ok-weezy
Fledgling

Post by ok-weezy »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 8:19 pm Crooks are getting very crafty nowadays. It's getting harder and harder to weed them out. Recently, I had a vehicle purchased in my name with a fake ID that looked like me. What happened, a clerk in the bank which I dealt with stole and leaked my personal info to the crooks.
Sounds like you could have a court case?
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

I understand it will mailed out in August.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I have questions about the story in the OP. A bank card is obtained as a result of a bank account. Thus there are many questions to be posed about that. Someone with the "where with all" to fraudulently obtain a bank account in another persons identity (called "personation" ) was then so careless to have the address on the account the victim's address ?

When someone is personated with the use of an abundance of personal details (mother's maiden name etc) it's usually someone close to the victim. Personal info can be stolen from hacking or data theft, but likely not with the same detail.

The key to a successful personation is to change the victim's address and phone number. A credit application that is verified by the financial institution with the credit agency (Equifax or TransUnion) results in the false address and phone number forming part of the credit bureaus records. First to enable the perpetrator to obtain documents such as bank cards or credit cards and also the cut follow up inquiries and notifications to the real person.

If one is the victim of personation they can take steps to, basically " lock their credit". Any time credit is applied for by "that person" be that, the real person or someone claiming to be, the credit granter is advised to take extra steps to insure it's really the actual person. It's a bit of a pain, but stops further personation. That and frequent credit checks will stop that portion of the problem.

The purchasing of anything that requires financing is nipped in the bud. The registering of vehicles is another problem.

Someone getting a drivers licence in the victims name is pretty remote in that the ICBC office confirms the identity of the applicant (for example an application for a replacement DL) by viewing the photo they have on file from any previous renewal or replacement DL.

I was personated. The credit, in the form of credit cards was given by over enthusiastic credit card companies more interested in issuing new cards than insuring the legitimate person was applying (all on line applications).
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

my5cents wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 10:00 am I have questions about the story in the OP. A bank card is obtained as a result of a bank account. Thus there are many questions to be posed about that. Someone with the "where with all" to fraudulently obtain a bank account in another persons identity (called "personation" ) was then so careless to have the address on the account the victim's address ?

When someone is personated with the use of an abundance of personal details (mother's maiden name etc) it's usually someone close to the victim. Personal info can be stolen from hacking or data theft, but likely not with the same detail.

The key to a successful personation is to change the victim's address and phone number. A credit application that is verified by the financial institution with the credit agency (Equifax or TransUnion) results in the false address and phone number forming part of the credit bureaus records. First to enable the perpetrator to obtain documents such as bank cards or credit cards and also the cut follow up inquiries and notifications to the real person.

If one is the victim of personation they can take steps to, basically " lock their credit". Any time credit is applied for by "that person" be that, the real person or someone claiming to be, the credit granter is advised to take extra steps to insure it's really the actual person. It's a bit of a pain, but stops further personation. That and frequent credit checks will stop that portion of the problem.

The purchasing of anything that requires financing is nipped in the bud. The registering of vehicles is another problem.

Someone getting a drivers licence in the victims name is pretty remote in that the ICBC office confirms the identity of the applicant (for example an application for a replacement DL) by viewing the photo they have on file from any previous renewal or replacement DL.

I was personated. The credit, in the form of credit cards was given by over enthusiastic credit card companies more interested in issuing new cards than insuring the legitimate person was applying (all on line applications).
Yes, it definitely was miraculous in a way that the bank sent out a debit card to my pal, setting off the whole investigation. Had the bank NOT sent the card, my pal would be blissfully unaware that someone was using his info to set up accounts (btw, the fraudulent bank account had zero balance).

Yes, 5cents, it was figured that the debit card was not what the perp wanted…probably just wanting to set up accounts elsewhere which actually happened. A bank in Richmond was also in process of setting up another account in my pal’s name when the fraud alert came out, so they shut it down immediately and notified RCMP, Equifax, etc.

A very troubling scenario. My friend has no need of credit but should this happen to someone who needs to apply for credit, it’ll turn into a nightmare for them

Anyway, just pay heed unless you have nothing else to do with your time and energy.

I am still partially convinced it has something to do with CRA tax time…or maybe money laundering…or implanting a Chinese spy or some such.

Unknown
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

ok-weezy wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 7:12 am Sounds like you could have a court case?
The guy got arrested already. But probably back to "work" in a few days.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

oldtrucker wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 10:08 am Our current joke of a govt encourages this. The entire country is a giant criminal enterprise now. Even if caught,nothing will happen to the thief.
Sorry for the length, but it's worthwhile....

Whether someone is charged or not, it's a problem that has to be address by the victim. Both resolving the issue and preventing further fraud.

If you want to really identify missing elements and lack of enforcement it starts long before a suspect is identified. The companies issuing the credit without properly identifying applicants and the credit bureaus in their dealing with information of victims.

Examples:
• Credit being issued without any human contact
• Issuing credit without obtaining irrefutable documentation, such as recent utility bills in the name and address of the applicant
• Credit bureaus require legitimate subjects to fully identify themselves with such things as driver's license, recent utility bill and personal details, BUT release credit information to their paying commercial credit granting companies, and changing personal information of subjects on the strength of information from those credit granting companies who did not screen the person claiming to be you well at all.
• Poor incomplete follow up by credit bureaus and collections departments of credit companies

For example IF you are the victim of personation, let's say a credit card (or many) are fraudulently obtained in your name....

Who are the victim(s) ?

• You, in that your identity was used by someone to obtain credit in your name. That's called "Personation".
• The company that granted credit. They have lost money by fraud. That's called "Fraud"

What will happen when you discover the personation/fraud ?

• You checked you credit report. To do so you had to go through many hoops and confirmations to prove to the credit bureau that you are who you say you are.
• You get your credit report, it a long complicated document. As you read through you see that your address was changed to an address you don't recognize and never lived at. Also your phone number is different. Then you see agencies that have checked your credit. Perhaps your own bank (normal), a cell phone company, you just got a new cell phone (normal), but then you see "a" (or multiple) checks from credit card companies that you don't deal with,,, (what ?!)
• Then you get to the area where it shows your debts and payments, high balance the payments and frequency. You'll find your legit ones and likely they are accurate. Then you see the credit card company that you don't deal with that checked your credit and see you have an outstanding balance and no payments and likely no payments at all.
• The credit bureau (Equifax or TransUnion) will have also supplied a disputed form with your credit report, you can tell them that you don't agree with something. You of course send that to them.

In due course you will get a reply from the credit bureau that they have checked with the credit card company and the credit card company says that it is your debt. If you want further action you should contact them.

You do. You call, they ask you for the credit card number, but you don't have the full number only the last few numbers because that's all that's on the credit report, but they find your account. It's been in default for many months ! Why haven't they contacted you ?? That's because the person who got the credit gave them "your new address" and "new" phone number.

You explain that you didn't apply for credit, you may point out that you have an other credit card(s) and they are all current and you've had them for years. They don't care. "When can we expect payment ?" You continue. Their response, "Well you'll have to report this to the police and if they confirm that this isn't you we'll deal with it. But you have to report this to the police.

Now who is the major victim ? The credit card company. They were the author of their own misfortune by granting credit without fully checking the applicant out. But you are the one reporting this to the police ??

So you want to report this to the police, hopefully to resolve the issue.

Some of the question the police will ask:
• What credit card was it ? "It was a <type and institution> ie "Royal Bank VISA"
• When was this credit card applied for ? "I don't know"
• What was the credit card number ? "I don't know, all the credit bureau report gave me was the last 4 digits"
• How was the credit card obtained ? "I don't know"
• Did someone go in a apply for it ? "I don't know"
• Where did they apply for it ? "I don't know"
• Where was the card used ? "I don't know"
• What ID was produced ? "I don't know"
• Did you loose your wallet or any ID ? "No"

Anyone see any flaws in the system so far ?

Oh, and likely even though you've called the credit card company and supplied them with your real name and phone number and told them that they have been the victim of fraud by someone using you identity. Dollars to donuts they will send the file to a collection agency, who will begin calling you.

The calls will be interesting because they will ask when you are going to pay the debt. You'll explain the fraud/personation, they will say "well why would the credit card company assign this to us". You'll say, HOW THE HECK (or stronger) WOULD I KNOW THAT ? Don't forget they are in the business of dealing with lying low life scum, so are they likely to believe you ?

The calls will continue. If you check legislation you will find that if you send the collection agency a registered letter giving your correct address and agree to accept mail from them, they will be prohibited from phoning you.

Your likely to get a call from the person at the credit card company collections department that you initially dealt with. Likely within a few days of you agreeing to report the incident to the police.

Credit Card Collections Dept: "What have the police come up with ?"
You: "It's only been five days. Nothing yet."
Credit Card Collections Dept: "How long will this be"
You: "How would I know ?"

All the while the police are "investigating" you are a bad debt to the credit card company and the collection agency, and now they have your address and phone number. Likely you will get a legal demand for the money threatening a law suit.

And, don't forget.... you did nothing wrong. The credit card company did a poor job of screening a credit applicant. That made you a victim. You responsibly advise the credit card company and even though you've been truthful they are now chasing you for the bad debt, you are now a victim of the credit card company.

Oh, and the credit bureau ? All the phony addresses and phone numbers, and the credit enquires about your information by the credit card company that was given out on weak identifying of "you" by the crook, shows on your credit report and will REMAIN, no matter what happens.

So the three or four times that "Acme Collections Agency" checked your credit information will be on your report for all to see if you apply for credit in the future. It will take years and years for it to drop off as all old enquires do.

You were a victim of the crook, the credit bureaus, the credit card company(s) and the collection agencies.

Sucks to be you.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

my5cents wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 11:46 am
oldtrucker wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 10:08 am Our current joke of a govt encourages this. The entire country is a giant criminal enterprise now. Even if caught,nothing will happen to the thief.
Sorry for the length, but it's worthwhile....

Whether someone is charged or not, it's a problem that has to be address by the victim. Both resolving the issue and preventing further fraud.

If you want to really identify missing elements and lack of enforcement it starts long before a suspect is identified. The companies issuing the credit without properly identifying applicants and the credit bureaus in their dealing with information of victims.

Examples:
• Credit being issued without any human contact
• Issuing credit without obtaining irrefutable documentation, such as recent utility bills in the name and address of the applicant
• Credit bureaus require legitimate subjects to fully identify themselves with such things as driver's license, recent utility bill and personal details, BUT release credit information to their paying commercial credit granting companies, and changing personal information of subjects on the strength of information from those credit granting companies who did not screen the person claiming to be you well at all.
• Poor incomplete follow up by credit bureaus and collections departments of credit companies

For example IF you are the victim of personation, let's say a credit card (or many) are fraudulently obtained in your name....

Who are the victim(s) ?

• You, in that your identity was used by someone to obtain credit in your name. That's called "Personation".
• The company that granted credit. They have lost money by fraud. That's called "Fraud"

What will happen when you discover the personation/fraud ?

• You checked you credit report. To do so you had to go through many hoops and confirmations to prove to the credit bureau that you are who you say you are.
• You get your credit report, it a long complicated document. As you read through you see that your address was changed to an address you don't recognize and never lived at. Also your phone number is different. Then you see agencies that have checked your credit. Perhaps your own bank (normal), a cell phone company, you just got a new cell phone (normal), but then you see "a" (or multiple) checks from credit card companies that you don't deal with,,, (what ?!)
• Then you get to the area where it shows your debts and payments, high balance the payments and frequency. You'll find your legit ones and likely they are accurate. Then you see the credit card company that you don't deal with that checked your credit and see you have an outstanding balance and no payments and likely no payments at all.
• The credit bureau (Equifax or TransUnion) will have also supplied a disputed form with your credit report, you can tell them that you don't agree with something. You of course send that to them.

In due course you will get a reply from the credit bureau that they have checked with the credit card company and the credit card company says that it is your debt. If you want further action you should contact them.

You do. You call, they ask you for the credit card number, but you don't have the full number only the last few numbers because that's all that's on the credit report, but they find your account. It's been in default for many months ! Why haven't they contacted you ?? That's because the person who got the credit gave them "your new address" and "new" phone number.

You explain that you didn't apply for credit, you may point out that you have an other credit card(s) and they are all current and you've had them for years. They don't care. "When can we expect payment ?" You continue. Their response, "Well you'll have to report this to the police and if they confirm that this isn't you we'll deal with it. But you have to report this to the police.

Now who is the major victim ? The credit card company. They were the author of their own misfortune by granting credit without fully checking the applicant out. But you are the one reporting this to the police ??

So you want to report this to the police, hopefully to resolve the issue.

Some of the question the police will ask:
• What credit card was it ? "It was a <type and institution> ie "Royal Bank VISA"
• When was this credit card applied for ? "I don't know"
• What was the credit card number ? "I don't know, all the credit bureau report gave me was the last 4 digits"
• How was the credit card obtained ? "I don't know"
• Did someone go in a apply for it ? "I don't know"
• Where did they apply for it ? "I don't know"
• Where was the card used ? "I don't know"
• What ID was produced ? "I don't know"
• Did you loose your wallet or any ID ? "No"

Anyone see any flaws in the system so far ?

Oh, and likely even though you've called the credit card company and supplied them with your real name and phone number and told them that they have been the victim of fraud by someone using you identity. Dollars to donuts they will send the file to a collection agency, who will begin calling you.

The calls will be interesting because they will ask when you are going to pay the debt. You'll explain the fraud/personation, they will say "well why would the credit card company assign this to us". You'll say, HOW THE HECK (or stronger) WOULD I KNOW THAT ? Don't forget they are in the business of dealing with lying low life scum, so are they likely to believe you ?

The calls will continue. If you check legislation you will find that if you send the collection agency a registered letter giving your correct address and agree to accept mail from them, they will be prohibited from phoning you.

Your likely to get a call from the person at the credit card company collections department that you initially dealt with. Likely within a few days of you agreeing to report the incident to the police.

Credit Card Collections Dept: "What have the police come up with ?"
You: "It's only been five days. Nothing yet."
Credit Card Collections Dept: "How long will this be"
You: "How would I know ?"

All the while the police are "investigating" you are a bad debt to the credit card company and the collection agency, and now they have your address and phone number. Likely you will get a legal demand for the money threatening a law suit.

And, don't forget.... you did nothing wrong. The credit card company did a poor job of screening a credit applicant. That made you a victim. You responsibly advise the credit card company and even though you've been truthful they are now chasing you for the bad debt, you are now a victim of the credit card company.

Oh, and the credit bureau ? All the phony addresses and phone numbers, and the credit enquires about your information by the credit card company that was given out on weak identifying of "you" by the crook, shows on your credit report and will REMAIN, no matter what happens.

So the three or four times that "Acme Collections Agency" checked your credit information will be on your report for all to see if you apply for credit in the future. It will take years and years for it to drop off as all old enquires do.

You were a victim of the crook, the credit bureaus, the credit card company(s) and the collection agencies.

Sucks to be you.
It truly sucks. You are caught up in the maw of bureaucrats for at least two years or more.

Are you finally free 5cents? If not, keep us posted, please.

This ugly scenario can happen to ANY one of us…hence I started this thread as a warning that NOT is all well with our banks, CRA, credit card companies, etc.

We are sitting ducks unaware of the evil doers out there. Bang, bang!

Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”