Violence in Mazatlan

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Violence in Mazatlan

Post by Lady tehMa »

So, someone I am acquainted with is stuck down there, hopefully on his way home soon!

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2158745155605

But I know some of our Castanut Snowbirds are currently down south - has anyone heard from them? Are they okay? I don't know if they're in the same region as the cartel violence, am hoping not.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Violence in Mazatlan

Post by Fancy »

Couple say the lockdown ended.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Makes Okanagan a more appealing tourist destination. :up:
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

gang violence has been a known issue all over Mexico - that is the risk you take if you go
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

BC Landlord wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 3:35 pm Makes Okanagan a more appealing tourist destination. :up:
Really? There was a shootout a block away from my house when my kids were playing in the front yard. We're not immune to violence. Although I'd be more worried about visiting the US with their gun violence then I would ever worry about in Mexico.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Old Sailor
Board Meister

Post by Old Sailor »

JLives wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 4:01 pm Although I'd be more worried about visiting the US with their gun violence then I would ever worry about in Mexico.
They are both bad for violence.
Hello Darkness my old friend...I stood up too fast again!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

JLives wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 4:01 pm
BC Landlord wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 3:35 pm Makes Okanagan a more appealing tourist destination. :up:
Really? There was a shootout a block away from my house when my kids were playing in the front yard. We're not immune to violence. Although I'd be more worried about visiting the US with their gun violence then I would ever worry about in Mexico.
And then there's Surrey.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JLives wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 4:01 pm Really? There was a shootout a block away from my house when my kids were playing in the front yard. We're not immune to violence. Although I'd be more worried about visiting the US with their gun violence then I would ever worry about in Mexico.
And there was a brutal double-murder just south of Summerland last year. But it ain't some army-strong, blood-thirsty cartel terrorizing the entire population, including tourists.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Take the big scary guns away and it's just like Vancouver’s Stanley Cup riot.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Our News Media loves to give Mexico a bad rap every chance it gets & I question if Kelowna is really that much different ?
We've had the shootout at the Grand Hotel & several other serious incidents that happen on a regular basics.
I've got lady friends that don't go downtown during the day because they don't feel comfortable & wouldn't dream of going at night.
I've been to Cancun & felt perfectly safe & I'm going to Mazatlan in February. Do I worry, not at all.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/C ... rts-reopen
Some Canadians set to return from Mexico's Mazatlan area as airports reopen

And who will be there waiting for them?
The media. Mikes will be shoved in their faces, silly questions asked,
were you terrified?
did you defecate in your pants?
will you ever go back to Mexico again?
do you feel the canadian govt looked after you?
are you going to sue your airline?

#StandUpToJewishHate
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 8:39 pm Take the big scary guns away and it's just like Vancouver’s Stanley Cup riot.
Speaking of "big scary guns", a few years back I went to the Arizona's annual "Big Sandy Shoot" event. You could find there anything from a hand gun, through heavy machine guns, cannons, to fully functional battle tanks. All in private hands. I got to shoot from a German MG-42, and it was fun.

Nothing "scary".

Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

one wheel wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 11:42 pm Our News Media loves to give Mexico a bad rap every chance it gets & I question if Kelowna is really that much different ?
We've had the shootout at the Grand Hotel & several other serious incidents that happen on a regular basics.
I've got lady friends that don't go downtown during the day because they don't feel comfortable & wouldn't dream of going at night.
I've been to Cancun & felt perfectly safe & I'm going to Mazatlan in February. Do I worry, not at all.
Talking to friends who live in Culiacan this week, they confirmed nobody was leaving their homes… everything there and in Sinaloa was shut down (things in Michoacán were also considerably quieter with most people laying low). They say that 99% of the time it’s safe in Culiacan because the cartels are run like strict businesses by smart businesspeople.

This was the 1% of the time when it wasn’t safe and was scary.

This was nothing like the Delta Grand shooting or downtown Kelowna.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 8th, 2023, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 8th, 2023, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Social Concerns”