Mmmmmm warm beer!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
countmeout
Übergod

Re: Mmmmmm warm beer!

Post by countmeout »

BC Landlord wrote: Mar 28th, 2023, 9:13 am Let me try explaining it again ... Refrigeration works on the principle of exchanging heat. The energy required to exchange that heat is proportional to mass of the object (qty of beer) and the temperature differential (initial minus setpoint).
In other words, anything you put in your fridge, it affects its compressor's duty cycle. The warmer and larger the thing you put into it, the more hard it needs to work. And the compressor doesn't run on unicorn fart.

So it all boils down to refrigerator's efficiency. There is obsoletely no chance that the thermal energy (per unit of mass, say a six-pack) could somehow be transferred more efficiently in a less efficient device. That would defy laws of thermodynamics and conservation of energy.
Yep, agree with all that you state. There are still more losses thru the walls, glass doors, etc. The refrigerator's only loss isn't cooling the beer. If you had it full of beer and didn't open the door for 2 weeks, it would cycle on and off, using electricity.

A fridge uses more power trying to stay cold due to losses thru the walls etc than they do cooling a few beers, as shown with math in my many examples. You're a landlord, I expected you to understand thermal loss thru walls. Even if your tenants don't open the windows or doors, the house heat will still come on in the winter.

Done explaining this. Try pointing a thermal camera at a fridge if you don't believe me.
Chadsetti69

Post by Chadsetti69 »

If we go back to salting to preserve and ban refrigerators we can save the whales. Nobody really needs a refrigerator. We're all in this together.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

A fridge uses more power trying to stay cold due to losses thru the walls etc than they do cooling a few beers, as shown with math in my many examples.
Unless the fridge is backing upon an internal wall.

That way, the heat given off will add to interior heat and reduce the amount of heat that the furnace would need to make up.

If you are concerned about the cost of cooling your beers, you should be keeping them outside during the winter months.......that should reduce the energy consumption for 6 months of the year.

If that is not enough to reduce your mental stress for the entire year, then I suggest you switch to Scotch during the summer.
Bring back the LIKE button.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Chadsetti69 wrote: Apr 24th, 2023, 10:23 am Nobody really needs a refrigerator.
Yes, they actually do.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We jolly well do.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
VaxisSafe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by VaxisSafe »

Chadsetti69 wrote: Apr 24th, 2023, 10:23 am If we go back to salting to preserve and ban refrigerators we can save the whales. Nobody really needs a refrigerator. We're all in this together.
:up:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Chadsetti69 wrote: Apr 24th, 2023, 10:23 am If we go back to salting to preserve and ban refrigerators we can save the whales. Nobody really needs a refrigerator. We're all in this together.
How do you keep things cold?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

I read this as a sarcasm ...

Return to “Social Concerns”